Why do Verve recordings sound so thin and bassless?

monkboughtlunch

The original LPs were severely criticized for having poor sound quality. I don't know if Norman was cutting cost , if he simply didn't care, or if his ears were bad. Jazz, in general, was not treated as well in the audio dept. as classical. Vanguard more or less led the way to improved jazz sound quality. Manfred Eicher took it further with ECM--the audio, that is. :D

If you record a small band in such a large hall - Vanguard originally used it for their symphonic recordings - you have to know how to do it ..... microphone selection, room placement of the band and the microphones are much different from recording in a studio with a rather dead acoustics. Most importantly, you can forget about isolation - everything has to be done live, with no option for track replacement if someone goofed, and overdubs are tricky.

Joe Jackson, BTW, recorded his "Body and Soul" LP there when he was fed up with sterile modern recording studios.

Those Basie-Ites Vanguards sound terrific! I wish the CD reissues were complied with more understanding. Mosaic, please step up!

Edited by mikeweil

I've experimented with reversing speaker polarity on some of the 24 bit US Verve reissues and found good results (the Coltranes especially seem to yeild believable tonal balance after reversal).

I find that most of the new reissues that use the Sundazed reissue team (LP by Request, Billie Holiday Master takes, etc.) sound very well balanced, rich and detailed, not bass shy, right out of the case. Good move Verve!

I don't have the "Night train" CD, but the Verve CDs I own (most of them recent remasters in the Verve Elite, Verve Master Edition, LPR, Verve by request series) don't generally sound more bass-shy than CDs from other labels (Blue Note, OJC, Sony)

FWIW, I was spinning the Jpn 24-bit yesterday and the sound in the bass dept. seemed to be quite good.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen