Its the Doggie Kisses Poll

Kissing/Being Kissed By a Dog  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was yelling at the TV (Jeter's run scoring hit) and Coltrane, with a very concerned look on his face, came over, climbed on top of me and started giving me doggie kisses all over my entire face (he hates it when I get upset, and this is his way of making it better) when this poll occured to me.

So what do you think of doggie kisses?

Back in the 70's, one of my brothers had a German Shepherd that had a nostril fetish. If you were lying down- especially if you were on your back, that dog would get its tongue up inside your nose and really give you a good clean-out (if you could hold still long enough :rofl: ). I've never really had a problem with dogs (especially big dogs, which I feel more comfortable around) licking my face a bit, as long as they stay away from my mouth. My other brother currently has a Border Terrier, and that little bastard is constantly trying to get his tongue in people's mouths. Can't take your eyes off him for even a second if he's on your lap. My German Shepherd isn't that affectionate, but she'll give kisses occasionally (mostly to collect whatever saltiness she can get from my forehead when I'm out working in the yard <_< ).

Myth: Dogs Have Cleaner Mouths Than Humans

Pooches Mouths Are Dirty, but They're Safe to Kiss

Oct. 14, 2005 — - Pet lovers can't get enough affection from their pooches. And if licking is loving, they get a lot of loving.

But is it really safe to kiss a dog, considering where they often put their mouths?

"Their saliva is much cleaner and if you have a cut or anything, if they lick it -- it's healing," one woman told "20/20" while being interviewed in New York City.

Proof From a Veterinarian

To find out just who has a cleaner mouth, we asked veterinarian and fellow dog lover Marty Becker, author of "Chicken Soup for the Dog Owner's Soul," to offer his opinion.

"They raid the garbage can. You know, we give each other a peck on the cheek when we say hello, they give each other a peck on the rear end," said Becker. "All you got to do is look, watch, smell and you'll realize that that is not true."

He thinks the myth that a dog's mouth is clean stems from their practice of licking their wounds.

"And they'll be licking that wound and you'll notice that the wound heals very fast … what that tongue does is it gets rid of the dead tissue," said Becker.

He compares that tongue lashing to the work of a surgeon who cleans out a wound, and said the licking also stimulates circulation.

Go Ahead, Give Them a Kiss

If you want to give your pooch a kiss, it may be safer than kissing another human.

Becker says many of the bacteria in the mouth of a dog are species specific, so it won't harm its owner.

"So a staph or a strep for a human is not transmissible to a dog, if you were to kiss it, and vice versa," said Becker.

Bottom line -- you're more likely to get a serious illness from kissing a person than kissing a dog. But since dogs do transmit some germs, Becker has some advice: "Keep the vaccines current. Good external parasite control, good internal parasite control. You're going to be good to go."

And then, he says you can kiss them all you want.

"They love us unconditionally, they make us laugh," said Becker. "If we're going to give them a little kiss to thank them for that, then that's good by me."

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures

But is it really safe to kiss a dog, considering where they often put their mouths?

Interesting article, but several times it's talking about "kissing dogs". That's not really what we're talking about. It's dogs kissing us, not vice-versa. I very rarely put my mouth on any part of a dog. Kissing a dog on the snout may seem like a show of affection to us, but I suspect it would only confuse the dog. Anyway, the subject is humans being on the receiving end, and in general I'd say that involves the hands, the cheeks, the forehead... not the mouth (and I'm not saying there's no reason to consider what germs may be deposited on the body parts I mentioned, it's just that they're less likely to affect you in those places than they would if they went into your mouth... and mouth-to-mouth kissing between a dog and a human is a lot less common, I'd say).

Interesting article, but several times it's talking about "kissing dogs". That's not really what we're talking about. It's dogs kissing us, not vice-versa. I very rarely put my mouth on any part of a dog. Kissing a dog on the snout may seem like a show of affection to us, but I suspect it would only confuse the dog. Anyway, the subject is humans being on the receiving end, and in general I'd say that involves the hands, the cheeks, the forehead... not the mouth (and I'm not saying there's no reason to consider what germs may be deposited on the body parts I mentioned, it's just that they're less likely to affect you in those places than they would if they went into your mouth... and mouth-to-mouth kissing between a dog and a human is a lot less common, I'd say).

Actually, Jim, both the title of the poll and the second choice mentions "kissing dogs", and the act of kissing them back (snout or elsewhere) was meant to be implied in the first choice.

And kissing dogs on the snout is definitely seen as a sign of affection by our dogs. Quick little pecks in rapid succession make our Weimaraner turn around and give tiny little kisses back.

BTW, the article is dead on as far as licking and cleaning wounds go. Coltrane always goes after my nicks and cuts, and even if a wound is covered with a bandage before he sees it, he's checking it out and trying to fix it up. But that vet is not the kind of Dr. I prefer. The best vet we had always came in and sat down on the floor and loved up the dog first before anything else. Terrific bedside manner. :g

Actually, Jim, both the title of the poll and the second choice mentions "kissing dogs", and the act of kissing them back (snout or elsewhere) was meant to be implied in the first choice.

Okay, I see that now. For some reason, I rarely look at the title of the poll (just the thread title and the poll options... maybe I don't notice the poll title as much because of the dark letters against the purple background). Anyway, in my experience, people who are willing to get face-to-face with dogs are a lot more likely to just receive, and not give.

Couple of comments to add.

Regarding dogs licking wounds/kissing people:

Coltrane is so in love with Gracie, our Weimaraner we've had for a year now, that he gives her kisses just like he does us. Not necessarily with the same gusto, but he will lick her face or around her eyes, or whatever part of her anatomy is closest when they are sitting near each other on the couch. He is so :wub: on her, its amazing. I have to agree with my wife that we've never seen a male dog act this way with another dog.

Regarding the question of people kissing dogs and how dogs respond:

When I was living alone in Tallahassee up through my first year of marriage, I had a beagle named Bailey. It was just me and her and so I was this dog's entire life and she was, until Coltrane, the most affectionate dog I've had. So one day, I'm sitting on the recliner and she's on the couch. She's looking at me, I look at her and made the kissing sound. Bailey immediately stuck her tongue out and licked her nose. I kissed again. She did it again. I thought to myself, that was just coincidence, so I waited an extra couple of beats, and then I kissed the air once again. And like some ingrained pavlovian response, Bailey once again kissed back. :wub:

• 6 years later...

I should update for the Gould household - in the time since this poll was active, our Weimaraner, Gracie, has learned to give kisses. You might think that's instinctual for dogs but when we got her, she wouldn't. We're convinced that Coltrane's kisses showed her how love is expressed and now she especially likes to give me kisses on Sunday mornings, which is when I get to sleep in. When I get up I quietly open the bedroom door and then go back to bed. She always hears it and bursts up the stairs and leaps on the bed, where she gives a bunch of good morning kisses.

I should update for the Gould household - in the time since this poll was active, our Weimaraner, Gracie, has learned to give kisses. You might think that's instinctual for dogs but when we got her, she wouldn't. We're convinced that Coltrane's kisses showed her how love is expressed and now she especially likes to give me kisses on Sunday mornings, which is when I get to sleep in. When I get up I quietly open the bedroom door and then go back to bed. She always hears it and bursts up the stairs and leaps on the bed, where she gives a bunch of good morning kisses.

As an owner of two dogs (Cavalier Spaniels) this is very cute and is close to what my wife and I experience most every morning. I say "owner" but they are definitely members of the family.

I grew up with dogs, now have a cat, love both, but need no kisses from either.

I find it frankly rather disgusting and still remember this thread from back in the day, when I decided not to post anything, but since it's back up, here's my opinion (when I want yours, I'll give it to you ;) )