Female Vocalist W/Trio

Son-of-a-Weizen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Stella Levitt Quartet - she's the wife of drummer Al Levitt...a very sensitive singer...Jacques Pelzer on tenor on a couple of tunes...Just ordered her 2nd cd...

- Jane Fielding - Jazz Trio for Voice, Bass and Piano...she's really good and was a stunning beauty as well...

-Millie Vernon - anything she recorded is great...Her last album recorded in 2004 was a duet album with Gary Dial (Jap issue only)

-Jackie Paris - The Sound...with Barry Galbriaith on guitar, mostly trio backings...

I can't say I've ever heard of any of those singers except Jackie Paris, who despite his rather high voice wouldn't qualify as a female vocalist. Shucks, even Jimmy Scott doesn't qualify.

I've never been a big Jackie Paris fan, though the film about him was interesting. I saw him a couple of times, and I have a vague memory of him sitting in with Mingus at the Village Gate in 1974 or '75 and singing Duke Ellington's Sound of Love.

sorry - must have missed the "female" part in the subject's title :)

Well - every vocal session on the Bethlehem lable is worthwhile to get...Terry Morel (who introduced Bob Dorough to Miles Davis, which led to their recording together), Paula Castle, Marilyn Moore (mother of guitarist Joe Cohn, wife of Al Cohn, who named 'Ah-Moore' aka 'The Underdog' after her), the aformentioned Chris Connor sides, The Pat Moran Quartet albums (although they include two male singers, but have some nice features for singer Bev Kelly), less easier to get is Azie Mortimer, but that wouldn't be of much interest because it's more of a big band date (although with some stellar musicians, and arrangements by Jimmy Jones)

There's a Dinah Washington influenced singer - Donna Drake - who recorded a tribute record to Dinah with the Wynton Kelly Trio.

Ada Moore recorded an intruiging set on Debut in the mid 50s with Charlie Mingus, John LaPorta, Tal Farlow etc...

Alice Darr recorded a beautiful album with Mundell Lowe and George Duvivier in the early 60s. All of the tunes are new "jazz" songs...not issued on cd though...

Bev Kelly's bootleg album 'You Go To My Head' with Bob Graf is highly recommended...not issued on cd...

One of my favorite recordings is 'I'll Take Romance' by Donna Brooks with the Alex Smith Trio (her hisband btw)

Every recording done by Vivian Lord is good! And she only recorded in trio settings as she is a pianist herself...best is her 1986 cd 'Route 66' (if you can find it), her album with Dardanelle is also very good...so is 'Two For The Road', which can be found on cd as a twofer with Anne Marie Moss' album (that's Mrs Jackie Paris btw)

The recordings by Carol Sloane - most of them are trio/small group outings...And she recorded a very cool duo album with Joe Puma!

more later =)

Wow, lots of new names to me. At least the inclusion of Carol Sloane convinces me I haven't entered a parallel universe. I'll have to see if any of those singers can be found on Spotify.

Is Ada Moore on the Mingus Debut Rarities series? I have those from emusic.

Edited by Pete C

Highly recommended Jeri Brown is her 'A Timeless Place', which is actually a Jimmy Rowles songbook, with the maestro himself at the piano...The title track is of course the renamed 'The Peacocks', with words by that other mighty great singer Norma Winstone (who recorded the definite version of this - and other tunes with Rowles' trio...)

j.

Also interesting is to compare Ada Moore's Debut session with her later recording 'Cat Meets Chick', where she alternates vocals with Jimmy Rushing (Buck Clayton plays behind them)...Curious that she went from semi avantgarde/3rd stream stuff to classic blues shouting!

Issued on cd!

j.

"new name" to me is Nikki Price...Have known that name for years, but at last her only album (on Epic, recorded in 1962) is on it's way to my home =)

This album is of significance because it was the recording debut of Dave Frishberg (as pianist) and has the first recorded version of 'Peel Me A Grape' on it!!!

So excited!

j.

Highly recommended Jeri Brown is her 'A Timeless Place', which is actually a Jimmy Rowles songbook, with the maestro himself at the piano...The title track is of course the renamed 'The Peacocks', with words by that other mighty great singer Norma Winstone (who recorded the definite version of this - and other tunes with Rowles' trio...)

A GREAT session!!

JUST070.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...