Kenny Burrell's Ellington is Forever

fasstrack

I finally listened to the whole thing. (4 sides of an LP is what I have). It is wonderful. One of Kenny's shining hours and great work also by Thad Jones, Snooky Young, Mel Lewis (percussion!), Ernie Andrews, et. al. The ensembles are beautifully underplayed also. A total labor of love.

I think Paul is pointing out that the album has been discussed previously. Tradition has it that your comments (which are right on the money) belong at the end of the old thread rather than starting a new one.

For another example of why people might want to use the search function before starting a new thread, see here.

I think Paul is pointing out that the album has been discussed previously. Tradition has it that your comments (which are right on the money) belong at the end of the old thread rather than starting a new one.

For another example of why people might want to use the search function before starting a new thread, see here.

Gimme a break. What, I'm gonna search 2,000 threads to see if someone said it first?

Can we talk about Kenny and Duke, please? Anybody?

Gimme a break. What, I'm gonna search 2,000 threads to see if someone said it first?

It's not so much checking to see if anyone has "said it first", rather it's to keep all of our discussion about a particular topic generally in one thread. It makes it a helluva lot easier to go back and find previous discussions, and add to them, when there is only one thread on a particular album, rathen than 7. Probably helps keep the database a little easier to manage (for the administrators) and helps improve search times and process times, too.

I agree with Dan in that you have valid comments, and they deserve to be on the board. The placement of them belong in the existing thread on this album though, not in a new thread.

Edited by Aggie87

[

It's not so much checking to see if anyone has "said it first", rather it's to keep all of our discussion about a particular topic generally in one thread. It makes it a helluva lot easier to go back and find previous discussions, and add to them, when there is only one thread on a particular album, rathen than 7. Probably helps keep the database a little easier to manage (for the administrators) and helps improve search times and process times, too.

I agree with Dan in that you have valid comments, and they deserve to be on the board. The placement of them belong in the existing thread on this album though, not in a new thread.

Thanks, but who has time for all that? I just wanted to say something and not go through all this. I hear what you're saying BTW, but did you ever think that a topic in more than one place at once may give multiple opportunities for exposure to said topic? Just a thought.

Edited by fasstrack

Thanks, but who has time for all that? I just wanted to say something and not go through all this. I hear what you're saying BTW, but did you ever think that a topic in more than one place at once may give multiple opportunities for exposure to said topic? Just a thought.

I think with the exception of one teenage board member, most of us do searches prior to creating new threads. It's considered standard protocol/etiquette on pretty much all bulletin boards. In fact on other boards (such as the Steve Hoffmann forums, and a couple of the sports boards I check out) they tend to shut down or close new threads completely when it duplicates a previous topic.

Searching is not difficult, painful, or time consuming, either - there's a search feature at the top of the page, and you simply type in "Kenny Burrell Ellington is Forever", and it will pull up any thread in which that has been typed. Takes all of 2 seconds.

Just trying to be helpful...

Edited by Aggie87

Joel, I put that link in there so you might check out some previous comments about the side. I just wanted to let you know that many here agree that it is indeed great.

No implied message or scolding, just trying to help. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. :)

Joel, I put that link in there so you might check out some previous comments about the side. I just wanted to let you know that many here agree that it is indeed great.

No implied message or scolding, just trying to help. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. :)

And here I am. a former librarian (I swear). Impatience runs in my family. I think we all grew up in the same Ritalin test kit.

Anyway, Kenny sounded beautiful and so did all the cats. Nice versions of My Little Brown Book and excerpts from Jump For Joy. Compared to Ellington rehashes by certain, ahem, big shots today ;) this love letter by the Maestro's favorite guitarist is the real deal.