Amp Fiddler - Whatchall Know?

JSngry

My organ trio opened a show a few years back for Bernie Worrell. Bernie dug it and came out with about 3 tunes organ/trio style....caravan, ect. In his band on that gig was Amp Fiddler. Amp gave me his number and was super cool, wanted to take organ lessons and get together next time he was in town (hey, ask Bernie for some organ lessons I told him!) Anyway, a SUPER talented and humble dude. I never saw or talked to him again, but was excited to see an album of his on the DG website today. If it's his solo stuff, it's GOT to be good. He's a killer musician.

That's a good strong rec!

Yeah, out of all the cats I've met on gigs over the years....he's one that made a strong impression as a seriously humble and honest guy that didn't have to be at all. That's so rare. Yeah, I always wondered what happened to that guy. Never knew until you mentioned him Jim. Best of luck to his career. Let me know what you think of his stuff. I bet you will dig...dig?

• 6 months later...

ampfiddler~_waltzofag_101b.jpg

Finally got around to hearing Waltz Of A Ghetto Fly. Took about a week before it fully sunk in, but it finally did.

This guy's got skills, soul, and deep groove. He's also highly understated in how he puts it all across, which is why I think it didn't hit all at once. I kept listening and thinking, "I'm not hearing this the way I feel like I should. Gotta keep listening..."

Anyhow, some nastymellow grooves, some deeply soulful vocals out of the Riot-era Sly-meets-Al Green school, and knowledgeable musicianship (little details here and there that only the wise would bother with) out the wazoo. Not yet a "fully formed" talent, at least not here, but more than far enough along to be merely "promising".

Recommended, & I intend on follwing through at some point with the new one, Afro Strut.

I thought I remembered posting on this thread back then. A friend of mine came across Amp Fiddler around the same time I was being introduced by a dj to JDilla. Strange coincidence I think. They go back to the earliest stages of their careers in Detroit. Dilla does some production work on Amp's last album. I still haven't listened to Amp Fiddler much yet, but I have been well-educated on Dilla since then.

Thanks for bringing this back up Jim.

I don't know if he can be classified as a "neo soul singer", but like most in that genre, I feel like his work lacks depth to some extent. I think the comparison to Sly Stone is still pretty accurate. Mr Fiddler was also a big part (might even be his introduction or "debut", that's the first I've heard of him anyway) on a cd called "Detroit Experiment" on Ropeadope. He plays keyboards and does a pretty trippy solo version of Stevie's "Too High".

thedetroitexperiment_lg.jpg

I don't know if he can be classified as a "neo soul singer", but like most in that genre, I feel like his work lacks depth to some extent.

There's a part of me that feels the same way. But there's another part that wonders if there's not a new kind of "depth" that's developing (or maybe has already developed) that is more about "moving on" than it is staying at the same level of...whatever. The fact that this album didn't grab me by the cojones right off the bat but eventually did certainly fuels those thoughts both ways. Being a "soul person" in the 21st century is as much a different proposition as being one in the 20th century as it is an eternal proposition. So.... I don't know.

What I do think is that the best is yet to come from Amp Fiddler. At least I hope it is. We'll see. But Waltz Of A Ghetto Fly is by no means "slight". What it really is, time will tell, and on all counts.

Anyone heard the album from last year, Afro Strut?

I have Waltz and dug it and heard a few tracks from Strut that sounded good but didn't get round to buying it. It seems to have pretty much disappeared (not even listed at AMG).

Anyone heard the album from last year, Afro Strut?

I have Waltz and dug it and heard a few tracks from Strut that sounded good but didn't get round to buying it. It seems to have pretty much disappeared (not even listed at AMG).

Dusty Groove carries it. Temporarily out of stock on CD, in stock on LP.