Mel Gibson drinks truth juice

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need to stop this EU vs US rivalry

No way!!! We've been playing by trade 'rules' that were more suited to the immediate post-WWII era and our ever cautious weenies at the State Dept. have helped keep us in 'chains'......now it's time to go to work & squeeze the pip, mate! :P

Oh, sorry....you were referring to rivalry on this board. :blush::cool:

Gibson's second apology in the case came as inTouch Weekly published pictures it said were from the night of the arrest. According to The Associated Press, witnesses said Gibson had been drinking at a Malibu beachfront restaurant called Moonshadows before his car was stopped.

story.gibson.itw.jpg

story.gibson1.itw.jpg

story.gibson2.itw.jpg

story.gibson3.itw.jpg

Gibson's second apology in the case came as inTouch Weekly published pictures it said were from the night of the arrest. According to The Associated Press, witnesses said Gibson had been drinking at a Malibu beachfront restaurant called Moonshadows before his car was stopped.

story.gibson.itw.jpg

story.gibson1.itw.jpg

story.gibson2.itw.jpg

story.gibson3.itw.jpg

Hey barkeep. Hic. Gimme another boll. Girls! You wanna hug from a drunk supastah? Get over here! Hey burkeep...hic. Gimme nother bottle! One more for the road! Hic. I'm outta here! Hic. :bad:

Reminds me of Rush Limburger. "I'm not a racist.....but." "I'm not a hypocrite...but." He's worried about the "bottom line". $$$$$

Mel Gibson Seeks Forgiveness From Jews

By ALLISON HOPE WEINER

Published: August 2, 2006

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 1 — Faced with growing outrage over his anti-Semitic remarks when arrested last week, Mel Gibson offered a second apology, this time specifically imploring the forgiveness of Jews and asking for meetings with Jewish leaders who might help him find “the appropriate path for healing.”

The statement, issued on Tuesday, followed an earlier apology that acknowledged “despicable” remarks, but never specifically mentioned their anti-Jewish tenor.

“There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark,” Mr. Gibson said in Tuesday’s statement.

He continued, in part: “I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a D.U.I. charge. I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena.”

Mr. Gibson went on to say he wished “to take it one step further, and meet with Jewish leaders” for a “one-on-one discussion.”

This latest apology was greeted with cautious optimism by some Jews who had harshly admonished Mr. Gibson only days before upon learning that he had berated Jews in an obscene tirade after his arrest on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol early on Friday morning.

“This is finally an apology,” said Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League. “We’re glad that he owned up that what he said was not only offensive, but bigoted. When he’s finished with alcohol rehabilitation, we will be ready and willing to meet with him and to help him get rid of his other addiction, which is prejudice.”

Rabbi Marvin Hier, founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center here, also offered to meet with Mr. Gibson, but cautioned in a statement that, like substance abuse and alcoholism, anti-Semitism “cannot be cured in one day and certainly not through a press release.”

On Monday the Walt Disney Company said it was dropping plans to develop a Holocaust-themed mini-series in collaboration with Mr. Gibson, who had been criticized by some who found anti-Semitic overtones in his hit movie “The Passion of the Christ.” A Disney spokeswoman did not connect the project’s termination to Mr. Gibson’s remarks. But Rabbi Hier and others had already suggested publicly that Mr. Gibson’s outburst should disqualify him from the project.

Since his arrest, Mr. Gibson’s representatives have repeatedly said he was not yet prepared to discuss the events publicly.

In a phone interview on Tuesday, however, Mr. Gibson’s longtime agent, Ed Limato of International Creative Management, described Mr. Gibson as “embarrassed and ashamed,” and said: “He obviously has a problem, and he’s doing everything he can to make amends. The other night was inexcusable.”

At the same time, Mr. Limato strongly rebuked some competitors, who, he said, were openly assailing Mr. Gibson after having tried and failed to woo him from I.C.M.

“For some people in my business to publicly try to destroy Mel Gibson because of this incident the other night I find very hypocritical,” he said, “since I know one or two, who even after ‘The Passion of the Christ’ have been calling Mr. Gibson and trying to entice him to their agency as a client weekly.”

Mr. Limato declined to identify any agents. Ariel Emanuel, a partner in the Endeavor agency, has been among Mr. Gibson’s most pointed critics in Hollywood in the last few days, using the huffingtonpost.com Web site on Sunday to call on Hollywood to refuse to work with Mr. Gibson.

“At a time of escalating tensions in the world, the entertainment industry cannot idly stand by and allow Mel Gibson to get away with such tragically inflammatory statements,” Mr. Emanuel wrote. “Now we know the truth. And no amount of publicist-approved contrition can paper it over.”

Mr. Emanuel declined through a spokesman to be interviewed about Mr. Gibson’s new statement.

Mr. Limato said he could not yet tell how the incident would affect Mr. Gibson’s professional future. “These are difficult times, and it’s too early to tell what the repercussions will be,” he said. “I hope there won’t be any.”

Richard Donner, who directed Mr. Gibson in the hugely profitable “Lethal Weapon” films, said he had never heard the actor speak an anti-Semitic word. “In all of us there are seeds that have been implanted by others,” Mr. Donner said. “He’s crying out for help.”

Donna Dubrow, a veteran film producer who has been collaborating with Mr. Gibson to develop “Lady Gold,” a detective drama, said she believed his expressions of regret were genuine. “My experience with him in the past is when he says something, he does it,” she said.

I don't know boys...just started reading all this, a lot of in-fighting here for Organissimo, a lot of bitterness toward Mel -- I think we have to all get along. To quote the words of Lenny Bruce: " We need to get together - black and white, Jew and Gentile... we need to all get together - and beat up the Greeks."

He wasn't too worried about the Jews when it came to the Passion of the Christ so I'm not sure he's concerned about the bottom line that much.

I hear you. I just meant "bottom line" in terms of his career - which is in serious trouble.

I got stopped by the cops last night in DC and the first thing I asked him was 'are you a jew?' Doesn't everyone do that? :rolleyes:

... at least in NYC you don't have to ask. :rolleyes:

front071006.gif

Is he one of the dudes they're talking about in this article?? :cool:

Future of Orthodox Jewish Vote Has Implications for GOP

Small but Growing Group Receptive to Republican Ideas

By Jim VandeHei

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 3, 2006; Page A06

Republicans are hoping a strong defense of Israel translates into greater support among Jewish voters this fall, but the biggest political benefits are likely to come long after the 2006 campaign concludes, according to political and demographic experts studying Jewish voting trends.

The Jewish group proving most receptive to Republican overtures over the past decade is among the smallest: Orthodox Jews. Right now, they account for roughly 10 percent of the estimated 5.3 million Jews in the United States, hardly enough to tip most elections.

This is likely to change significantly in the years ahead because Orthodox Jews are the fastest-growing segment of the Jewish population, raising the possibility that one of the most reliable Democratic voting blocs will be increasingly in play in future elections, according to surveys of Jewish voting and religious and social habits.

"The likelihood is there will be a very quick jump in the................................................

Reason #1,731 why I'm a liberal instead of a conservative--I'm more than happy to take Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert over Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera. Via Media Matters, O'Reilly and Rivera's take on why Mel's getting pilloried in the media is a much greater "evil" than Mel's anti-Semitic remarks:

O'Reilly blasts "smear merchants" and "vampires" criticizing Mel Gibson; Rivera smears Olbermann, Stewart, and Colbert

Summary: On his Fox News program, Bill O'Reilly called Mel Gibson's recent anti-Semitic comments "inexcusable," but said it is "more important" to discuss the "point where the media and individual Americans start to enjoy the suffering of rich and powerful people." Guest Geraldo Rivera later suggested that O'Reilly refer to "that schmuck from MSNBC," apparently MSNBC host Keith Olbermann; Rivera added that the "schmuck from MSNBC" is a "lowlife." Rivera also asserted that Comedy Central hosts Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert "make a living putting on video of old ladies slipping on ice and people laughing" and that they "exist in a small little place where they count for nothing."

During a discussion on the August 2 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor with Geraldo at Large host and former Fox News correspondent Geraldo Rivera, Bill O'Reilly stated that the anti-Semitic remarks Mel Gibson made following his July 28 arrest were "inexcusable," but that it is "more important" to discuss the "point where the media and individual Americans start to enjoy the suffering of rich and powerful people." O'Reilly declared that media figures who have criticized Gibson's remarks are "smear merchants" who have "blood all over their mouth, these vampires," and also targeted the "corporate masters" behind them, who are "the truly evil people." In keeping with O'Reilly's refusal to mention by name certain people O'Reilly dislikes because doing so gives them "more publicity," Rivera suggested O'Reilly refer to one in particular -- presumably MSNBC host Keith Olbermann, who has repeatedly given O'Reilly his nightly "Worst Person in the World" award -- as "that schmuck from MSNBC," adding that the "schmuck from MSNBC" is a "lowlife." Later, Rivera did use names, asserting that Comedy Central hosts Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert "make a living putting on video of old ladies slipping on ice and people laughing" and that they "exist in a small little place where they count for nothing."

From the August 2 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:

O'REILLY: Thanks for staying with us. I'm Bill O'Reilly.

In the "Personal Story" segment tonight, I hesitate to do yet another story on Mel Gibson. I mean, the guy's been pounded into pudding. But Geraldo does have some thoughts. And here's the star of the syndicated program Geraldo at Large.

I think it's sadistic now. I think it's crossed the line. I should mention the networks, but I'm not going to do it tonight. There are certain people who, you know, know they can get a number just beating the living daylights out of this guy. I think the points have been made. And it's into the sadistic area. Am I wrong?

RIVERA: Well, I don't know. First of all, here's the complaint. First-time seen on TV. Three-count misdemeanor complaint. He faces up to six months in prison.

[...]

RIVERA: But I wanted to tell you that what he did was so far out of line. And now these misdemeanor complaints, these, all right. I know you don't want to beat the guy up. But he's facing six months. He's going to do a day or two if he does any time at all.

O'REILLY: Community service.

RIVERA: But remember, he tried to run away and resisted arrest. If he was a gangbanger or a, you know, a guy from -- that wasn't such a big macher over there, believe me, he would not have just been charged with these three misdemeanors.

O'REILLY: Maybe, maybe not. A lot of people get cut slack. It just depends on what's going on.

But here's the deal. And I think this is more important than -- look, everybody can make up their own mind, as you said. And I agree with you 100 percent, how you're going to look at Mel Gibson. Not my job to tell you. Not your job to tell. Everybody in America, they're smart enough to make their own mind up. Nobody can make an excuse for what he did. It's inexcusable, OK? No excuses made. That point is on the record.

But there comes a point where the media and individual Americans start to enjoy the suffering of rich and powerful people.

RIVERA: I agree, I agree.

O'REILLY: All right? They wallow in it. They can't get enough of it. They've got blood all over their mouth, these vampires, OK? They're in the media, these people. This is what they live for.

That's wrong. It's morally wrong. It's maybe not as bad as what Gibson did, but it's approaching that. Because there comes a point where every human being does stuff wrong. Everyone. We all do wrong things.

RIVERA: Agreed.

O'REILLY: And anybody celebrating your suffering is a bad person.

RIVERA: I agree with you, but we have to live with the harsh reality of the fact that we exist in a public arena, where every action that we take is exaggerated and exacerbated by the people who don't like us.

O'REILLY: That doesn't give the people celebrating our suffering a pass.

RIVERA: But would you have these people to your house? What do I give a damn about these cable people who talk about you or me or Mel Gibson? What do they mean to us?

O'REILLY: But we've had this argument before.

RIVERA: But they mean nothing.

O'REILLY: You're right.

RIVERA: They can't even get a rating.

O'REILLY: You're right. But the power brokers --

RIVERA: So who's winning this battle? Who's winning this battle?

O'REILLY: Hold it. But it goes further than that. They mean nothing. They're smear merchants, and they always get theirs. But there's a powerful corporation behind them. And it's a corporation that allows its airways, paid for by all of us, to be abused.

RIVERA: The problem with that train of thought, as righteous as it may be, and I didn't say self-righteous because I think it is righteous. It doesn't do any good. You live in a reality where --

O'REILLY: I think we should call these people out. I think we should call these people out.

RIVERA: Then call them by name, then.

O'REILLY: No.

RIVERA: Then don't, then don't --

O'REILLY: Because then you give them more publicity.

RIVERA: Then just say, "It's that schmuck from MSNBC who's doing that," and call him that.

O'REILLY: No, you go after the masters.

RIVERA: He's a lowlife --

O'REILLY: It's like going after the rappers. You don't go after the rappers. You go after the masters.

RIVERA: Don't forgive Mel Gibson for what he said --

O'REILLY: I'm not forgiving anything!

RIVERA: -- because of the media. Don't. Don't let him slide.

O'REILLY: It has no -- I'm not letting him slide. I was very tough on him.

[...]

O'REILLY: I want to get this clear. Nobody will be allowed to apologize for Mel Gibson except Mel Gibson on this program.

RIVERA: I'd like to watch that episode.

O'REILLY: OK, OK. That won't happen. But I'll tell you this. You need to think about it, and so does everybody else. These corporate masters that have allowed our society to degenerate into a society that rejoices when this stuff happens and makes money from it, these are the truly evil people.

Last word.

RIVERA: You know, Comedy Central is now a big hit, Stewart and the Colbert guy.

O'REILLY: Yeah, they do OK. They do OK.

RIVERA: They make a living putting on video of old ladies slipping on ice and people laughing. That's their life. That's their life. They exist in a small little place where they count for nothing. The history will be made by those who have affirmative thoughts, who make, you know, innovative suggestions in life and are inclusive.

O'REILLY: All right. I'm going to cry. "The Philosophy of Geraldo." "The Tao of Geraldo." I can see the new book.

Guest sailor

There is a reason for the Miranda warning:

"You have the right to remain silent. If you give up that right, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." Do not forget this.

Edited by sailor

• 5 months later...