NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh: Cowboys have hired Jason Garrett in some capacity, either Offensive Coordinator, or possibly head coach. Talk about one extreme to the other, if he's HC - going from Parcells to someone who's never even been an OC or DC. He was Dallas' backup QB years ago, and apparently is held in high regard by Jerry Jones, among others. He was Miami's QB coach last year.

Sources: Cowboys pick Garrett, but role is undecided

According to knowledgeable sources, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has decided to hire Jason Garrett at least to be Dallas' offensive coordinator -- and possibly to be the successor to retired head coach Bill Parcells.

A source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Wednesday night that Jones considers Garrett -- a former backup to quarterback Troy Aikman -- to be one of the most promising offensive coaches in the league and was so determined to bring him back to the Cowboys organization that he would have been added to Parcells' staff had Parcells decided to coach the final year of his contract.

Instead, Parcells stepped down Monday after four seasons with the Cowboys, ending a 19-year coaching tenure that included two Super Bowl champoinships with the New York Giants.

Jones must decide by Thursday whether to hire Garrett as offensive coordinator because the Miami Dolphins set a deadline for the Cowboys to hire their quarterbacks coach when granting the Cowboys permission to interview Garrett.

The Cowboys could appoint Garrett offensive coordinator to secure his services while eliminating the Dolphins from the equation. Then Jones could deliberate whether to appoint him as the head coach later after interviews with other head-coaching candidates, primarily San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

Ultimately, Jones must decide whether he's willing to sign a veteran coach to a three- or four-year contract to allow Garrett to gain experience as a play-caller before eventually promoting him to the top job. Or, Jones may decide he's willing to endure the risk of immediately putting a talented Cowboys team in Garrett's hands now.

Garrett spent the last two seasons coaching Miami's quarterbacks. He played for the Cowboys from 1993-99, appearing in 23 games (nine starts). He also played for the Giants, Tampa Bay and Miami. Garrett retired in 2004.

Garrett's father, Jim, was a longtime scout for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys haven't had an offensive coordinator since Maruice Carthon served in that role under Parcells in 2004. This season, assistant head coach Tony Sparano coached running backs and the offensive line and receivers coach Todd Haley was the passing game coordinator.

Jones earlier this week spoke to Sparano, Haley and secondary coach Todd Bowles, a candidate to replace Mike Zimmer as defensive coordinator, about the head coaching job.

Phillips, who was in Mobile scouting Senior Bowl practices, said he hadn't heard from anybody yet, including the Cowboys.

"If it's true, we'll just go on with the process and see what happens," Phillips told The Associated Press by telephone. "I've got a great job where I am and a great football team. I wasn't looking for anything, but I've always wanted to do what I can do as a head coach, and Dallas is certainly a premier job."

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo is a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

I'm still blue over the Pats' loss.

BB did not behave very well afterwards. I am in agreement after reading about it.

I think he knew that he had blown the game. That sucka was won! And the matchup with the Bears seemed a relatively easy thing after the Colts. It's so hard to make it to the Super Bowl, and they had a really good chance. Another ring would have cemented his legacy. So close, yet so far.

I don't see how the Bears stand much of a chance in the Super Bowl, but you never know!

I don't see how the Bears stand much of a chance in the Super Bowl, but you never know!

Not saying that they will win by any means, but if the defense returns to early season form and forces a few turnovers and the offence mostly runs the ball -- it's definitely possible.

BB did not behave very well afterwards. I am in agreement after reading about it.

What did you read? I just noticed it at the time and then let it go. Didn't realize that it had become an "issue" or anything. Did he really go off on some people or what?

Hey, I feel his pain, really I do. But shit happens to the best of us, ya' know? And it's not like the Colts were going to choke forever (a team like the Bills only comes along once in a generation). I just thought he could've handled the whole thing with a little more aplomb, even if it meant faking it, which it undoubtedly would have. But the guy's one helluva coach, no denying that.

All this stuff about how much higher Manning's QB rating is than Grossman's -- neither man is playing against the other; Manning is facing the Bear's defense, Grossman the Colts' defense. I'm not saying that Rex and friends will prevail against the latter more often than Peyton and pals will against the former, but it's far from impossible. In the same vein, and perhaps at least as important -- these teams haven't faced each other but once in recent years, and that was when Urlacher was injured and the makeup of the Bears' line on both sides of the ball was rather different. What happens when those those offensive and defensive lines butt heads is something you can't know beforehand, especially when there's so little track record. And the outcome of those contests will likely determine who wins.

Immediately after the game, he rejected Peyton Manning's handshake.

He also behaved badly when he shoved a photographer aside after the Jets game when he went to hug Mangini. He apologized to the cameraman afterwards.

I think that BB gets unduly annoyed by the media, and perhaps felt anger that he was in a sense forced to hug Magini after the Press spoke about their frosty handshake after a season game.

As someone who reads BB's press conferences during the season, I can tell you that he is always discreet and praises the opposing team and coaching staff. After losses, he is quick to point out that the coaching staff (such as himself) didn't coach a good game, etc. I'm not sure these are his true feelings, but years in the league have taught him to put on a gracious front at press conferences. I'm sure his real feelings are more likely expressed by more boorish behavior at the end of games.

What did you read? I just noticed it at the time and then let it go. Didn't realize that it had become an "issue" or anything. Did he really go off on some people or what?

Hey, I feel his pain, really I do. But shit happens to the best of us, ya' know? And it's not like the Colts were going to choke forever (a team like the Bills only comes along once in a generation). I just thought he could've handled the whole thing with a little more aplomb, even if it meant faking it, which it undoubtedly would have. But the guy's one helluva coach, no denying that.

Interesting. The only thing I noticed, immediately post-game, was BB's encounter with Dungy on the field, which appeared gracious and cordial. The press conference footage I saw later, while far from exemplary, didn't seem too far out of line (mostly following NY sports, I'm used to HCs having adversarial relationships with the media).

Didn't notice the Manning snub, which sounds bogus. I ignored the whole Mangini thing, because the NY tabloid media had inflated the affair to absurd proportions over the course of the season.

Edited by T.D.