Books/articles on Afro-Cuban jazz?

Hey all, I'm looking for articles--or, better yet, a good book--on Afro-Cuban jazz from the late 1930s into the 1950s. I'm currently perusing Gene Santoro's Latin jazz article in The Oxford Companion to Jazz and hoping to find yet more info; seems as if I heard within the past year about somebody doing a dissertation or book on the topic & era about which I'm inquiring.

Also, are any recordings from Machito's early band the Afro-Cubans currently in print or readily available anywhere?

• 1 month later...

How about trying this one for a start?

Latin Jazz - The Perfect Combination

by Raúl Fernández

Chronicle Books, San Franciasco 2002 (ISBN 0-8118-3608-8)

It does cover more recent latin jazz artists too but has a heavy emphasis on the 30s, 40s and 50s - and splendid photos and background info!

I found my copy in the sale bin of an art bookseller over here in Germany so it should be available Stateside too. Good luck tracking it down!

Many thanks, compadres. Not really related, I suppose, but looking over this thread (and my query re: the early Afro-Cubans material, which I think came out on Decca), I was reminded of what a radio friend told me yesterday: Bear Family's about to put out a huge box of 1939-41 calypso music that came out on the Decca label.

Edited by ghost of miles

Straight from the horse's mouth (just received the Bear Family catalog a couple of days ago):

WEST INDIAN RHYTHM - Trinidad Calypsos On World and Local Events Featuring the Censored Recordings - 1938-40

10-CD box with hardcover book (including 33 masters never released before), order No. BCD 16623 JM

These ARE Decca masters indeed and the Dick Spottswood mentioned above was involved in writing the accompanying book.

The earliest Machito I have (besides sideman recordings with the Sexteto Matamoros on the Tumbao label) is a Palladium CD PCD-116 Machito and his Afro-Cubans - 1941

c1794.jpg

Machito and his Afro Cubans

Featuring: Mario Baúza (tp)

REFERENCE: PCD-116

PRICE: 8.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Sopa De Pichón

2. Chacumbele

3. La Rumbantela

4. Nagüe

5. Parabola Negra

6. El Muerto Se Fue De Rumba