Sonny Rollins' "Way Out West"

Matthew

I've been listening to Way Out West a lot recently, and I was wondering in what order the songs were recorded during this early morning session. Looked at the usual sources but can't seem to find anything. Here's the session:

Sonny Rollins Trio

Sonny Rollins (ts) Ray Brown (b) Shelly Manne (d)

Los Angeles, CA, March 7, 1957

I'm an Old Cowhand Contemporary C 3530

Solitude -

Come, Gone -

Wagon Wheels -

There Is No Greater Love -

Way Out West -

I'm an Old Cowhand (alt. take) Contemporary C 7651; Fantasy OJCCD 337-2

Way Out West (alt. take) -

Come, Gone (alt. take)

Anyone have a listing for this? Thanks for any help.

I'm still trying the internet to find out the order, no luck though, but thanks to all for looking. No big deal if it's not out there, it's a great album as is and Mr. Sangrey has a great post on the sequencing of the lp. It's one of those session that would have been great to put out as a whole, kind of like what Verve was doing a couple of years back. It's one of the few sessions that I would be interested in hearing the whole tape; the musicians working things out, etc. Just a side note, but I also think a mono mix would improve things a bit, it just seems that the music is a little too spread out.

Edited by Matthew

Can't check now, but in case it helps, IIRC the "Freelance" Sonny Rollins box has the Way Out West tracks in different sequence.

F

box sequence:

I'm an old cowhand

Way out west

Come, gone

There is no greater love

Wagon wheels

Solitude

I'm an old cowhand - alt

Come, gone - alt

There is no greater love - alt

Way out west - alt

• 5 months later...

pell recorded i'm an old cowhand in september of 1956. newk's version came 6 months later in march of 1957. johnny mercer wrote the tune in 1936. it was his first big hit and was used in the film rhythm on the range, starring singing rodeo cowboy bing crosby and featuring the sons of the pioneers with roy rogers.

rhythm.JPG

the song was popularized that same year by bing fronting jimmy dorsey's orchestra. over the next 20 years, cowhand was recorded by many artists, including bunny berigan, jack teagarden, roy rogers and sons of the pioneers, frank sinatra, and ray conniff.

• 3 years later...

did rollins rip off dave pell,or did dave pell rip off sonny rollins?

Far more serious is Rollins' rip-off of "In a Chapel in the Moonlight" from Kitty Kallen and "You" from Art Linkletter (both on "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders"). The man simply had no decency.

Far more serious is Rollins' rip-off of "In a Chapel in the Moonlight" from Kitty Kallen and "You" from Art Linkletter (both on "Sonny Rollins and the Contemporary Leaders"). The man simply had no decency.

Indeed!

Look at how he stole Al Jolson & "Toot Toot Tootsie" - final proof (as if any more is needed), that everything we think we know about the origins & meaning of "jazz" is wrong, and that the history of the music needs to be rewritten to reflect THE TRUTH!!!

Indeed!

Look at how he stole Al Jolson & "Toot Toot Tootsie" - final proof (as if any more is needed), that everything we think we know about the origins & meaning of "jazz" is wrong, and that the history of the music needs to be rewritten to reflect THE TRUTH!!!

I think Sonny was ripping off Lucy and Ethel when he did I'm an Old Cowhand. That's where most people i know who know the song know the song from.