Cootie Williams "The Big Challenge" As good as his others?

Jazztropic

Have not heard the Fresh Sound issue but do have the original Jazztone lp and love it. The idea is 2 trumpets, 2 tenors, 2 trombones and rhythm. The others are Rex Stewart, Bud Freeman, Coleman Hawkins, Lawrence Brown, JC Higginbotham, Hank Jones, Billy Bauer, Milt Hinton and Gus Johnson. What's not to like?

Bud is in topnotch and very feisty form, and Hawkins replies in kind. All the horns are great to hear, but the Freeman-Hawkins thing is special. And that's one heck of a rhythm section, with special credit to Gus Johnson and Billy Bauer, who as I recall once stated that he was very proud of his work on this date, felt that it was a privilege to be there.

• 4 years later...

also, I think (haven't listened to it in a long time) I never liked the SOUND on that recording - too much echo/reverb (sorry, another nit) -

was it done in Webster Hall? Because I usually like the sound of that room.

I used to have a copy of the Fresh Sound reissue. The sound bothered me and I ended up trading it. Not sure if I heard what Allen heard, but the sound spoiled the music for me.

a lot of '50s jazz recordings were made in rooms that were used so the sound could have a natural reverberation. Sometimes this worked well, sometimes not (the afformentioned Webster Hall was the locale of zillions of sessions). I've always disliked a lot of the Vanguard recordings from this era because they were too reverberant (some might have been from the early '60s). Some of the Columbia Jimmy Rushings have the same problem, IIRC.

Edited by AllenLowe

also, I think (haven't listened to it in a long time) I never liked the SOUND on that recording - too much echo/reverb (sorry, another nit) -

The liner notes of the Jazztone LP (reprinted on the FS reissue) say indeed the recording was made in Webster Hall.

Thought I posted something like the following before leaving the house eight hours ago, but I guess I hit the wrong button:

I listened to my mono Jazztone LP of this session today, and thought it sounded great - very natural sounding. But I have a Coleman Hawkins LP with an alternate take from the session, and that track sounds very cavernous and artificial. I'm guessing that someone made an "improved" master after the original issue.