Any Drag Racing Fans Out There?

I also used to be a fan. Never have been to an actual event, but I still watch it on TV from time to time. I used to build model cars like a maniac, too. I probably suffered more brain damage from all that glue and paint than from everything I did in college.......

"Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen, Don "The Snake" Prudhomme, Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney, Connie Kalitta- these were the stars when I was most into the sport.

I still have my drag racing sound effects record "The Big Sounds Of The Drags".

"Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen, Don "The Snake" Prudhomme, Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney, Connie Kalitta- these were the stars when I was most into the sport.

That would be my era of drag racing, too.

Back in the Day, the Rails had the engine in front of the driver:

jim.jpg

But the Funny Cars have pretty much remained the same:

nhra_pic04.jpg

Remember the Swamp Rats?

IMG_2339-400.jpg

Yes I do :D

Ah, the Big Daddy! My dad used to race against him when he was a professional drag-racer in the 60's & 70's. I think I even met him once when I was a kid. Boy, those were the days, before corporate sponsorship drove out all the ones who raced simply for love of racing. I've got a lot of fond memories of traveling to places like Bowling Green, KY; Baton Rouge, LA (got the worlds WORST sunburn there. My dad used to tell me we we're going to Baton Rouge to watch the tornados go by, which scared me to death!); Ontario, CA; and of course, Green Valley Raceway here in Fort Worth! I've never been to Pomona, but I'll bet Dad knows it like the back of his hand!

Dad's now got a dragster and he occasionally hits the Old-Timers circuit. I guarantee you he is never happier than when he's sitting behind the wheel of an alcohol-injected monster tearing up the quarter-mile at about 200 mph.

Pro Comp all the way, baby!!!

Remember the Swamp Rats?

IMG_2339-400.jpg

Ah, the Big Daddy! My dad used to race against him when he was a professional drag-racer in the 60's & 70's. I think I even met him once when I was a kid. Boy, those were the days, before corporate sponsorship drove out all the ones who raced simply for love of racing. I've got a lot of fond memories of traveling to places like Bowling Green, KY; Baton Rouge, LA (got the worlds WORST sunburn there. My dad used to tell me we we're going to Baton Rouge to watch the tornados go by, which scared me to death!); Ontario, CA; and of course, Green Valley Raceway here in Fort Worth! I've never been to Pomona, but I'll bet Dad knows it like the back of his hand!

Dad's now got a dragster and he occasionally hits the Old-Timers circuit. I guarantee you he is never happier than when he's sitting behind the wheel of an alcohol-injected monster tearing up the quarter-mile at about 200 mph.

Very, very cool Big Al :D

Did your Dad ever race at the Winternationals in Pomona?

Remember the Swamp Rats?

IMG_2339-400.jpg

I'm sure he did! I just don't recall ever going with him when I was a kid. This would've been early- to mid-70's. Did you go?

Pure stock is where it's at for me. My fav's are the Stude Tomato ('63 Lark w/R2) and the Plain Brown Wrapper ('64 Studebaker 2dr sedan w/R3). Both well into the 12's, absolutely stock, street tires on original narrow rims. R2 =standard Stude 289 V-8 with supercharger. R3 = same bored to 304.5, big valves and ports, boost tuned up, ahnd assembled by Granitelli, available option on any '64 Stude, 365bhp at the rear wheels, will run with BBC and Hemis, couldn't give 'em away when new. 9 sold in Avantis (170mph at Bonneville), maybe 1 or 2 in sedans, about 100 engines sold later to retrofit, unknown # of clones.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

jeez, sorry to be a thread killer, but 'South Bend rules, Detroit drools'. Oh, and the height of NASCARwas when they actually were more or less stock cars and Hudson Hornets were kicking Big 3 butt. And yes, there are definite analogies to be drawn here to jazz fandom, but I'll leave that to you...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Remember the Swamp Rats?

IMG_2339-400.jpg

I'm sure he did! I just don't recall ever going with him when I was a kid. This would've been early- to mid-70's. Did you go?

I used to live about three miles from the racetrack when I was a kid. We could hear the loud speakers and the burnouts all day and night.

But back in dem daze we kids didn't have two nickels to rub together...so we would either drive by and get glimpses through the fences or go up on the hills behind and watch until the cops ran us off.

Edited by GoodSpeak