2006 Litchfield Jazz Festival

relyles

I was fortunate to win tickets for all three days of this year's Litchfield Jazz Festival and spent the entire weekend listening to music. With the exceptions of Dionne Warwick and Dr. John, I saw the entire lineup for this year’s festival. Overall, there was something to enjoy about just about every act.

I first went up Friday evening and caught Cyrus Chestnut’s trio. It had been over ten years since the last time I heard Chestnut live. The trio played an enjoyable straight ahead swinging set. I opted to skip Dionne Warwick to get home a little earlier and prepare myself for a full day of music on Saturday.

The first performer on Saturday was Robert Glasper’s trio with Alan Hampton on bass and drummer Damion Reid. I was looking forward to hearing Glasper live after enjoying his first disc on Fresh Sound NT and a positive reaction to his playing on other discs. I think it is tough to be the first act at noon on a Saturday before the audience has fully arrived and warmed up, but Glasper’s trio was impressive. The set focused primarily on music from their most recent Blue Note release. The energy level went up a few notches when Terrell Stafford’s quintet with Don Braden, Bruce Barth, Chris Beck and Danton Boller hit the stage. Stafford and Braden both played several impressive solos and the whole group swung hard.

Although I had heard of Trio da Paz, I had never heard any of their music. My first exposure to their brand of Brazilian Jazz was positive. One of the biggest surprises of the festival for me was Carol Sloane. I am not big on jazz vocalists, but I will confess to enjoying her set very much. She did a Duke Ellington tribute and although I have heard all the tunes thousands of times before, her performances were fresh and engaging. She is a very good performer. One of the highlights of the festival for me was Lee Konitz’s quartet with Peter Bernstein, Rufus Reid and Matt Wilson. It sounded like it took Konitz a couple of tunes to get warmed up, but the group interaction was fantastic – especially Rufus Reid and Matt Wilson. Every time I hear Wilson live he impresses me and his performance with Konitz was one of the best. Saturday ended with a predictable infectious Latin jazz performance by Eddie Palmieri that was highlighted by crowd pleading solos by Conrad Herwig and Craig Handy.

I arrived a little late Sunday, but still caught just about all of Eddie Marshall’s set. I did not hear the announcement of the band members, but I think the saxophonist may have been Dave Ellis. The rest of the band was not musicians I am familiar with. Their set consisted primarily of tunes from the jazz repertory played relatively straight ahead. Next up was Dena DeRose’s trio, which for me was a pleasant surprise. The surprise was less for DeRose’s singing, which was fine enough, but more for the group which included Matt Wilson again on drums keeping everything interesting. A little less energetic, but still very satisfying was the piano duet by Bill Charlap & Renee Rosnes. The highlight for me was a rendition of a Monk tune – I believe “Criss Cross”.

The only real disappointment for me was John Scofield’s trio with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart. I enjoyed their recording and some other stuff I have heard by them, but Scofield’s guitar distortions were a little too much for me this time around. James Moody was scheduled to perform, but he was hospitalized. In his place at the last minute the festival put together a group that featured Don Braden, Jimmy Greene, Paul Bollenback, Peter Madsen, Joris Teepe and Steve Johns. The group performed a Braden original, a James Moody tune and a couple of other tunes and was joined on several other songs by Carol Sloane. Although I was looking forward to hearing Moody, this group more than made up for the disappointment. The energy and passionate playing by everyone really brought the crowd to its feet. I thought this was a fitting end to the festival for me and decided to skip Dr. John in favor of getting home in time to watch “The 4400”.

Overall, a great weekend of music.

I was fortunate to win tickets for all three days of this year's Litchfield Jazz Festival and spent the entire weekend listening to music. With the exceptions of Dionne Warwick and Dr. John, I saw the entire lineup for this year’s festival. Overall, there was something to enjoy about just about every act.

I first went up Friday evening and caught Cyrus Chestnut’s trio. It had been over ten years since the last time I heard Chestnut live. The trio played an enjoyable straight ahead swinging set. I opted to skip Dionne Warwick to get home a little earlier and prepare myself for a full day of music on Saturday.

The first performer on Saturday was Robert Glasper’s trio with Alan Hampton on bass and drummer Damion Reid. I was looking forward to hearing Glasper live after enjoying his first disc on Fresh Sound NT and a positive reaction to his playing on other discs. I think it is tough to be the first act at noon on a Saturday before the audience has fully arrived and warmed up, but Glasper’s trio was impressive. The set focused primarily on music from their most recent Blue Note release. The energy level went up a few notches when Terrell Stafford’s quintet with Don Braden, Bruce Barth, Chris Beck and Danton Boller hit the stage. Stafford and Braden both played several impressive solos and the whole group swung hard.

Although I had heard of Trio da Paz, I had never heard any of their music. My first exposure to their brand of Brazilian Jazz was positive. One of the biggest surprises of the festival for me was Carol Sloane. I am not big on jazz vocalists, but I will confess to enjoying her set very much. She did a Duke Ellington tribute and although I have heard all the tunes thousands of times before, her performances were fresh and engaging. She is a very good performer. One of the highlights of the festival for me was Lee Konitz’s quartet with Peter Bernstein, Rufus Reid and Matt Wilson. It sounded like it took Konitz a couple of tunes to get warmed up, but the group interaction was fantastic – especially Rufus Reid and Matt Wilson. Every time I hear Wilson live he impresses me and his performance with Konitz was one of the best. Saturday ended with a predictable infectious Latin jazz performance by Eddie Palmieri that was highlighted by crowd pleading solos by Conrad Herwig and Craig Handy.

I arrived a little late Sunday, but still caught just about all of Eddie Marshall’s set. I did not hear the announcement of the band members, but I think the saxophonist may have been Dave Ellis. The rest of the band was not musicians I am familiar with. Their set consisted primarily of tunes from the jazz repertory played relatively straight ahead. Next up was Dena DeRose’s trio, which for me was a pleasant surprise. The surprise was less for DeRose’s singing, which was fine enough, but more for the group which included Matt Wilson again on drums keeping everything interesting. A little less energetic, but still very satisfying was the piano duet by Bill Charlap & Renee Rosnes. The highlight for me was a rendition of a Monk tune – I believe “Criss Cross”.

The only real disappointment for me was John Scofield’s trio with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart. I enjoyed their recording and some other stuff I have heard by them, but Scofield’s guitar distortions were a little too much for me this time around. James Moody was scheduled to perform, but he was hospitalized. In his place at the last minute the festival put together a group that featured Don Braden, Jimmy Greene, Paul Bollenback, Peter Madsen, Joris Teepe and Steve Johns. The group performed a Braden original, a James Moody tune and a couple of other tunes and was joined on several other songs by Carol Sloane. Although I was looking forward to hearing Moody, this group more than made up for the disappointment. The energy and passionate playing by everyone really brought the crowd to its feet. I thought this was a fitting end to the festival for me and decided to skip Dr. John in favor of getting home in time to watch “The 4400”.

Overall, a great weekend of music.

....and what's wrong with Moody???