Jon Gordon

relyles

While in the process of compiling a Mark Turner discography I read some favorable reviews of Jon Gordon's Criss Cross releases, Witness and Along The Way. I have not had any meaningful exposure to Gordon's playing. Anyone have any substantive thoughts on Gordon generally and/or the aforementioned Criss Cross releases specifically?

Edited by relyles

Can't refer to any of his leadership dates, and frankly, I am not even sure about his playing specifically on this one:

1074.jpg

but I can tell you that if you're in the mood for a record that harkens back to classic Blue Note hard bop, Soulmates is extremely difficult to beat.

I thought he was not terribly original but certainly possessed the goods to put together coherent and impressive solos (though you're given more the promise and hear the potential rather than one standout solo after another). I had Witness and though it wasn't terrible or anything it didn't do much for me. Along the Way is supposed to be better and I might just give Gordon another chance if I see that at a clearance price. It's also to his credit that he plays with sidemen who are very much his equals.

Edited by gnhrtg

Great player, great talent, searching soul. He came up with a good friend of mine, Sean Smith. Sean plays bass beautifully and is a talented songwriter. The other close companion was Bill Charlap and we all know how he turned out. They went to Manhattan School together. I know for a fact that Phil Woods adores all three. John was his student and Bill plays in his band, as I'm sure most of you know. He's played Sean's tunes also and recorded one.

Years ago I used to play on 5th Avenue. One day a teenager with an alto case stopped and listened. After a tune or two he introduced himself and asked if he could sit in. I'd call what he did more than that. Next time I saw Jon he was hanging with Charles MacPherson when he was in town for a Barry Harris concert. This was the late '80s, not long after the street encounter. They were on the subway. I knew this young man was well on his way.

So he has sought out guidance from the best and with his talent he got all they could give. He has become a formidable player IMO. A good recording is The Things We Need. It has a children's choir conducted by Gavin Alsop. They do the title tune and I believe Old Folks. The rest of the CD I don't remember but it's gotta be good. I don't remember the rest of the personnel except Pete Bernstein, guitar and maybe Dennis Irwin, bass. Give him a try. he's worth it.

Edited by fasstrack

A good recording is The Things We Need. It has a children's choir conducted by Gavin Alsop. They do the title tune and I believe Old Folks. The rest of the CD I don't remember but it's gotta be good. I don't remember the rest of the personnel except Pete Bernstein, guitar and maybe Dennis Irwin, bass. Give him a try. he's worth it.

I have that one - it's indeed very nice, and exceptionally well recorded.