ROCK N' ROLL!

Jim Alfredson

One of my favourite "rock" tunes ever. And one of the best porta-keyboard solos ever. What doesn't he play on this tune? Jim you could pull that off, no? You still have your sax? These guys are having the time of their life (at first glance it looks like Spinal Tap though)

Now Edgar plays a Triton

139_small_2.jpg

Originally just a jam out tune for Edgar, it was revamped with the advent of the synthesizer. “‘Frankenstein’ was not even supposed to be on the album.” Edgar recalled the editing process that led to the birth of the song title. “The tape was draped over the back of the chairs and couch, and we said, here’s the main body! We were laughing about how the leg bone is connecting to the hipbone and the drummer, Chuck, said, ‘Wow, it’s like Frankenstein.’ As soon as I heard that, I was like, wow, that’s it!”

Awesome indeed! When the video started I said a little prayer that EW wouldn't pick up the saxophone. Apparently, there is no God. I think the highlight for me was when he picked up the sticks to engage in the dueling Hawaii 5-O drum fills. :P

Thanks for posting that. And yes, I vote for that entire production to make its way into the organissimo set list ASAP. :tup

Did Edgar and Johnny ever perform together?

Oh yeah. There's even a OOP album they together did for Blue Sky, called Together.

Frankenstein was originally a showcase for Edgar to join brother JWs band for encores. I'm pretty sure they did this at Woodstock, but it wasn't filmed. When Legacy reissued Second Winter, they included a 2nd disk with Live at Royal Albert Hall, 4/17/1970 that includes an early version with double drums.