NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like it's official that Favre is retiring this time.

That makes me sad, a player that I will TRULY miss being able to watch play the game.

He finished with a nice season, unlike Marino, Kelly, Montana and others.

Absolutely.

I heard that he might / would have stayed if Green Bay had signed Moss.

That makes me sad, a player that I will TRULY miss being able to watch play the game.

He finished with a nice season, unlike Marino, Kelly, Montana and others.

Absolutely.

I heard that he might / would have stayed if Green Bay had signed Moss.

I wouldn't believe a word of what the media spews. Sportswriters write such garbage, it is incredible.

Even though single handily he cost the 49ers two more Super Bowl victories in the 90's I will miss him too.

Happy for Aaron Rogers. Lets see what he has.

I watched Favre's press conference today and I almost teared up! Favre is as REAL as they come, just a great person as well as a hall of fame player. It's one of those "Good Ole Boy Makes Good" stories that would make a great movie script but pales in comparison to what it was like to actually watch this guy for the past 16 years. One of the true greats.

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda quiet in the NFL right now. But there are just 24 days until the Draft! :P

Dallas has 2 first round picks this year (#22 & 28), thanks to the trade with Cleveland last year that landed them Brady Quinn. Team needs include WR, RB, and CB/safety (again).

Rumors are going around that Dallas will end up trading a low pick(or picks) for Pacman Jones shortly, helping with the secondary. And then trading the #28 for Detroit's Roy Williams, to pair him up with Terrell Owens. This sounds like it means Terry Glenn is basically done.

The #22 pick would go to a RB such as Arkansas' Felix Jones or Oregon's Jonathan Stewart.

If that all played out that way, I think it would be a solid off-season for the Cowboys - if (and it's a HUGE IF) Pacman Jones can stay clean off the field. But they seem to have done OK with TO, and Tank Johnson last year, so who knows.

Would be strange to have two Roy Williamses on the team though! What would the names on the jerseys read??

Jerry Jones collecting all the flotsam around the league? I wouldn't pay a penny for Pacman. Is Detroit really willing to part with Roy Jones for #28? Hmmm. Tell Jerry to offer his two first rounders for the Pats #7 pick in the draft. McFadden might still be around.

Yeah, it's the "wildcatter oil man" in Jones. Trying to strike it rich on the cheap. He's willing to gamble on and even tolerate players like Pacman, Tank, Demetrius Underwood, etc., if he thinks they can help on the field. I wouldn't pick up the Pacmans of the NFL either, if I were running things . Or T.O., despite his relative good behavior since he's been in Dallas.

Jones is supposedly lusting after McFadden, so I wouldn't put that kind of trade past him, either. But if he wants someone to platoon with Marion Barber, he doesn't need a McFadden. Felix Jones or Stewart or somebody like that would be better suited as a complementary player.

• 3 weeks later...

Draft starts on Saturday at 3 pm EST. There will be 10 minutes between picks in the first round, and I believe 5 minutes for the second round. Third round coverage begins on Sunday. Should be a more speedy and interesting draft this year.

10 minutes for 1st round, 7 minutes for second, 5 for third. The draft has really become something different over the past few seasons, it used to come and go without much notice but now it's a full blown media event...NFL Network has been blathering on about it nonstop since the Superbowl.

Vikings gave up a ton for Jarred Allen. This from PFT:

VIKES GIVE UP THREE 2008 PICKS FOR ALLEN

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 11:17 p.m.

Holy crap.

The Vikings, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, surrendered their first-round pick in the 2008 draft and both third-round selections for Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen.

The Chiefs will now add the No. 17, No. 73, and No. 82 overall selections to the No. 5, No. 35, and No. 66 picks, giving them six selections among the first 100 picks.

Cowboys finally got Pacman Jones from the Titans, for a 4th rounder this year and a conditional 4th next year (if Jones is reinstated this year, I think).

Jeez. I hope the triumvirate of Pacman, Tank Johnson, and Terrell Owens don't explode - guns, strippers, and ego, yikes!

On the field he's going to be a great pickup in the secondary I think - Jones and Terence Newman will be formidable corners, and I suspect they'll either make Anthony Henry their nickel corner, or move him over to safety (to help Ken Hamlin and liability Roy Williams).

What it does for the Cowboys on Saturday is to allow them to (hopefully) use their two first round picks for a WR and a RB, both positions of need.

Edited by Aggie87

What it does for the Cowboys on Saturday is to allow them to (hopefully) use their two first round picks for a WR and a RB, both positions of need.

Well I got that half-right. I guess they're not completely convinced Pacman will be reinstated, or even if he is, they want more depth at CB. Cowboys nabbed Arkansas RB Felix Jones with pick #22, then moved up from 28 to 22, and picked CB Mike Jenkins from S Florida.

Looks like a ton of decent WRs left (not a single one has been drafted yet, through 27 picks.

Edited by Aggie87

Well I got that half-right. I guess they're not completely convinced Pacman will be reinstated, or even if he is, they want more depth at CB. Cowboys nabbed Arkansas RB Felix Jones with pick #22, then moved up from 28 to 22, and picked CB Mike Jenkins from S Florida.

Looks like a ton of decent WRs left (not a single one has been drafted yet, through 27 picks.

Not a bad draft so far for Dallas, but KC is cleaning up with all their draft picks.

Not sure what to think about Felix Jones. Some project him as a third down speedster, but these guys can be valuable. Kevin Faulk is important to the Pats in that role (though he is not particularly fast.)

Parcells is drafting good players and avoiding the flashy stuff which got the Dolphins in trouble in the past.

Why do I get the feeling that the Phins might get either New England's 2nd round or one of their 3rd rounders for Jason Taylor?

Pats have three 3rd round picks with two of them near the top of the round.