Yahoo Jazz Vine questions

Matthew

I've joined the Yahoo Jazz Vine group and I haven't gotten the courage to leap in yet. Does it work like this: Get the email notification, and you respond with your Yahoo I.D. name, hopefully you get on the vine; receive the cd; download, copy cd, and then I reopen the vine and send the original cd to the next person? Anyone else on the vine -- it really as easy as it looks?

Signed: 2Chicken

I've joined the Yahoo Jazz Vine group and I haven't gotten the courage to leap in yet. Does it work like this: Get the email notification, and you respond with your Yahoo I.D. name, hopefully you get on the vine; receive the cd; download, copy cd, and then I reopen the vine and send the original cd to the next person? Anyone else on the vine -- it really as easy as it looks?

Signed: 2Chicken

I'm not sure how "download" comes in.

Get the notification

email your particulars, including snail mail address, and a promise to re-vine, to the person offering the vine

Hopefully he picks you (sometimes its first offer received, sometimes its a random selection of one from many responses)

if he picks you, look for it in the mail

when received, make a copy for yourself and send out an email to the group re-offering the vine

send the original copy to the next recipient

Patience pays off in this system! You may often wait through quite a few cycles before getting your crack at it.

Matthew, Dan described it perfectly. PM me if you have any more questions--I'm the JazzVines moderator.

Why don't you guys just start a torrent? So much easier...

JazzVines is nice for people who don't have broadband or who don't want to deal with the technological constraints. Once you've set up your bittorrent client it's a snap, but the learning curve can be a hassle for those who aren't especially experienced with that sort of thing ("Forward my ports? What's a port?").

Also, the snail-mail contact gives the experience a personal touch that's lacking in digital-only situations. It's kind of the "slow food" side of music exchange. Lots of people enjoy it--and of course, many do both JazzVines (and/or AllJazz_2) and bittorrent.

P.S. Matthew, lots of the vines are in FLAC format--you'll need a little application called FLAC Frontend that you can download free off the web to convert FLAC files to WAV, at which point you can either burn them on an audio CD or make MP3s out of them. But it's so easy anyone can do it.

Edited by Tom Storer