In 150 years when we are all dead, what jazz artists will be remembere

Hardbopjazz

Immortal ranks  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They (and all the other major and minor players) will all be remembered on a daily basis. Because, unlike even a century ago we have modern, great-sounding recordings of their work.

There will be people listening to Joe Henderson and the like until the end 'o time....because, like all masterworks...it's timeless. Why are WE listening to 60's Larry Young? I mean, that's "old" stuff.

Whose going to be remebered will probably be a surpise. Look at Tina Brooks; in 1965 would anyone had said Brooks would be as popular as he's become?

Well, "popular" is a relative term. Brooks has what, maybe 5000 "diehard" fans, now at the height of his popularity?

All of the above.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I can't see one of that list being remembered without all the others too. Dan had it right, I think: We don't just remember Beethovan, but also Bach, Mozart, Brahms, Haydn and so on. Some of us even remember Schubert. (On this scale, Coltrane = Wagner.) :) I think they'd either ALL be forgotten, or all remembered.

Forget 150 years. What about 1500 years? Or 5000 years?

5000 years from now, archaelogists will find fragments of a CD and wonder if it is from a household implement of some type. There will be a tantalizing piece of one page of a book about jazz, as the only surviving remnant of the art form. The page is badly damaged, with some pieces of it missing. Using state of the art techniques from 5000 years from now, scientists will come to the best possible reconstruction of that page. They will conclude that someone known as "anle Cr" was the leading scholar of the era, and that jazz was played by a person worshipped as a god, the "alis."

The way society is going, I'd guess it would be anyone who did sensational things or lived a sensational life. So, perhaps Bird will be remembered more more his early demise and drug problems, Miles for his outrageous persona, Frank Rosolino, Lee Morgan... I just think that image will (continue to) trump contributions to the culture in Joe Six Pack's mind. That's why Joe today knows Paris Hilton, Pamela Anderson, Tommy Lee, and a host of "movie stars", but hardly anyone of cultural merit. Sorry, I'm more cynical than usual today.

Forget 150 years. What about 1500 years? Or 5000 years?

5000 years from now, archaelogists will find fragments of a CD and wonder if it is from a household implement of some type. There will be a tantalizing piece of one page of a book about jazz, as the only surviving remnant of the art form. The page is badly damaged, with some pieces of it missing. Using state of the art techniques from 5000 years from now, scientists will come to the best possible reconstruction of that page. They will conclude that someone known as "anle Cr" was the leading scholar of the era, and that jazz was played by a person worshipped as a god, the "alis."

:tup:rofl:

I am probably even more cynical today than BeBop.

Will they be remembered 150 years from now? Are they remembered well today? The entry for Brittney Spears in Wikipedia is longer than the entry on Louis Armstrong!

Of course, Wikipedia has a strong bias toward entries by people consumed with pop culture. Entries on pop culture have the same value and weight in Wikipedia as those things that have traditionally gone into an encyclopedia.

I am probably even more cynical today than BeBop.

Will they be remembered 150 years from now? Are they remembered well today? The entry for Brittney Spears in Wikipedia is longer than the entry on Louis Armstrong!

Of course, Wikipedia has a strong bias toward entries by people consumed with pop culture. Entries on pop culture have the same value and weight in Wikipedia as those things that have traditionally gone into an encyclopedia.

If Wikipedia is the standard of cultural knowledge 150 years from now, we are in deep, deep trouble.

If Wikipedia is the standard of cultural knowledge 150 years from now, we are in deep, deep trouble.

:tup

See this New Yorker article where the Wikipedia founder predicts the demise of Britannica and triumph of Wikipedia in 4-5 years. Delusions of adequacy!

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060731fa_fact

Edited by It Should be You