Watermelon - Salted or Not?

No Mercy Shown To Sinners!  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In an office where I worked, the woman who made the coffee would put some salt in it, supposedly to cut down on the bitterness. So, since I was always the first one to arrive, I offered to get the coffee started so no one would have to wait when they got to work (I always had enough coffee at home in the morning that I never drank any at the office).

Well, apparently I oversalted the coffee because everyone looked like this :bad:

:g

That was the first, and last, time I made coffee for that office. :P

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of salting watermelon before. But as Big Wheel writes, salt is often used to enhance sweetness.

Salt actually accentuates the taste of sugar. You have to be careful not to overdo it, of course, but there are a lot of recipes that take advantage of this property of salt.

Prosciutto is pretty salty, and the prosciutto/melon combination is an Italian classic.

Yes, prosciutto and melon! A wonderful combination. This summer I've made a salad a few times that includes chunks of watermelon along with salty oil-cured black olives, red onions, and mesclun with a light vinegraitte. Tastes damn good to me.

Here, were we have a lot of watermelon, we either eat it as is, or with a salty Feta Cheese.

I like the idea of that combination, White Lightning. I'll have to give it a try. Or maybe just add it to the salad I mentioned above.

My dad, who was from Minnesota, always salted his watermelon. I've never known anyone else who does, but I can remember seeing adds for salt when I was a kid that showed watermelon, so I learned early on that it is popular - somewhere. A regional thing, I guess.

No salt for me. I lived in Minnesota from ages one to nine, and never heard of salt on watermelon. I'll have to remember to ask my mother - who's a native Minnesotan - if she or anyone she knew ever did the salt thing.

I guess since so many of you are disgusted :bad: by even the thought of salted watermelon (I'm almost certain most of you have never tried it) there's no use for a thread about BOILED peanuts. :g (that's a Jimmy Carter smile)

Dad loves 'em boiled; I can't stand 'em! :lol:

Edited by Jazzmoose

I guess since so many of you are disgusted :bad: by even the thought of salted watermelon (I'm almost certain most of you have never tried it) there's no use for a thread about BOILED peanuts. :g (that's a Jimmy Carter smile)

Why would you boil peanuts? What do they taste like? :huh:

Guy

Why would you boil peanuts? What do they taste like? :huh:

Guy

Friggin' delicious. Of course, I barely remember what they taste like after I tried them for the first time at age 10, ate at least 4 pounds of the goddamn things in one sitting, and then crawled out of bed at 4 AM and was the most violently ill I've ever been in my life. Haven't touched them since (though that's partly because I've barely spent any time in the Deep South since).

It's probably unlikely that overeating made me that sick - more likely I just had a coincidental stomach bug or food poisoning. But the mental association is still there.

Edited by Big Wheel

• 9 months later...

Now how about eating melon nekkid to help keep the flies off of it?

This begs to question, "How does nekkidness ward off flies?" Seems like it'd attract flies if anything.

You know, I'd like watermelon if it wasn't for those pesky seeds. Why they gotta put seeds in it?

Anyhow, if I'm threatened, I can eat the vile fruit( I reckon it's a fruit ) with or without salt; same's cantaloupe.

Edited by MoGrubb

Now how about eating melon nekkid to help keep the flies off of it?

This begs to question, "How does nekkidness ward off flies?" Seems like it'd attract flies if anything.

You know, I'd like watermelon if it wasn't for those pesky seeds. Why they gotta put seeds in it?

Anyhow, if I'm threatened, I can eat the vile fruit( I reckon it's a fruit ) with or without salt; same's cantaloupe.

Luckily those pesky seeds are an option!

seedlesswatermelon.jpg

Seedless%20watermelon.jpg

Edited by Aggie87