Quick checking a bunch of OJCs

Chuck Nessa

After hearing Sonny's Worktime as a K2 I upgraded all of my Sonnys, and I'm not an automatic upgrader. Glad I did. Also glad I forgot to upgrade one, so I could do so for just $2.98! :cool:

I'm pretty sure Claude has a post somewhere on the one or 2 K2s that failed to impress him. Hopefully he'll pop in.

The Bags and Wes K2 is outstanding--a nice big soundstage. Same with the MJQ's Django.

I don't really understand why they're closing out many of the K2s. Are we going to get yet another remastered version of these classics?

Another :tup for the Bags and Wes K2 - an outstanding sounding disc, indeed. Don't miss the Mulligan and Monk, either. One of my favorites!

Edited by street singer

The Bags and Wes K2 is outstanding--a nice big soundstage. Same with the MJQ's Django.

I don't really understand why they're closing out many of the K2s. Are we going to get yet another remastered version of these classics?

Another :tup for the Bags and Wes K2 - an outstanding sounding disc, indeed. Don't miss the Mulligan and Monk, either. One of my favorites!

A third vote for the the Bags & Wes disc, beautiful music beautifully presented. Also, the Chets are wonderful, well worth the upgrade.

But then, what do I know? I'm just an idiot who doesn't own Monk's Music. :P

All the K2's I have heard sound very good, except one that sounds as if it was maximised, the bass (the instrument) sounds boomy. It's the recent Thelonious Monk "Plays Duke Ellington" K2 reissue.

The ones I recommend most are the two Dolphy K2s (Far Cry and Five Spot 1), they sound much better balanced tonally than the overly bright and thin Dolphy Prestige box. I haven't heard the individual OJCs of these albums.

Other K2s I have and can recommend:

- Bill Evans - Explorations

- Bill Evans - New Jazz conceptions

- Art Pepper - Winter Moon

- Cannonball Adderley - In New York

- Chet Baker - Plays The Best of Lerner & Loewe

- Jackie McLean - 4, 5 and 6

- John Coltrane - Coltrane

- Kenny Burrell - Burrell & Coltrane

- Miles Davis And The Modern Jazz Giants

- Miles Davis - Walkin'

- Sonny Rollins - Tenor Madness

- Sonny Rollins - Worktime

- Thelonious Monk - Misterioso

- Thelonious Monk - Monk himself

Difficult to say if these are "must haves". There is definitively an improvement over the OJCs, but it's not that spectacular. (no "Monk's Music" effect :) )

Where a DCC reissue exists, it is usually the best sounding digital version, beats also the Analogue Productions, MFSL or Fantasy SACDs (played in hi-rez).

Edited by Claude

NOW I get what this thread's about. What clearance sale please?

MG

Concord Music Group Summer Blowout Sale (United States residents only)

US residents only! Downright effin' cheek!

(Well, at least I didn't waste any money by ordering a couple from CD Uni this morning.)

MG

(Always look on the effin' bright side!)

Edit - Sorry - Thanks Hans

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I bet they all will be redone by RVG - even though he didn't engineer the Riversides, and since Jack Hioggins' and Ray Fowler's sound concepts were totally different from Rudy's I'd rather not want to see this.

I really really really doubt these are all going to be represented as RVGs. I think the RVGs WILL be RVG recorded material, OR disc-recorded early sessions of Prestige that he puts his touch to (and I hope so, as he does fabulously remastering these earliest sides).

Just my guts telling me that this is what RVG and Concord intend.