happy birthday Urbie Green

slide_advantage_redoux

Happy Birthday to one of the world's most phenomenal jazz trombonists.

Amen Greg! Thanks for remembering this!

This was my first Urbie record:

gpow-a.jpg

Yes, he did have a green trombone. That recording is pretty dated sounding now, but contains some great trombone playing. He uses the "Varitone" octave-doubling effect, the same thing Sonny Stitt dabbled with. :rolleyes:That I could've done without, especially considering his beautiful sound.

I've always liked this one a lot:

512917.jpg

Urbie was the first trombonist I heard who really blew me away.

Happy Birthday Urbie!

I don't have any Urbie Green sides, but I do have fond memories: I had a roommate in college (trombonist) who enjoyed a lot of "recreational herbs", and when he was trying to make either a sale or a purchase on the phone, the super secret code was "Hey man, do you have that new "Urbie Green" record?" I'm sure that one was tougher to crack than those WWII Navajo Code Talkers! :g

Happy Birthday, Urbie!!!

:eye::eye:

I don't have any Urbie Green sides, but I do have fond memories: I had a roommate in college (trombonist) who enjoyed a lot of "recreational herbs", and when he was trying to make either a sale or a purchase on the phone, the super secret code was "Hey man, do you have that new "Urbie Green" record?" I'm sure that one was tougher to crack than those WWII Navajo Code Talkers! :g

Happy Birthday, Urbie!!!

We used that same code in college too! Small world.

Happy Birthday to one of the world's most phenomenal jazz trombonists.

Amen Greg! Thanks for remembering this!

This was my first Urbie record:

gpow-a.jpg

Yes, he did have a green trombone. That recording is pretty dated sounding now, but contains some great trombone playing. He uses the "Varitone" octave-doubling effect, the same thing Sonny Stitt dabbled with. :rolleyes:That I could've done without, especially considering his beautiful sound.

I've always liked this one a lot:

512917.jpg

Urbie was the first trombonist I heard who really blew me away.

Happy Birthday Urbie!

Green Power was my first Urb record too. When I was in jr college, he came down to play with our band. His charts were sent ahead so we could practice them. I remember the leader asking me to read Urbie's parts. I was like "WHOA, this is some tough shit!"

Watching him live blew me away. He was in such total control of his horn. He sat on a barstool as he played. And he was so damn casual about it, allthewhile playing unbelievably hard lines!

I remember him playing on a blues, as he played a few choruses up around 1st - 3rd position. But then he started playing complete choruses using extended alternate positions, and perfectly in tune. I had never seen anyone really utilize alternates before...at least not to that degree.

I got him to autograph the inside of the Green Power jacket. I still have that record. Cheesy record? Sure it is by today's standards, but it was very cool back then.

And that other LP you scanned? WOW! I have that one too. Listening to that makes me suspect that Watrous did a lot of listening to Urbie. His ballad mastery is phenomenal; no less so than anything I heard Bill play.

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Happy Birthday, Urbie!!!

We used that same code in college too! Small world.

Greg, I'm pretty sure we went to the same college: Go, Mean Green!

Oh, great. Here we go. "You were in the One? High five, dude!"

Secret handshake, "Rocky" doorknock and all that. :rolleyes:;):g

Well, it's just that I wanted to get S.A.R. to sign my yearbook! :P

Were you living in Bruce Hall during the infamous "world's largest turd" incident?

'nuff said; I am already off topic! (sorry Urbie!)