Finally - it's over

Daniel A

As some of you will remember I've long been a fan of Duke Pearson, even if it was perhaps more apparent on the BNBB (he was probably discussed a little more back there). I have all of his leader dates and I have heard most if not all other recordings he participated in.

Well, not exactly true. There was one album I never got when it was reissued by Koch in the late 90s - 'Prairie Dog'. It's not like it's a rare album or anything and it could probably be found instantly online, but I never tried that hard. Why? Because then there wouldn't be any unheard Duke Pearson left.

Then today after work I walked into a used record store. I picked a Nicholas Payton album I suspected was OOP, an early Clare Fischer big band album on Pacific Jazz (Extension), and then suddenly - a cheap CD copy of Prairie Dog lay before my eyes. After a moment of hesitation I decided that now was the time.

So now I'm sitting at home, trying to figure out how I should go about listening to it. I think I'll make some tea, sit down, close my eyes and just listen. (It somehow reminds me of the moment years ago when I finally broke the seal on that first pressing of 'Sweet Honey Bee'.)

And then perhaps start to think of how I should live my life post completing Pearson collection.

So how is the 'Prairie Dog'? :D

A bit more melancholic than Pearson's other albums, but quite right for my mood at the moment.

Picked up the 'Dedication' CD not too long ago - I'd held off that one for quite some time. Well worth getting hold of IMO - there's always something of interest in all of the DP sessions that I have come across.

Except that 'Dedication' is a Willie Wilson session. :P

Why not open a Dunkin' Donuts franchise?
Or a cat farm?

_images_cat-piano.gif

I know how you feel - I completed my Grant green collection a few weeks ago with the Mary Lou Williams. Now I'm just waiting for the unissued material.

I think it's kind of a good feeling; but at the same time, there's nothing to look forward to, from a practical point of view. Lou Donaldson, I suppose, but I don't quite feel the same about Lou.

MG

Hush is a very enjoyable date. Some (but not all) of the tracks feature both Johnny Coles and Donald Byrd; the latter plays rather better than usual. Pearson himself also sounds more confident as a soloist than on some of his other recordings. The trio tracks are arguably a bit more low key, but all in all I'd say that this is actually one of my favourite Pearson albums.

I can feel with you - I'm almost at the same point as far as Cal Tjader is concerned!

Prairie Dog must have been among my first 50 jazz LPs - there was a shop in the mall where my parents used to go once a week which always had a lot of Atlantic cutouts. I like this LP, in spite of the inconsistency of moods and the slightly strange sound. I consider the version of Ron Carter's Little Waltz on this album the best ever done of this tune - all the solos are concise and on the point. A perfect performance.

The other Atlantic Sweet Honey Bee was the one I never saw until the Koch CD was issued ....

Duke Ellington, of course. Best of luck acquiring the complete Ellington!

Check this out...

This guy is a local jazz radio treasure. According to this article he has over 600 Duke Ellington albums. Mind you this article is from 1998 so who knows how many he has by now :D

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/041698/m...llectors3.shtml