Freddie Redd returns to NYC

jazzhound

Freddie played a flurry of gigs in L.A. from mid-2005 until early this year and then he disappeared again. The guy who booked him into Metropol (a great little club near downtown LA) says he can't find him anywhere. Too bad, as he had a standing offer to play there once or twice a month. I caught several of his gigs and some were SUBLIME and at others it was obvious Freddie was having trouble. He's got arthritis or carpal tunnel (he told me BOTH) and it's hit or miss day by day for him. All of the gigs were trio except one with Herman Riley on tenor.

But what a gentleman--and what a PLAYER!!

I would love to be at this gig in NYC. Maybe I'll go if it's for real!!

Edited by Allan Songer

do u think maybe he just played the gigs cause he wanted 2, u know like he didnt need the $ or anything...

I have heard that Freddie's finances are not good at all. In fact, there have been rumors that he's broke.

He's totally broke. I know he was living in a motel the last time I talked to him. I used to run into him over at Atomic Records once in a while, but not lately. About a year ago he told me we was living in a motel because he couldn't get enough cash together for first/last/deposit on an apartment. So fucking sad . . .

Freddie used to play at a little restaurant/club about six blocks from where I work called the Studio Grill. He played there four nights a week for about a year and a half and I used to catch a set or two at least once a week. I got to know him pretty well in those days--must be like 15-16 years ago now. He recorded a KILLER album there with Billy Higgins and Al McKibbon called "Live at the Studio Grill." I'm sure it's out of print, but if you come across it BUY it!!

Edited by Allan Songer

from the kaufman center website:

Part of Merkin Hall's Reissue: Classic Recordings Live series

Reconnected: Freddie Redd Quartet with Lou Donaldson Performs The Connection

Mon. 02.19.07 at 8PM

A jazz comeback story, forgotten bebop pianist and stage actor Freddie Redd re-emerges from obscurity to perform the music he wrote for the 1960 Obie award-winning play The Connection. Alto saxophonist Lou Donaldson will fill in for the late Jackie McLean, along with bassist Mickey Bass and drummer Ben Riley. Single Tickets: Advance: $30, Day of: $35

kaufman center

as the first line indicates, this is a series of concerts commemorating some classic jazz recordings. check out the rest of the series:

A Living Tribute to Don Cherry: Dave Douglas and Roy Campbell Perform Symphony for Improvisers

Sat. 09.16.06 8:30PM

Roy Campbell and Dave Douglas perform original music and interpretations of Don Cherry's pieces with their own quartets. Then both ensembles unite to play Cherry's seminal piece Symphony for Improvisers, featuring bassist Henry Grimes, who played on the original recording forty years ago. Other important improvisers featured in this celebration of Don Cherry's 70th birthday include bassist William Parker, drummers Andrew Cyrille and Hamid Drake and saxophonists Mixashawn and JD Allen.

Damn! missed it! :angry:

Andrew Hill Octet: The Music of Passing Ships

Tue. 11.14.06 8PM

"The best jazz album of 2003 was recorded in 1969—then shelved, lost, forgotten, rediscovered and finally released 34 years later," says The New York Times. The reference is to Andrew Hill's mysterious Blue Note release Passing Ships, an album quickly hailed by jazz critics as a masterpiece. Now in 2006, the music from Andrew Hill's early octet comes alive on the stage of Merkin Concert Hall. Hill opens the concert with his trio. Hosted by Michael Cuscuna.

Animation: Miles Davis' Bitches Brew

Sat. 12.09.06 8PM

No other record in jazz history sparked more debate than Miles Davis's infamous Bitches Brew. Now almost four decades after its original release, musicians and critics cannot deny its far-reaching influence, especially upon soprano saxophonist and Sunnyside recording artist Bob Belden, who leads Animation in a live rendering of the Miles Davis masterpiece from side A to side B. Animation features Tim Hagans, Scott Kinsey, Matt Garrison, Bill Laswell, Billy Kilson, Guy Licata and DJ Logic. Teo Macero, who produced the original Bitches Brew session, joins the proceedings.

Edited by jazzshrink

Andrew Hill Octet: The Music of Passing Ships

Tue. 11.14.06 8PM

"The best jazz album of 2003 was recorded in 1969—then shelved, lost, forgotten, rediscovered and finally released 34 years later," says The New York Times. The reference is to Andrew Hill's mysterious Blue Note release Passing Ships, an album quickly hailed by jazz critics as a masterpiece. Now in 2006, the music from Andrew Hill's early octet comes alive on the stage of Merkin Concert Hall. Hill opens the concert with his trio. Hosted by Michael Cuscuna.

I can't believe nobody's commented about this!!!

I really want to go, but I'll be sending out my job packets out around the same time. Hopefully I will find some free time...

Guy

• 3 months later...

I want to remind those in the NY area that this show is coming up February 19, 2007. I am hoping to make it. Does anyone plan on going to see this show that night? From what I've read Freddie really needs the money.

Holy Cow...I'd love to see Papa Lou playing this music. Somehow I don't see that as happening....please let me know if it does!

I want to remind those in the NY area that this show is coming up February 19, 2007. I am hoping to make it. Does anyone plan on going to see this show that night? From what I've read Freddie really needs the money.

I haven't seen Freddie around much the last 2-3 months here in L.A. I used to run into him over at Atomic Records in Burbank quite often--the guys there say his hands have been giving him fits lately and that he can't play for more than a few minutes without it becoming really painful.

Freddie did a flurry of gigs--most of them trio, but one with Phil Ranelin and Herman Riley, about a year ago here in L.A. and he sounded great. He told me that he was on some kind of medication that really helped with his "carpal tunnel" alllwing him to play full gigs for the first time in 2-3 years. I don't know if he can't afford the meds, but I do know that he really DOES need the money--he's barely scraping by . . .

Sad to hear this news about Freddie Redd. Historically, the L.A. jazz community has been very generous in offering to have benefits for those musicians in need. I've attended several benefits over the years at the Musician's Union building - I think in Hollywood? Hope something like that can be organized for Freddie. He is certainly one of "the ones" in the jazz world and deserving of a benefit to help him out.

Of course, there is always the Jazz Foundation of American in NYC...

Marla

• 3 weeks later...

Stevebop posted this to the Jazz Programmers' List:

I feel very privileged to have been asked to host this historic event taking place next Monday, February 19th at 8pm at Merkin Concert Hall at The Kaufman Center in New York City:

"Reconnected: Freddie Redd Quartet with Donald Harrison Performs Music from 'The Connection' with Special Guest Lou Donaldson ."

The evening will begin with Freddie in trio, Mickey Bass, bass and Louis Hayes, drums. Alto saxophonist Lou Donaldson will come out and play a few tunes with the trio.

During intermission I will conduct an on-stage conversation with Freddie and screen a few scenes from the motion picture, "The Connection" and talk to him about his roll as actor and musician in that film as well as in the off-Broadway production.

Donald Harrison will then join the trio to recreate the music that Redd composed for the play and the film. Jackie McLean was the original saxophonist in both as well as on the classic Blue Note recording.

If you're in or around New York City, fall by. This will truly be an historic and memorable evening.

More info can be found here.

Steve

Hello. This is my first ever post to this board, although I am an avid reader. Let me just begin by saying how much I've learned from you all -- and how terrific Organissimo is for hosting this forum!! (Wish you'd come to NYC guys!) In any case, I attended the Freddie Redd concert last night, and while I wouldn't have missed it for the world, the music itself was a bit of a disappointment. You would think that with musicians the caliber of Freddie, Louis Hayes, Mickey Bass, Lou Donaldson and Donald Harrision, that the show would have been top drawer. However, the band was rather ragged. During the last part of the show, which featured the music from the Connection (and Harrison in place of Donaldson), it became obvious that the guys had barely thought about the music beforehand. All of them (except for Louis Hayes, who is a true pro!!), were really struggling with the music, and Freddie himself was having a difficult time with the changes. (I suspect that time is catching up with him.) At one point, Mickey Bass was having trouble with his fingers cramping up. He eventually had to leave the stage in the middle of a song (I sincerely hope he is ok!!), and Dwayne Burno, who just happened to be in the audience (along with half of the jazz musicians in New York City), jumped up and did his best to get through it. What a trooper he was!! The first part of the show featurned Lou with the trio in what was supposed to be a something like a demonstration of the music that influenced the creation of "the Connection." This section was really a feature for Lou, who led the band through some of his usual repetoire. In view of this being Freddie's first East Coast concert in many years (and as this was supposed to be Freddie's evening), I thought this section should have featurned Freddie, as well. In any case, the concert was enjoyable, but could have been much better! (Hope I didn't offend you, Steve!) Incidentally, Steve did an excellent interview with Freddie between sets that was terrific. Freddie discussed some of the history of the Connection and his own career and approach to the music. Among other things, he said that he had not played any of the pieces from the Connection in many years, as he is always looking to challenge himself with new things.

Freddie has been having a lot of problems with carpal tunnel over the last 7-8 years and he has been unable to perform for several months at a time a FEW times in this period. About a year-year and a half ago he did a flurry of gigs here in L.A., one of which was a performance of SOME of the music from The Connection with Herman Riley on tenor--this was in August 2005 at Barnsdall Art Park. Phile Ranelin and Sal Marquez were also on hand for some hot, loose bebop blowing. This was a really nice evening and Freddie and Herman were both in great form. Freddie followed this gig with several trio performances around town--I caught 2 or 3 of them and he played well. But we havent seen him around here in MONTHS, so I'm assuming he has been having trouble. I know the owner of Metropol here in L.A. told Freddie he could have one or two Saturdays a month if he wanted the gig.

My memories of Freddie stem from the late 80's when he played 3 nights a week at the Studio Grill here in Hollywood about 1/2 mile from my office. I must have heard him in this setting at least 30 times. He recorded a FANTASTIC trio album on Triloka in this restaurant/club with AL McKibbon and Billy Higgins--if you can find it, BUY IT!

I love Freddie Redd and I'm happy the gig was well attended.

Edited by Allan Songer

Thanks Ghost! I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed (and learned from) you and your colleagues -- Brownie, Late, Durium, John Tapscott, Jazzbo, Holystitt, Mikewiel, Garthsj, The Magnificent Goldberg, Paul Secor, LAL, Red, JSngry, Clifford Thornton, ep21strophy, GA Russell, Chuck Nessa, Chewy (my personal favorite), et al. Has there ever been a more concentrated collection of jazz brains in one place in the history of mankind? I don't think so. If only this vast knowledge and jazz brainpower could be harnessed for good rather than evil! :P

Hi Allan. I am so sorry to hear about Freddie's problems with carpal tunnel. I suspect that he may have been having problems with this the other night in NYC. However, you should know that he was VERY warmly received. He got a real heroes welcome from the crowd, which he so richly deserved. One thing I forgot to mention was that at one point during the show, Freddie said that he might not have enough money to get home and may need to take up a collection for the airfare! How sad is that! Such a brilliant musician in such hard financial straits. He was absolutely inundated after the show by well-wishers -- I sincerely hope he was able to find a way home. (Perhaps he was just hyperbolizing - I dont' know.) In any case, Freddie received much love the other night! (Incidentally, I too love the Studio Grill recording!)

Blind Blake, welcome to this board!

Your report on that Freddie Redd appearance was a very interesting read. And pretty disturbing too.

Was aware of his financial difficulties but did not know it extended that far!

Coincidentaly, one of his albums sold for a pretty high figure on eBay yesterday:

Get Happy with Freddie Redd

This was not even the original release (the session was recorded for the Swedish label Metronome).