NFL chat thread

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a day of NFL playoffs as much as yesterday. Watching the Colts go down to the Chargers was a treat (Volek!), and the Cowboys falling to the Giants was the icing on the cake (sorry Al!). I thought the officiating in the Chargers/Colts game was horrible, the hold on the interception return and a late PI call against San Diego were absolute crap.

Terrell Owens...whoa. That was a different peek into his personality. I suppose it's good that he cares so deeply for his teammate.

I wasn't surprised the Cowboys lost but I changed the channel immediately after seeing Jerry Jones sitting dumbfounded down on the field. What did I miss?? Was TO really crying?? Maybe I need to watch Sports Center this morning??

:bwallace2:

20080114_inq_bford14z-a.JPG

"This wasn't about Tony. You can talk about him, you can talk about the vacation, but it's unfair. That's my teammate. That's my quarterback."

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm officially pissed. Direct quotes from Wade hisself at today's press conference:

"The better team lost yesterday. We outplayed them yesterday." :blink:

My bullshit meter is thru the roof.

Y'know, it's getting harder and harder to cheer for the home teams when mediocrity is the accepted norm around here.

If they were the "better" team, then why didn't they win??

Why do losing teams always say that shit??

No, this kind of comment is actually extremely rare. Most NFL coaches and players take blame, with the occassional bitch about ref calls.

Yeah, it's usually the clueless fanboys who say that kinda shit. I guess that would include Wade Philips, cometothinkofit.

There are several examples of great teams going down to defeat to a lesser team in the playoffs. The '83 49ers vs the Redskins, 2001 Yankees vs the D-Backs, '72-'73 Lakers vs the Knicks....I could go on.

The better team has lost many times in pro sports. I mean, the fact a medeocre Buffalo Bills team made it to all those Super Bowls speaks volumes on that point. Their AFC runners-up would have at least made those games competitive.

Edited by GoodSpeak

There are several examples of great teams going down to defeat to a lesser team in the playoffs. The '83 49ers vs the Redskins, 2001 Yankees vs the D-Backs, '72 Lakers vs the Knicks....I could go on.

The better team has lost many times in pro sports. I mean, the fact a medeocre Buffalo Bills team made it to all those Super Bowls speaks volumes on that point. Their AFC runners-up would have at least made those games competitive.

Excuse me!

Mediocre teams do not beat the "better" teams when the chips are down; it merely exposes that the "better" team was not as good as you think. During the regular season, a mediocre team can beat anyone on any given day but not when the heavy chips are down. Either someone misjudged the "mediocre" team or the "better" team is not as good as everyone thought. :-)

There are several examples of great teams going down to defeat to a lesser team in the playoffs. The '83 49ers vs the Redskins, 2001 Yankees vs the D-Backs, '72 Lakers vs the Knicks....I could go on.

The '72 Lakers set a record for wins and beat the Knicks in the NBA finals.

20080114_inq_bford14z-a.JPG

NFL honchos and the army of sports writers/commentators will be doing worse than that if the unthinkable happens this weekend and the Packers & NE both nosedive leaving us with NY/SD. At least if the Pats lose, there's still Brett to form a triple wagon train around and they can all spend boatloads of time kicking around the 'Can the magic be kept alive for another year?!!!' :excited: question. If there's no Brady....no Favre, what on earth do they all do?? Fawn over Eli???? :blink:

I'm surprised by all the chatter coming out of San Diego, since I don't think they'll hobble into Foxborough with a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Tomlinson, Rivers, Gates, all not 100%? They're not going to pull off two miracles in a row.

Uh-huh.

And the part you are leaving out is....?

I'll wait. <_<

Edited by GoodSpeak

Excuse me!

Mediocre teams do not beat the "better" teams when the chips are down; it merely exposes that the "better" team was not as good as you think. During the regular season, a mediocre team can beat anyone on any given day but not when the heavy chips are down. Either someone misjudged the "mediocre" team or the "better" team is not as good as everyone thought. :-)

O-4 in Super Bowls sez I'm right.

Besides, "as good as" is a relative term. It does not equate to not being the better team, my friend.

One game does not mean the better team won.

NFL honchos and the army of sports writers/commentators will be doing worse than that if the unthinkable happens this weekend and the Packers & NE both nosedive leaving us with NY/SD. At least if the Pats lose, there's still Brett to form a triple wagon train around and they can all spend boatloads of time kicking around the 'Can the magic be kept alive for another year?!!!' :excited: question. If there's no Brady....no Favre, what on earth do they all do?? Fawn over Eli???? :blink:

Oh, they'll puff it all up somehow anyway, you know that.

The sporting media is just full of themselves come Super Bowl hype-time.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Uh-huh.

I'll wait. <_<

Perhaps I'm missing something here - sarcasm/irony? I can be oblivious to those at times.

"There are several examples of great teams going down to defeat to a lesser team in the playoffs. ... '72 Lakers vs the Knicks...."

The Lakers set a regular season record for wins and were favorites in the final. The Knicks had injuries, but the Lakers beat them 4-1. The favored team did win.

There have been many occasions when a "lesser team" or underdog has beaten a "great" or favored team. The '72 NBA finals wasn't one of those occasions.

Uh-huh.

I'll wait. <_<

Perhaps I'm missing something here - sarcasm/irony? I can be oblivious to those at times.

"There are several examples of great teams going down to defeat to a lesser team in the playoffs. ... '72 Lakers vs the Knicks...."

The Lakers set a regular season record for wins and were favorites in the final. The Knicks had injuries, but the Lakers beat them 4-1. The favored team did win.

There have been many occasions when a "lesser team" or underdog has beaten a "great" or favored team. The '72 NBA finals wasn't one of those occasions.

Yes, but you conveniently left out the fact the 72-73 Lakers lost to the same team that very next year. The Lakers were clearly the better team...in both years.

Hence my point, just the wrong ending year. No big thing, just a minor correction is all.

Um....let's talk sarcasm for a moment, shall we? Disingenuous, perhaps? <_<

Edited by GoodSpeak