NFL chat thread

Watch out, ya'll!

From ESPN:

Hester, Bears' offense stepping to the fore

By John Clayton

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- As I walked out of the buzzing, over-crowded football stadium at Olivet Nazarene University on Saturday night, I looked to the clear, star-lit skies and said to "Papa Bear" George Halas, "Forgive me for what I am about to do."

I came to the Bears training camp and I'm writing offense. That's right, offense. Bears football is usually all about defense. It's the franchise of Dick Butkus, Buddy Ryan and Brian Urlacher. In terms of Bears history, the offense is usually designed to stay on the field long enough to give defenders enough of a breather to make the next big play.

This summer, however, the Monsters of the Midway have electrified fans with their offense. And it's more than just a revitalized Cedric Benson splitting the middle of the Bears' defense with a fast run up the gut. Devin Hester, the pinball whiz on returns and converted defensive back, is wowing Bears fans and burning defenders with his pass-catching skills at wideout. Rookie tight end Greg Olsen is stretching the field and catching everything within grasp. Tiny halfback Garrett Wolfe (5-foot-7, 177 pounds) looks like he's on fast-forward on sweeps and short passes in the flat.

So far, Chicago's offense has been the best thrill ride in the summer tour of training camps.

"We're hoping to get some playmakers out there," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. "We've got some guys who are willing to make some plays."

The story of camp is Hester. Bears beat writer John Mullin officially named the 2007 camp, "The Devin Hester Experience." Watching him run routes is like listening to old Jimi Hendrix records -- explosive, exciting and unpredictable. Any fan would love to hang from the "Watchtower" to see the show.

In 2006, Hester was the underground candidate for offensive rookie of the year by returning six kicks for touchdowns, including a kickoff for a score on the opening play of the Super Bowl. Turner and the team's other offensive coaches had been plotting to bring Hester's play-making skills to the offense. Their thought was Hester would be a natural for catching balls out of the backfield or as a receiver. In the spring, Hester caught just about every pass thrown his way.

"I started playing football when I was 4 years old, and I played wide receiver, quarterback and defensive back," Hester said. "God blessed me with the talent to catch the ball. When I had pickup games I would play quarterback and wide receiver. I'd do a quarterback sneak and just run the ball."

Now, the experiment is over. Hester is a receiver. Turner says that Hester will be on the field on offense more than the five or six plays a game he logged last season. Hester predicts about 30 plays; however, there is one problem. He is so valuable as a returner that the team can't afford to see Hester get hurt on offense. Coaches will have to find the right balance in order to keep him fresh and healthy for the entire season.

Hester is just an incredible athlete. For his size and position, Olsen isn't too shabby either. The rookie tight end had the crowd going crazy when he angled his body to the ground and made a remarkable catch before it hit the grass. As Olsen came back toward the huddle, Hester, who is 5-foot-11, soared into the night sky to do the highest of high fives with the 6-foot-5 Olsen.

Things, however, got a little carried away Sunday. Hester jacked up the crowd and played more inspired football after each catch. Fans motivated him to do too much. Before long, Hester started to drop a few passes. Coaches, sensing something wrong, found he was a little dehydrated and gave him some extra rest.

Wolfe, meanwhile, brings a Dave Meggett-type option to the offense. He catches the ball well and is quick. Each day in practice, the Bears unveil new packages to showcase the increased speed and athleticism to their offense. Sometimes, they will go with two tight ends Desmond Clark and Olsen, who is second only to Vernon Davis as the league's fastest tight end. And while all this is going on, Bernard Berrian -- developing as the team's No. 1 wide receiver option -- is burning cornerbacks with his speed on crossing routes and long passes.

All of the sudden, the Bears, who usually look as slow and methodical as a Big Ten offense, have speed and lighting-like scoring ability.

"We've just added another dimension to an offense that already knows the system so well and advanced it a little bit," quarterback Rex Grossman said. "Bernard Berrian is going to take another jump this year, and he's a mismatch for a lot of corners in this league. He's a relatively and unknown guy. ... He won't be after this year."

Things have been so electrifying that some of the fan gloom about Grossman as the team's starting quarterback is brightening up. Grossman looks much improved from last season. With more weapons to work with, the goal is to get Grossman's completion rate to 60 percent.

It is clear in camp that Grossman -- a 54 percent career passer -- has devoted a lot of time to improving his game, so that 60 percent completion rate should be attainable.

First, Grossman has more weapons to use. Berrian has 70-catch, 1,000-yard potential. Clark is a 45-to-50-catch tight end.

Second, from his study of game film, Grossman found ways to be more defined with his throwing fundamentals when his first two receiving options are covered. One of Grossman's strengths last season was being defined in his throwing motion and setup on his first two reads. But if they were covered, Grossman looked lost and his feet were everywhere.

Bears coaches do a great job fixing fundamental problems. Lovie Smith hired Pep Hamilton from the Jets as quarterbacks coach. If there is any idle time at practice, he'll take quarterbacks to a field and work with fundamentals. Hamilton studies every Grossman throw and offers immediate suggestions to repair small technical flaws.

Those suggestions have helped with Grossman's accuracy.

Despite going to the Super Bowl, Grossman had a tough time last year. Fans wanted him benched. Critics around the country called for Brian Griese to replace him. At press conferences, Grossman seemed increasingly uncomfortable and defensive. Folks were out to get him.

Teammates and coaches totally supported Grossman. Smith never gave much thought to benching him. Turner worked hard to keep Grossman's head in the game.

"We are [a] fully loaded offensive team," Grossman said. "It's a veteran offensive line and a good running back. Last year, we went from 29th in the league to 15th. Hopefully, we crack the top five or top eight."

Turner, meanwhile, is opening up the playbook. He's considering incorporating some shotgun formations and running no-huddle series. He's even asking Grossman to run a little more. Last year, Grossman ran only 24 times. He gained 2 yards.

Now, the coaches want Grossman to run a little bit -- even if it's only three or four yards. Grossman can now look around and get the ball to speedier players.

There's something different about these Bears.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really good news for da Bearz! Grossman is in the final contract year so he'll be pushing hard this season. Defence will be as good as ever. New Orleans looked awful in last night's preseason game, which doesn't mean anything (I guess.) Chicago will be one of the favorites to meet the Pats in the Super Bowl. :P

Really good news for da Bearz! Grossman is in the final contract year so he'll be pushing hard this season. Defence will be as good as ever. New Orleans looked awful in last night's preseason game, which doesn't mean anything (I guess.) Chicago will be one of the favorites to meet the Pats in the Super Bowl. :P

I'm predicting a Bears/Pats Super Bowl if everyone on the Bears org stays healthy. Despite all the flack that Grossman's caught, last season was still technically his "rookie" year, and he looks to significantly step up his game this season. The Pats are a scary team....much scarier than the Colts were last year IMO! Will be interesting to see how this season unfolds.

I'm hoping the Seahawks manage to escape the injury bug this year and make another run...

Despite my allegiance to the Bears, I have alot of respect and fondness for this Seattle squad. If they were to get past the Bears (which won't happen :P ), I'd be rooting for them to go all the way.

I'm hoping the Seahawks manage to escape the injury bug this year and make another run...

I wonder if Holmgren is a good coach. He is a very good GM, but a coach? I can't remember specific incidents offhand, but I'm not sure he's the right man for the job right now.

Who did they lose, and who did they gain this year, Shawn? Might be interesting. (Me)ion Branch is overrated and didn't do much when he left the Pats. Jackson seems to be a letdown. Alexander is a good rb, of course, and Hasselbeck is a good qb. They lost Hutchison and it may have hurt their running game last year.

Anyway, what are the changes in personnel this year? NFC seems very competitive.

Most of the additions have been on defense this year (primarily the secondary). They added safeties Deon Grant (Jaguars) & Brian Russell (Browns). They also nabbed Patrick Kerney from the Falcons.

They also added TE Marcus Pollard to replace the ever-disappointing Jeremy Stevens.

Darrell Jackson is gone, traded to the 49ers (Holmgren hated that the front office traded him to a division rival).

Anyway, what are the changes in personnel this year? NFC seems very competitive.

Seahawks also let S Ken Hamlin walk, who was picked up by the Cowboys. I don't know if that's good or not for the Seahawks - they have had some public words (see here) about him, to the effect that Trufant wasn't as effective because he was also having to do Hamlin's job.

I think it's good for the Cowboys though, because he's an upgrade at the position from the platoon of Keith Davis and Pat Watkins. Watkins may still be the Boys' future safety, but needs more time to develop.

Brady Quinn finally signed with the Browns today. I don't know if he'll have enough camp time to become the starter by Game 1, I kind of doubt it. Plus I think he's a little high on himself still - let him get a few hits from some linebackers, and he'll settle down quick.

Personally I'm hoping the Browns have a bad season, so the 1st rounder they gave the Cowboys for next year ends up being a top 2-3 pick :P No offense, SS!

edit - i guess he technically hasn't signed, but has agreed to terms.

Edited by Aggie87

Gregg Easterbrook, aka TMQ, just wrote his first column in a while (since just after the draft?) at espn.com, so the season must be approaching ...Not one of his funnier efforts, though. [Disclaimer: I have no connection with ESPN (heaven forbid!) or Easterbrook, but simply like the column.]

Don't worry SS1, the Raiders offense will likely be miserable again. A new QB, offensive line coach, and not much more will not be enough to turn the tide for my boys. If Cleveland can score two TDs they'll likey post a W over Oakland.

You're not going to beat the Pats. Sorry.

Browns have already paid LeCharles Bentley $15 million in salary and signing bonuses. The man also hasn't played a down for them. He might never.

That's why you don't throw around big money in free agency.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindeale....xml&coll=2

Edited by connoisseur series500