Sports: NBA 2006-2007

This is why I'd rather have Baron Davis. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd bet Baron doesn't take as many shots as AI. A Warriors fan on another board was just praising Baron's passiveness on offense.

Baron takes about 8 shots a game less than AI, but I think he takes his share of ill-advised shots. He shoots way too many 3s.

Guy

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was pretty ugly. I think it might've been worse than the Pistons/Pacers brawl.

I'm sure someone is going to claim that the new rules about on court behavior and techs have something to do with it, but there's no excuse for that crap.

I'm very pleased with the outcome of this fight. The multigame suspensions will harm the Nuggets and improve the Warriors' playoff chances. :tup

Guy

Hmm... I just viewed the tape at ESPN.com. First off, I wouldn't say this was worse than the Pacers/Pistons. Not at all. There was a lot more pushing, grabbing and holding as opposed to punching in this one, and of course it didn't spread into the seats and get spectators involved (at least not to any serious degree that I was able to see).

I think the Knicks have a legit gripe in terms of Denver playing their stars while up 19 (or 20 or whatever) with only a minute left. That would piss anybody off. The Collins foul looked flagrant for sure, but if you look close he actually took the hard foul (relatively tame at that, since it didn't endanger the Nugget player) and then pulled his arms up and away. The Nuggets just totally overreacted. Flagrant fouls happen, and you have to just accept it, especially when you're showing a team up like that at their place.

Carmelo was just pathetic. After things had calmed down somewhat, he throws the sucker punch at Collins, and then he runs away (???).

At any rate, I hope the league responds quickly and sends a strong message. They have to.

Edited for accuracy (I viewed the sucker punch again)

Edited by Jim R

Guy, feel free to call me "Jim". Anyway, just to elaborate a bit, since you can understand their annoyance, you aren't completely disagreeing with me (I don't think). I'm just saying they have a right to complain publicly about Denver playing their stars while up by such a big margin with the game effectively being over. I think they were legitimately upset, and were not out of line in delivering the hard foul. I'm not saying that it gave them the right to do anything nasty, but I really don't think that the hard foul was very excessive. A hard foul is a hard foul, and it's part of the game. It comes with consequences, but it's a common thing (the circumstances vary of course, and sometimes there's less emotion involved, such as Monta Ellis getting clotheslined the other night in the middle of the game). Like I said, in this case the hard foul wasn't endangering the offensive player- he was still on the ground, and there was no punch or vicious elbow to the head. Collins fouled him hard, and immediately raised his arms up and away. That doesn't mean that the Knicks don't deserve any punishment as a result of what developed, but all I saw the Knicks doing was either harmless shoving or defending themselves (Nate Robinson got tackled, Collins got sucker punched). To me, Denver was generally more at fault for the whole thing.

Hmm... I just viewed the tape at ESPN.com. First off, I wouldn't say this was worse than the Pacers/Pistons. Not at all. There was a lot more pushing, grabbing and holding as opposed to punching in this one, and of course it didn't spread into the seats and get spectators involved (at least not to any serious degree that I was able to see).

That is true. It stayed pretty much on the court. It will be interesting to see what punishment the league hands down. Overall, it was completely un-called for and a case of extreme over-reaction, especially in a game that was already won.

In fact, that same night, in the Pistons/Nets game, Dale Davis got tired of Krstic bullying him and putting elbows in his face under the basket and threw Krstic down like a rag doll to the floor. I'm surprised they didn't eject Davis, but they called a foul and that was that. The situation was resolved, the game went on, no big deal. That game was a lot closer score-wise and that one situation could've easily led into something bigger, but it didn't.

Yeah Jim, I really wonder if there is more to the Knick/Nugget thing than strictly what occurred that night and at that particular point in the game. In other words, perhaps some carry-over from some other game, or some other incident(s) that might have occurred earlier in that game. I've seen so many hard fouls already this season, it just seems like a routine thing that usually doesn't escalate into anything. This Collins foul seems relatively tame... maybe there had been a lot of trash talking before the incident occurred... who knows.

Yeah Jim, I really wonder if there is more to the Knick/Nugget thing than strictly what occurred that night and at that particular point in the game. In other words, perhaps some carry-over from some other game, or some other incident(s) that might have occurred earlier in that game. I've seen so many hard fouls already this season, it just seems like a routine thing that usually doesn't escalate into anything. This Collins foul seems relatively tame... maybe there had been a lot of trash talking before the incident occurred... who knows.

there's been bad blood between the two teams the last few times they've played, George Karl is very good friends with Larry Brown and feels like Brown got screwed by Isiah in NY (which is totally laughable, but that's beside the point). so the reason the starters were still in a 20 point blowout with a minute to go after playing the night before also was to try to show up NY even more (as if they weren't awful enough on their own).

and whoever said this was worse than Pacers/Pistons needs to do some Youtube searches immediately, not even in the same ballpark.

I like Kobe's quote: "You tip your hat and say, 'See you next time.' I don't think he has a conscience. I really don't. He was chucking out there. He took some horrible shots and he made some big ones. I don't get a chance to play him much. I'll be ready next time."

C'mon Kobe, give the man some credit. You played no D on him! :D

Jason Maxiell had his official NBA coming out party last night, scoring 17 points and pulling in 12 rebounds. He is the real replacement for Ben with the added bonus that he can SCORE. Everytime he got the ball, the only thing the Sonics could do was foul him, or he'd have a lay-up or a slam dunk. He's going to be a great player.

Maxiell is Barkley-esque, I'm hearing. Plays much taller than he actually is.

He is no Darko, but ill take him. He'll be a nice bench play, borderline starter, for years to come in this league. Alot of intensity, a bit too much at times. He gets a hold of the ball and doesnt want to let go.

Ouch.

"NEW YORK -- The Denver Nuggets were the bigger losers Monday after the NBA handed out penalties in the fight that broke out near the end of Saturday night's game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the NBA's leading scorer, was suspended 15 games for sucker-punching the Knicks' Mardy Collins. Denver teammate J.R. Smith and New York's Nate Robinson also received the stiffest of penalties issued by the league -- 10-game suspensions.

Both franchises were fined $500,000 each.

Collins, whose hard foul of Smith was the tipping point to the fight, was suspended for six games. Knicks forward Jared Jeffries was suspended for four games, and New York's Jerome James and Denver's Nene were hit with one-game penalties for leaving their respective benches during an on-court altercation."