Sports: NBA 2006-2007

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the old ball is returning jan 1st

phil said the lakers are interested in AI........

If Kupchak trades Odom for AI, y'all may see me weep. At most we'd better ship out Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic, and Chris Mihm.

Edited by Noj

Lamar Odom with a strained MCL, out 6 weeks. This will really slow the Lakers down.

Especially since the easy-peasy schedule will end soon. However, they were headed for a 5-8 playoff spot and a 1st round playoff exit before the injury and that will not change.

The Suns play the Heat tonight, without Wade. I'll have to go with the Suns, but teams tend to get more careless as winning streaks get longer.

Guy

Well, they did just beat San Antonio and Houston back to back, fwiw.

Well, if McGrady is out for the rest of the season and Odom comes back fairly quickly then they have a decent chance of beating Houston for spot #4. (Denver will compete for that spot, as will the Clips if they ever show signs of life.) There's no way they are beating San Antonio in a 7 game series.

Guy

Yeah, hence "fwiw." I didn't think they'd make it to the 2nd round last year--and hell if they didn't almost make it to the conference finals. With the emergence of Bynum and Farmar, I'd be lying if I didn't have a little more hope than last year. If Odom isn't healthy, they might not even be a playoff team.

Current Team Salaries

It's interesting, the highest paid player on the Dallas Mavericks this year is Michael Finley, who plays for the Spurs. :D

It's also interesting how few of the top payroll teams are championship contenders, and how many of the bottom teams are good/competitive. Money alone won't buy you wins.

Guy

The 76ers' locker room at the Wachovia Center was emptier than usual tonight when media members were allowed in before the game, and the customary glimpse toward the far left corner of the room bore that out.

Allen Iverson no longer had a locker.

Iverson's nameplate above the space had been removed. The hangers were empty. No sneakers could be found anywhere. The only sign that someone once had occupied that locker was a lone white bathrobe hanging up.

If you had any question the Allen Iverson era had ended in Philadelphia, this confirmed it.

In the long run you guys are better off. The guy is definitely overrated -- he couldn't get his team into the playoffs even in the eastern conference. Better to start from scratch, and maybe Philly will either get a good replacement or get rid of some bloated contract.

There's some talk of the Warriors trading for him -- I hope not! :o

Guy

I just read this:

"Around the NBA ... Sixers GM Billy King told another Eastern Conference executive last night that he has "two deals on the table, ready to go."

One of the deals King was strongly considering is with Golden State, for point guard Baron Davis, center Andris Biedrins and a third unidentified player. In addition to Iverson, the Warriors would get backup center Steven Hunter. While a source close to one of the players involved called the deal "done," the Sixers remain quiet about where they will be sending Iverson. -- New York Daily News"

NO, No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... please, God, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...

That's a horrible trade. Hopefully it's just a rumor or Chris Mullin should be drawn and quartered.

It's only worth getting Iverson if (A) the Warriors keep Ellis & Biedrins and (B) they manage to get rid of at least one of the Foyle/Dunleavy/Murphy contracts. Otherwise, send the overrated chucker somewhere else.

Guy

I like team basketball. Baron can score when he needs to, AND pass the ball. Biedrins is rapidly developing into an excellent center, which is something we haven't had for a long time. I like our chemistry now. A major trade would screw that up, and we'd be set back about 3 or 4 years. If Murph has to go because he doesn't fit into Nellie's system, then I can live with that. Personally, I'd rather keep Dunleavy, but I could live with his exit as well. If anybody wants Foyle, okay. But trading away our nucleus in order to get Iverson would be a mistake, imo.

Baron Davis career numbers: .408 fg%, 7.1 ast

Allen Iverson: .421 fg%, 6.1 ast

And Iverson spent most of those years as a SG. At point AI always averaged over 7 assists.

Yes his team sucks. Trade him straight up for any other player in the league, and the 76ers would still suck. Thats not his fault.

Im not saying he doesnt have baggage, or that he doesnt shoot too much, but he is still an elite player. Better than everyone of the Warriors, and everyone but Dirk on the Mavs. To call him a chucker or overrated is just plain insane. NOBODY in the league has the heart and the drive that he does. If he was 6'4'' or taller, he would be damn near the greatest to ever play the game. And he would instantly make the Warriors a better team, and give Dallas the pair of balls that they need.

The man averaged 33 pts, 7.4 ast, and 1.9 steals, on 45% shooting last year. While playing 43 minutes a game. Those are absolutely insane numbers. He is UNDERRATED. Especially by you old fogeys :-)

Edited by md655321

Baron Davis career numbers: .408 fg%, 7.1 ast

Allen Iverson: .421 fg%, 6.1 ast

Baron Davis is a chucker too, no disagreement about that. That's the biggest flaw in his game.

And Iverson spent most of those years as a SG. At point AI always averaged over 7 assists.

Yes his team sucks. Trade him straight up for any other player in the league, and the 76ers would still suck. Thats not his fault.

A great player makes his team compete -- he does not lead them into the eastern conference basement. Otherwise you're just a guy who puts up great numbers on a shitty team.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Plenty of amazing players have found themselves on poor teams. The GM is responsible for having his team compete as well. Are you telling me you Chris Bosh is suddenly a terrible player because of his team? Is there any player in the league (especially any guard) who would turn the 76ers into a playoff team? I dont think so.

Plenty of amazing players have found themselves on poor teams. The GM is responsible for having his team compete as well. Are you telling me you Chris Bosh is suddenly a terrible player because of his team?

Nobody has been calling Chris Bosh or Allen Iverson a terrible player. Of course, Bosh is much more valuable because he's a big man.

Is there any player in the league (especially any guard) who would turn the 76ers into a playoff team? I dont think so.

LeBron, Dwyane Wade, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant could probably turn Philly into a playoff team, at least in the east. FWIW, it's not just that Philly isn't a playoff team -- it's that they flat out suck.

To go back to shooting percentages:

Name Team Pct PPG

Allen Iverson PHI 41.3 31.2

Carmelo Anthony DEN 49.8 31.0

Joe Johnson ATL 50.4 28.7

Gilbert Arenas WAS 42.7 28.1

Dwyane Wade MIA 46.5 28.0

Michael Redd MIL 46.7 28.0

Vince Carter NJ 48.4 27.9

Kobe Bryant LAL 48.2 26.6

LeBron James CLE 47.1 26.4

Yao Ming HOU 52.2 26.1

Iverson is the only top 10 scoring player with such a crappy shooting percentage. He's a chucker.

He also plays more minutes than any of these other players so his scoring numbers are somewhat inflated.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I think that article hits the nail on the head with Iverson. He's an incredibly gifted scorer, and when he's hitting it's fun to watch. It just isn't winning basketball. If he could play within an offensive system, limit his shots to the open ones, and create for others the rest of the time, he'd be playing winning basketball...but then he wouldn't be playing the style he's always played.

This is why I'd rather have Baron Davis. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd bet Baron doesn't take as many shots as AI. A Warriors fan on another board was just praising Baron's passiveness on offense.

The closest the Sixers and AI came to a Championship was when the discrepancy between East and West was at its most extreme, with the West pretty much guaranteed to spank the East in the Finals. The East was so awful AI was able to get all the way to the Finals with his one-man show, with players like Aaron McKie and Eric Snow playing the best ball of their careers. He squeaked out an OT victory over the Lakers in the Finals, but the next four games weren't even close.

Edited by Noj