Do all JRVGs come in mini-LP jackets?

Kyo

yes, all japanese RVG issues come in mini-lp format...

if you pick up a jewelcased japanese bluenote, it can be one of basically three issues;

1. the most recent 24-bit 1500 Yen issue

2. the prior BN works (what most refer to as the "TOCJ" series) issue

3. the first generation toshiba pressings, scarce as they are, which are earmarked by less refined graphics and label printing (not to mention sound that, to simplify, sounds like a lot of OJC pressings)

regards,

-e-

yes, all japanese RVG issues come in mini-lp format...

if you pick up a jewelcased japanese bluenote, it can be one of basically three issues;

1. the most recent 24-bit 1500 Yen issue

2. the prior BN works (what most refer to as the "TOCJ" series) issue

3. the first generation toshiba pressings, scarce as they are, which are earmarked by less refined graphics and label printing (not to mention sound that, to simplify, sounds like a lot of OJC pressings)

regards,

-e-

Many if not most of the last group mentioned above, the first generation Toshiba pressings, have the same masterings as their U.S. counterparts, while the first and second groups, the most recent 24-bit 1500 Yen reissues and the older "Blue Note Works" TOCJs, were remastered by Toshiba engineers.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks! I'm going to order some of the more recent 1500 Yen remasters later this week then. I just want to avoid those weird-sounding JRVGs at all costs (even if some of them sound good it's hard to keep track which ones are problematic).

Edited by Kyo

I just don't want to avoid those weird-sounding JRVGs at all costs (even if some of them sound good it's hard to keep track which ones are problematic).

You mean you Want to avoid ....etc.

I only have one of the 1500 yen cds, the Blues Walk by Lu Donaldson. Sounds ok.

To my ears the tocj's are the best sounding BN cds en masse. Wish they'd include the bonus tracks though... But this has been discussed ad nauseum for the last 6 or 7 years.

never seen 'em - have a catalog number?

china, korea, and other asian countries place obi-strips around their releases.

-e-

ps: all pressings are going to be somewhat inconsistent and not pleasing everyone because their masters are inconsistent.

Edited by etherbored

Stupid question I've been meaning to ask for a long time: OBI="original box and inserts"? or something else? :huh: ( I know what an OBI strip is--just wondering about the derivation of the term.)

Stupid question I've been meaning to ask for a long time: OBI="original box and inserts"? or something else? :huh: ( I know what an OBI strip is--just wondering about the derivation of the term.)

As far as I know "obi" is the Japanese word for sash.

Edited by J.A.W.

the obi is the belt to the kimono, hence its nickname for the rectangular strip of paper that translates into japanese (et al) the details of the package it represents.

"obi strips", or something equivalent, are on all sorts of consumer goods in japan...

-e-

Obi-sash.jpg

Edited by etherbored

Some of the JRVGs were combined into 2CD jewel cases and imported from Japan, proinently displaying JRVG with bonus tracks and a fat obi. I have the 2CD Blue Note Monk and the Jazz Messengers 2CD from Birdland. I also saw the JM from the Cafe Bohemia in the same format.

I've got the Kenny Dorham Cafe Bohemia and Sonny Clark Trios in this two cd format. There was also the Miles Davis material. Not sure that the JJ made it to this format.

As far as I know "obi" is the Japanese word for sash.

the obi is the belt to the kimono, hence its nickname for the rectangular strip of paper that translates into japanese (et al) the details of the package it represents.

"obi strips", or something equivalent, are on all sorts of consumer goods in japan...

-e-

Obi-sash.jpg

Thanks, guys!

There are actually more than 3 Japanese Blue Note reissue campaigns. There was also the HSS campaign and more here and there.

Mostly the original series were simply taken from the American CD masterings and generally reflect the era they were made in - sound is lackluster and not terribly faithful to the tapes.

The TOCJ's are liked by some but I suspect that has more to do with harsh, un-natural sounding CD players than any qualities of the transfers, because I find them overall soft, diffuse, lacking detail - not so great. But I can see why that might be a tonic for screeching CD players.

The RVG's in general are superb. Whether they represent the original vinyl faithfully is irrelevant and arbitrary, they are overwhelmingly the best possible representation of the material in 2006.

The newest Japanese series of 24bit remasters are curiously good. They completely supercede any previous issue other than the RVG, and even compared to those, it becomes a matter of taste - they are less of an interpretation than the RVG's, which is valid, and are not as crisp and detailed but are very musical, relaxed and have good detail.

I wish both the Japanese 24 bit series and the RVG series would continue, the Japanese have long led the way on Blue Note reissues.

The newest Japanese series of 24bit remasters are curiously good. They completely supercede any previous issue other than the RVG, and even compared to those, it becomes a matter of taste - they are less of an interpretation than the RVG's, which is valid, and are not as crisp and detailed but are very musical, relaxed and have good detail.

agreed...

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the JRVGs were combined into 2CD jewel cases and imported from Japan, proinently displaying JRVG with bonus tracks and a fat obi. I have the 2CD Blue Note Monk and the Jazz Messengers 2CD from Birdland. I also saw the JM from the Cafe Bohemia in the same format.

Right....there were (are) Dorham, Monk, Miles, J.J., Blakey (Birdland & Bohemia), Clark, Powell, Rollins and Jimmy Smith JRVG sets.

Indeed there's going to be a new RvG series in Japan in jewel case with all the bonus material which was on their US counterparts. The 2 CD sets with Complete Series on it has catalog numbers TOCJ-661xx. Not Korean but real Japanese cd's with the RvG remasters (sam as the US ones). The booklets in these are fabulous. Loads of Francis Wolff foto's and the original artworks are included, etc.