Anybody into Boule, Bocce or Petanque?

There are some cheap petanque/boule sets of 6 balls and a cochonette on eBay for $10 or so. We have a bocce/boule/petanque court in the senior center in our one-horse town.

I was thinking it's time to kick some octogenarian ass! I played a few trimes with my friends in Paris, and it seems like a sport I could embrace. Very little physical effort, just what I like. Anybody into this stuff?

cphum026.jpg

petanque.jpg

LC1868-600.jpg

I dunno man, some of those old guys are frontin', if you know what I mean, and might not let you live to celebrate...

I know what you mean. Some of them are old school Italians...

Still, I'll take my chances, but leave the key in the ignition. Thanks for the heads-up, bro!

Sort of related to this thread. One of my fondest memories of my trip to Paris this past April was an afternoon spent in the Luxembourg Gardens. It was beautiful - sunny, about 75 degrees and the spring flowers were in bloom.

While walking through, we stumbled on an area set up solely for petanque. Is petanque court the correct term? At any rate, the area was packed with players. Interesting, there was a portable coat rack for businessmen to hang their jackets upon.

The whole scene was way cool. :cool:

Bocce seems to be making a comeback of sorts in my neck of the woods. My girlfriend's brother has a set of bocce balls. Takes the place of pitching horseshoes at summer gatherings. :tup

Edited by Ed Swinnich

D, I play bocce from time to time.

There are games just about every night into the morning in Queens. The guys play at "Spaghetti Park" across from Parkside Italian Restuarant and the Lemon Ice King in Corona. Lots of money changes hands, so I watch more since I don't have true skills just yet.

seniorreference2.jpg

Bocce2.jpg

parks3.jpg

Bath Beach Park in Brooklyn..

P1000930.jpg

They still play in Dyker as well.

D, I play bocce from time to time.

There are games just about every night into the morning in Queens. The guys play at "Spaghetti Park" across from Parkside Italian Restuarant and the Lemon Ice King in Corona. Lots of money changes hands, so I watch more since I don't have true skills just yet.

seniorreference2.jpg

Bocce2.jpg

parks3.jpg

Bath Beach Park in Brooklyn..

P1000930.jpg

They still play in Dyker as well.

It's also big at Marine Park near me. Some of the bocce players are also members of the Marine Park Civic Association, so they had enough juice to go from two to three bocce courts and to have lights installed so that they can play at night. I see them out there with the rulers(necessary to avoid silly arguments) regularly. I've played it a few times and it's a lot of fun, but watch it Dmitry, some of these dudes are cutthroat players!

Catesta,

The courts at Marine Park are very nice, the added third one was built about a year ago, and the two originals have been very well maintained. The park itself is very nice, with basketball courts, tennis courts, handball courts, a bicycle track, walking track, cricket, baseball/softball fields, even workout stations where peole can do various calsthenics.