Suit Reccomendations

Well, job interview season is picking up (hopefully) and I'm in need of something that says 'Hire me'.

As of right now I have zero suits or sports coats. Im in the market for a high shcool teaching job. One problem is im almost 6'5'' so sizing can be an issue. Also, because im looking for a job im poor so i cant exactly pay top dollar.

Any recommendations on inexpensive good looking suits? Im thinking of just going the men's wearhouse route, are they any good? Hell, i might even hit up target.

Well, job interview season is picking up (hopefully) and I'm in need of something that says 'Hire me'.

As of right now I have zero suits or sports coats. Im in the market for a high shcool teaching job. One problem is im almost 6'5'' so sizing can be an issue. Also, because im looking for a job im poor so i cant exactly pay top dollar.

Any recommendations on inexpensive good looking suits? Im thinking of just going the men's wearhouse route, are they any good? Hell, i might even hit up target.

I have some experience in helping guys just like you select clothing. I owned a wardrobe selection/shopping business for years. We did presentations to sales-people, executives and people who were attempting to upgrade both their skills to further their careers. Looking appropriately dressed is not the only thing that determines if you will advance. But, as you know, it is important. First impressions are overwhelmingly telling. After all, they already have your resume. This is show and tell time.

OK. First of all, DO NOT go with polyester cheap. A 100% cool wool or light to mid-weight wool with no trendy detailing or anything that dates it would be best, and quite affordable. Darker tones are more versatile than lighter ones. If you want to go with something a little more stylish, wait til later and remember the stuff you already will have by then in the way of shirts and ties.

Your being of taller-than-average height would, I think, send you to Big 'N Tall, or similar outlet that caters to taller and bigger guys. They are not particularly expensive, very helpful and your suit will fit you.

Ask the nice man to help you pick out a tie or two, as well as a couple of shirts whose collars go well with both your face and the lines of the suit. Pay particular attention to how well the suit fits and how comfortable it is for you. You don't want to be even thinking about how you look. Do all the scutwork at home and then just get out there and concentrate on the interview, knowing that you look as fine as it is possible for you to look. Don't forget your shoes should be co-ordinated as well, good, basic oxfords, as well as polished, with neutral socks above them. No cheap jewelry, and pay attention to your general grooming.

Good luck, kiddo. :tup

Edited by patricia

Here's the real question: Where do you live? Where can you get to?

Syms is great, but their old motto says it all: an informed shopper is our best customer. In my experience, you better know what you need before you hit their doorstep. I've gotten all of my tuxes there, but not before I learned EXACTLY what I needed. Their help is there to stock and to ring you up. At least at the one I went to, they didn't seem to be there to help you through the shopping process.

If you live anywhere near an outlet mall, count your lucky stars. Brooks Brothers, Hart Schaffner Marx and Bachrach all have outlet stores out there. All three can get you phenomenal deals (just got a bachrach suit for $100), and 6'5 isn't out of the realm of possibilities (said Bachrach had double longs all over the place). Go to a GOOD tailor, and don't be afraid to spend bucks there. If you catch deals like the ones I've caught, you'll end up with a tailored Italian suit that had my co-workers going, "holy shit!" for about $150. Add to that the fact that you can buy shirts and ties there on the cheap and you can work out the following scenario:

two tailored suits: $300

five shirts: $50-100

five ties: $50-100

1 pr. black shoes: $25

1 pr. brown shoes: $25

home dry clean kit:$10

1 bottle febreeze: $3.00

$463-563

you now have a week's worth of suits, and no one will notice that you're getting by on two suits. Go to the Salvation Army and get really plain ties, and you've just saved yourself at least $45. Go to Steve & Barry's for your shirts and you've saved yourself at least $20. Shoes, you're kinda stuck with. The bottle of febreeze isn't an option either. Of course, one suit and a couple of shirts to tide you over while you're interviewing works too.

The other place to find great deals are suit banks. There are a few out there. It's like a high end clothing swap. They only take in good suits, and so they only sell good suits. Friends have gotten Tommy Hilfiger suits at the local one for under $200 out the door (including tailoring). I nailed down an Armani for $340 when I was playing with a couple of vocalists all the time. I justified it by saying that if I had to play Wave the exact same way three-four times per week, I should at least get to look good doing it. Lessor suits can be had for lesser cash. There are a couple of California designers who send their work to Taiwan to be assembled that actually make pretty damn good suits. I got one of those suits for less than $100, and for a spare, rarely use it, 5 button jacket, vest and pants, it was a great deal.

All of this said, GET THE BEST SUIT YOU CAN FOR THE MONEY!!!! Remember that shitty suits are "more expensive" in the long run because they have to get replaced more often. A classic black suit may never be cutting edge, but it'll never go out of style either, and as long as you can fit into it, you'll always have a suit. And if that suit was well made enough not to come apart at the seams after a couple of rough dry cleanings (learned this one the hard way), you'll get the money you put into that suit back out of it. At which point, that $150 bachrach outlet suit, or that $300 Brooks Brothers outlet suit might as well have been free three or four years down the line when it still looks as good as the day you bought it.

All of this is worth exactly what you paid for it.

In my former job I did a lot of hiring, everything from suit & tie sales people to grunt labor.

I would find out from other teachers what people normally wear.

Being well dressed indicates to most people that you take your work serious, although overdressing can put people off.

I would assume that a suite and tie would be overkill for a teaching gig. If for some reason you need to buy a suit, I would agree with the folks above, do not buy a cheap suit. You may or may not be able to tell the difference, but someone who wears suits on a regular basis can. Here on the west coast we have the Nordstrom Rack, which has the mark-downs and returned items at huge discounts. It is a great place to find anything from a suit or sport coat, to dress pants and some nice shoes. It looks like you are on the other coast so I don't know. I always hated the men's warehouse because they were always trying to sell me something I didn't want.

General unsolicited advise on job interview.

You are there to present yourself so be yourself, anyone who has done interviewing for any length of time can spot insincerity a mile away.

Speaking of the Men's Wearhouse, I think it's funny that over the years the guy who says "I guarantee it" has gradually said the line s l o w e r and s l o w e r. He used to say it really fast and loud, like he was on coke or something. Obviously some ad exec told him it would be classier to speak more slowly. Now it's like he's on 'ludes. I guarantee it.:)

I really don't know what you can afford to drop, but I'm inclined to side with BB on the Nordstom's rack advice. I'm big on the Faconnable line that is now owned by Nordstroms -- their shirts are quite fashionable and well made. Ditto for their slacks. The shirts typically will set you back $80-$150 but you can find some decent summer deals and I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a few on eBay.....I've done this myself a half-dozen times and been quite pleased with the product. Just make sure that the seller has been dry cleaning them. Like buying music, you want to zero in on sellers that tend to deal exclusively with clothing...not selling aquariums, motorcycle parts & sausage making equipment as well. There a number in the XXL category that are up for sale right now and I don't think you can go wrong. http://search.ebay.com/faconnable In fact, the salmon one is up in an hour: http://cgi.ebay.com/FACONNABLE-100-COTTON-...1QQcmdZViewItem

..and there's this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-FACONNABLE-LONG-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

(and this seller has several.....you could load up!)

You can also pick up some excellent Italian ties (Ermenegildo Zegna, Ferragamo, etc) for an excellent price. I was hesitant to buy used clothes on ebay...but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Speaking of the Men's Wearhouse, I think it's funny that over the years the guy who says "I guarantee it" has gradually said the line s l o w e r and s l o w e r. He used to say it really fast and loud, like he was on coke or something. Obviously some ad exec told him it would be classier to speak more slowly. Now it's like he's on 'ludes. I guarantee it.:)

I only shop at Men's Warehouse when I get soaked by a cab driving by and I need a new suit in like 15 minutes because I have to attend an important meeting. My papers and shit are still all ruined, but I look good.

Thanks for all the input. I ended with up just a blazer from Men's Wearhouse, because I need something for tomorrow. Ill definitely spend a little more time on buying a full suit. Of course, my actual teaching attire will be much more relaxed, so if all goes well tomorrow i may never need a suit.

dare to dream

Edited by md655321

is it ok to do nice black pants, nice new black shoes/socks, dress shirt/work shirt with nice stripes, w/ a nice conservative 80s yuppie tie-- is that ok too or do is the customized suit really the clincher.

Really depends where you're located. So. Ca is going to have a different dress code than DC but you can't go wrong with a suit. If you're talking about a conservative 80's tie, you're referring to the classic looking striped rep tie a la Brooks Brothers, yes? Sure, that still works...but don't go nutso with the stripes on stripes combo....best to go with a solid color Oxford shirt. Then again, out there on the left coast, you might do better with this one! SBCH4H.jpg I'd be shot on sight wearing it! Maybe Orin Hatch could get away with it. :rolleyes:

Actually, if MD's up for a high school teaching position, the correct spelling of 'recommendations' might be more important than the shirt & tie combo. :cool::w

Excellent point. However, even more important is getting a social studies teaching position where i can push my radical leftist ideology on unassuming youths. :D:ph34r:

I just sent another board member a PM mentioning a DVD ('A Very British Coup') the wife & I watched last night. Maybe you can show that one on the first day of class and get 'em all ginned up?

I'll be the large, slightly hunched over kid sitting in the back row of the classroom with the Bob Dole mask on .....keeping an eye on you and demanding that you have the class read "Atlas Shrugged.' icon10.gif

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

• 5 weeks later...