Help with the New Wave band "Japan"

Rooster_Ties

My wife and I both were in high-school in the 80's (me graduating in '87, and her in '86), so there's an automatic fondness for more "New Wave" pop-music in our household, than I probably care to admit to.

Going back now, and looking for bands and albums I missed the first time - I just stumbled on the british band "Japan" for the first time today.

Where should I start?? The AMG would seem to indicate any of these three...

1979 - "Quiet Life" (Caroline)

1980 - "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" (Blue Plate)

1981 - "Tin Drum" (Blue Plate)

Are there any good compliations available?? ("Greatest Hits" packages?? - or maybe a good 2CD set with deeper album cuts too??) There are several comps listed in the AMG, but it's a little hard to tell what's what.

( And searching for music by a band called "Japan" is like next to impossible to do on eBay, let me tell you. There are like 4-million hits on the search key "Japan", even when just used in the 'title', and not the 'description'. )

I used to really enjoy "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" back in the 80's. I haven't heard it in years, so I don't know if I'd still like it.

I don't know if you've explored David Sylvian's (the singer of Japan) solo work. His album "Secrets of the Beehive" is a beautiful record. I like it more than any of the stuff that Japan did.

Good luck!

:rsmile:

Thanks Rooster!

I hope you like the David Sylvian. See if you can hear the song "Orpheus" - that's my favorite. I like his solo stuff a lot more than Japan. If you like Sylvian and Japan, check out Sylvians solo album "Gone to Earth" - To me it was his most Japan-like solo record and it also featured the bassist of Japan on it.

:rsmile:

I have a nice 2 LP set entitled EXORCISING GHOSTS, from 1984 (UK import, Virgin Records). Material from 1979-83, the "moody years." Here's what All Music Guide says: "It's not a true career overview, and given that the band only released two albums during its stint on Virgin, a collection that includes at least half of each of those efforts is ultimately a strange exercise in superfluity. That all said, though, if one needs to have a useful enough starting point for what made Japan so great, Exorcising Ghosts is a reasonable way to start. The emphasis is entirely on the moody, melancholic but energetic phase of Japan's career — there's nothing earlier than a couple of cuts from Quiet Life, and any hint of the band's trash glam rock start is carefully and quietly ignored. Tasteful is the word here instead, and, to be sure, the album cover and design, a beautifully striking effort from regular Sylvian artistic partner Russell Mills, is one of the best ever done. Sylvian himself oversaw the compilation, which leads to an important note: if there's a version of the album to get, appropriately enough it's the Japanese one. As the collection was apparently meant to be geared towards the band's namesake country first and foremost, that version includes a slew of extra tracks that create not only a better picture of the band's work, but provides more rarities of interest to fans. Besides such wonderful album cuts as "Swing" and "Sons of Pioneers," other Japanese-only songs include the single version of "Taking Islands in Africa," which features co-writer Ryuchi Sakomoto actually performing on the track, and which has otherwise not yet appeared on an album. Still, the stripped down U.K. edition does have a couple of less familiar takes: the 12" version of "The Art of Parties" and a take on "Talking Drum" which has different opening drums. — Ned Raggett"

Incidentally, the UK version I have DOES have all those extras, so I don't know exactly what Raggett is talking about. Maybe this was some initial-run special in the UK, I don't know.

Anyway, I would highly recommend this - honestly I think this would be about all the Japan you'd need. They're wonderfully evocative and inventive, but after a while it all sort of starts to sound the same, and you long for something a little more edgy and in your face.

Yeah, the Virgin double LP is the way to go, I either still own that or I traded it away, can't remember. I also agree that most of Slyvian's best work came after he left (broke up) the band. Still though, the album Rain Tree Crow contains all of the original members and is a might fine release. You can hardly go wrong with David Sylvian though...that voice is golden!!!

Not to completely sidetrack this thread, but former Japan keyboardist Richard Barbieri is now in Porcupine Tree, which is one of my favorite contemporary "progressive" rock groups. A different style of music than Japan, but they're very good at what they do, and they've definitely evolved since their early, Floydian influenced sound. Their most recent album, In Absentia, is heavier sounding (like Tool maybe), but I'd recommend anything from their '99 album "Stupid Dream" on, for anyone interested in this type of music.

I'm a HUGE JAPAN fan! Been listening to them for about 20 yrs now and still going. I would recommend almost everything that was put out, even though the first 2 LPs are quite different than their later material. ADOLESCENT SEX is quite good and the song, "Rhodesia" is phenomenal off their second LP, OBSCURE ALTERNATIVES.

For some great David Sylvian, check out his "First Day" LP with Robert Fripp and some of his work with Yellow Magic Orchestra's R Sakamoto (not going to attempt the first name), especially the song, "Forbidden Colours."

JAPAN ROCKS! Have a great JAPAN shirt (reissue?) that I got from a vintage store 'round here in NJ....

Edited by tjluke68

Not to completely sidetrack this thread, but former Japan keyboardist Richard Barbieri is now in Porcupine Tree, which is one of my favorite contemporary "progressive" rock groups. A different style of music than Japan, but they're very good at what they do, and they've definitely evolved since their early, Floydian influenced sound. Their most recent album, In Absentia, is heavier sounding (like Tool maybe), but I'd recommend anything from their '99 album "Stupid Dream" on, for anyone interested in this type of music.

Ah, I just saw Porcupine Tree at Irving Plaza last month. A great set! Steve Wilson is a genius, and the band is really tight. I would recommend all their material from Up the Downstairs on.