Teddy Wilson Mosaic

The only criticism one could level at him (and that is definitely not criticism in my eyes), is that his technical abilities were so sharp that he could effortlessly play a number twice without a single note sounding different.

Hey, that´s the exactly opposite of Tatum: he was told not having never played a song the same way twice! ^_^

But I really dig his elegant and full of swing playing (mmilovan called him "the Bill Evans of the Big Band Era").

Hey, I like that. That's a nice way of putting it.

Well,

it's not me who put that nice description of Wilson out, but pianist Dick Katz (as transcribed by Loren Schoenberg).

Well, I must agree with all of you - Wilson really had that unbelievable technical skills never interfere with music. Don't know why people connect his playing with sterility, one can listen to Teddy's perfect harmonic and advanced sense and his ability to create non forgettable phrases. So elegant, he make everything sound easy (although it is not easy to make THAT sound).

These Mosaic discs never stopped to play in my CD, ever since I get them.

• 2 months later...

I was debating for a long time whether to order this set or not. Eventually I decided to order the Fremeaux's compilation with Wilson's recordings between 1933-1950. After listening to TW's playing on this collection, I ordered also the Mosaic set. A great player. Now I am waiting…

The Fremeaux's 2 CDs set:

f96800ron0b.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

This is an interesting discussion. I hear in Wilson's music a completeness, a resolution, even a "tidiness." His was definitely (at least in the later years) not a searching, wild chance-taking art. He basically refined and re-refined from within. I hear in his playing not a wasted note, near-perfect execution, but still plenty of good humor and humanity and warmth and just enough bluesy raunch (to borrow a phrase someone used above) to fend off sterility in the vast majority of recordings.

Wilson is one of my favorite pianists for these reasons. The Mosaic box only has a sameness on the surface; savored a little bit at a time and with careful listening attention, there is enough here for a lifetime of study. Jazz piano never got any better, just different.

Edited by DrJ

This is an interesting discussion. I hear in Wilson's music a completeness, a resolution, even a "tidiness." His was definitely (at least in the later years) not a searching, wild chance-taking art. He basically refined and re-refined from within. I hear in his playing not a wasted note, near-perfect execution, but still plenty of good humor and humanity and warmth and just enough bluesy raunch (to borrow a phrase someone used above) to fend off sterility in the vast majority of recordings.

Wilson is one of my favorite pianists for these reasons. The Mosaic box only has a sameness on the surface; savored a little bit at a time and with careful listening attention, there is enough here for a lifetime of study. Jazz piano never got any better, just different.

I think you nailed it. I waited to get this box until it hit the running low list. I regret that, as it has become one of my favorite Mosaics.