NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 35 years old and a head case, in a wide receiver market that hasn't been very strong (see Houshmanzadeh {sp?}, L. Coles). Inclined to agree that nothing'll happen until training camp.

Do the Pats need a WR? They already have Welker and Moss, no? Maybe the Jints will bite if Burress gets sent to the big house, but I have trouble imagining TO playing for Coughlin and that organization. Colts just let Harrison go...

Edited by T.D.

Talk of 1 year, $6.5 MM. Don't know about incentives.

Could get interesting. Bills already have the ultra-talented (IMO) Lee Evans, but their QBs haven't been able to consistently get the ball to him the past few seasons. Might T.O. end up unhappy? :rofl:

It'll be interesting to see where Owens lands. I wonder if the Pats would be interested? They don't seem to shy away from players with troublesome reputations. And they wouldn't hesitate to cut him if he didn't fall into line. ... And they do have some cap room, I think, after their deft trade with KC.

Pats would not be interested at all. First of all, how many balls would T.O. get with Moss and Welker on the team? Welker gets about 100 receptions each season. Secondly, the Pats won't have much cap room left once they extend either Mankins or Wilfork. Third, T.O. is a noted team buster. I doubt BB would allow that cancer into the lockerroom.

I see that the Bills signed him. Actually, it is not surprising given the difficulty the Bills have in signing free agents. Nobody likes playing in small market Buffalo. The Bills seem to lose out on many free agents who visited them, but also visited other teams.

Wow. That was fast. Surprisingly so.

I feel sorry for the Bills, they've got enough problems as it is.

Last-place team in a small market, not exactly a glamor location, young quarterback, freezing cold from November on. ... What could go wrong?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Man, I'm stunned, STUNNED that they paid him $6.5M. And it's all guaranteed. WTF?????

Edited by J.H. Deeley

T.O.'s agent is saying the Cowboys are going to regret cutting Owens now. LOL.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys have been picking up some non-splashy players during the off-season so far:

ILB Keith Brooking

DE Igor Olshansky

QB Jon Kitna

SS Gerald Sensabaugh

I'd like to see them pick up another WR, as I'm not convinced Roy Williams plus whoever is currently pegged as the other starting WR (Crayton? Miles Austin?) is enough.

I've seen Torry Holt's name floated, and Marvin Harrison's. Both could be good complementary players, though neither are young anymore.

T.O.'s agent is saying the Cowboys are going to regret cutting Owens now. LOL.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys have been picking up some non-splashy players during the off-season so far:

ILB Keith Brooking

DE Igor Olshansky

QB Jon Kitna

SS Gerald Sensabaugh

I'd like to see them pick up another WR, as I'm not convinced Roy Williams plus whoever is currently pegged as the other starting WR (Crayton? Miles Austin?) is enough.

I've seen Torry Holt's name floated, and Marvin Harrison's. Both could be good complementary players, though neither are young anymore.

Holt or Harrison could be good pickups for a year or so if they still have anything left- they'll probably come cheap, too.

OK, it's only in the "strong rumours" stage, but NFL sources say that the Patriots are about to acquire Julius Peppers in exchange for the second round pick they received from KC for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel. I would personally prefer that they go after Jason Taylor instead, who would be a cheaper option, and who they are very familiar with, and who is a good friend of Tom Brady's but...Peppers is a monster! They would then convert him to OLB in the Patriot's 3-4 scheme.

Pats have already experienced a very successful offseason with the signings of TE Chris Baker, CBs Leigh Bodden and Shawn Springs, RB Fred Taylor and WR Joey Galloway. In addition, they are sitting on four draft picks in the first two rounds along with two 3rd rounders (one likely compensatory pick for the loss of Asante Samuel.)

What's most amusing, however, is the response from the Jet's fan forum. Here's one, for example, discussing the thought that Peppers would be joining the Patriots. Speaking of the current Jet's quarterbacks:

Originally Posted by Misc Jets Fan

Who had the faster 40, Clemens, Ainge, or Ratliff, make him the starter for the Pat games, since he'll be running all game.

:lol:

Here's another:

Yeah but we have Verny Gholston so don't worry about it.

and another:

how is it that the pats always get franchise level talent for a sack of potatoes? If a first round pick isn't involved, somebody should investigate these deals for collusion and conspiracy...

(I can answer that one: when you have the most successful football franchise of the decade, it's easy to attract players.)

Here's a good one:

Don't worry Jets fans. The Patriots may about to be getting a top 10 pass rusher still in the prime of his career but we added Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard...

wait a minute, we're f*cked.

Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo

Can we counter this by trading for Cutler?

How is Cutlers 40 time?

Another poster writes: "here's the new gap:"

grand%20canyon-jj-001.jpg

Here's a knowledgeable poster:

Then theres Adalius Thomas, Mayo, and probably one of Cushing, Sintim, or Rey Rey to block.

This is all if you can get past Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren.

Lol @ people who don't think Belichick won't leave this game as a god...

Similar:

Peppers, Mayo, Maualuga, Thomas - - Seymour, Wilfork, Warren

Friggin nasty! Best front 7 in the NFL, nobody even on the same page.

No one knows your team better than a bitter division rival.

Yikes. Just saw this.

Looks like the Pats are about to get their Randy Moss on Defense now. Not bad for 2nd round picks.

Let's see, #34 overall for Julius Peppers, #6 for Vernon Gholston. Arrrgghhh!

Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

John Fox should get his @$$ kicked if he makes this trade

Word is that BB has videotape on EVERY NFL head coach....and I'm not talking about the stuff taken from the opposing sideline...

Anyway, the deal hasn't been completed, and I would still prefer the manageable cost of a Jason Taylor, who would still make the Patriot's defense a sick one.

Anyone else see the hilarious irony in the fact that the Cowboys and the Raiders--the two teams with extremely similar owners (and teams)--will play on Turkey Day this year? If that weren't enough, this will be the first Turkey Day game in the new Jerry Jones Death Star/Arlington Funeral Home/Dallas (not Arlington) Cowboys Stadium.

I guess this is Jerry's way of saying to the Master, "Show me your ways, O Wise One."

Al, as much as I dislike JJ (and have never liked the Cowboys in any case), he has a long way to go to match the unspeakable Davis's achievements in running a once-proud franchise into the ground. I'd love to see him do it, though. Talk about Schadenfreude...

Thanks for alerting me to the ironic Turkey Day matchup. I'll make a point not to watch. TV images of Davis and Jones tend to nauseate me, and the effects (imagine a split-screen shot) would surely be worse on a Thanksgiving full stomach.

Edited by T.D.

Al, as much as I dislike JJ (and have never liked the Cowboys in any case), he has a long way to go to match the unspeakable Davis's achievements in running a once-proud franchise into the ground.

Oh, I know; but I can't help but think of this as Jones' way of inviting the Master into his shiny brand new domain and worshipping at his feet. It would be sorta like Brian Wilson inviting Phil Spector to the studio.

• 3 weeks later...

Madden and Sumerall were great together, but the past few years, Madden's shtick became a little too familiar and predictable. But definitely a broadcast legend and deservedly so.

I agree with all of your points.

I wonder if Aikman will replace him - or if Fox would let him go in the first place.

Madden and Sumerall were great together, but the past few years, Madden's shtick became a little too familiar and predictable. But definitely a broadcast legend and deservedly so.

I agree with all of your points.

I wonder if Aikman will replace him - or if Fox would let him go in the first place.

So much for that - looks like it's Chris Collinsworth.