My Dad's Questionable Musical Taste

Alexander

I'm sure my son looks askance at my jazz tastes. Who knows? Maybe by osmosis he'll get it. My parents like to listen to a lot of classical but also a lot of show tunes, stuff that forms the basis for a lot of standards so by osmosis I got it.

Yeah, my dad went through that Bob James-Earl Klugh period, and still Cassandra Wilson and Diana Krall creep in every now and then, but I think we're neck-and-neck in the Jackie Mc department. The classic piano trio is his preferred format (he's a pianist, though shoulder problems have curtailed his playing), but over the past several years he's become more and more into hardbop, which I think is great.

No jazz in our house. My mom loved opera, Joan Baez, Roberta Flack & Judy Collins. Dad liked the Clancy Bros. (he's from Ulster), Pete Seeger, and the Chad Mitchell Trio. They bought a few John Denver albums by way of the Chad Mitchell Trio, as John replaced Chad after his pot bust (I think that's how it worked.) They got into the Beatles by Abbey Road & Hey Jude, which I played on the console stereo as a 6 year old. Fiddler On The Roof, Camelot, and My Fair Lady got a lot of spins.

Long ago I plucked a few from their collection that they probably only played once or twice. They bought Dylan's The Times They Are A Changing but didn't like his voice. (They preferred Peter Paul & Mary's versions.) Bought the Kinks Arthur for the subtitle (The Decline & Fall of the British Empire) but must not have liked it. Also Johnny Cash's Ride This Train which I don't recall them ever playing it.

Now they seem to play nothing but Irish tenor John McDermott. Lemme tell ya, there are some mighty sappy arrangements on those songs, oof! On my last visit while driving around on a day trip one of his discs was going around for the 3rd time. I was about losing my mind and asked "why not put in something else." In went another McDermott. :wacko::lol:

But the greatest musical gift from dear old dad - Tom Lehrer. Thanks dad!

I remember my dad playing Brubeck, Cannonball, Ramsey Lewis, and Getz when I was young. A lot of Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert, too. :huh:

His tastes have mellowed quite a bit over the years -- the Rippingtons and Spyro Gyra are now representative.

I recently loaned him Herbie's "Maiden Voyage" and "Empyrean Isles". He said it was interesting, but there was "too much going on". Good thing I didn't loan him my copy of Ascension!

But the greatest musical gift from dear old dad - Tom Lehrer. Thanks dad!

Yeah! I got into my dad's comedy albums when I was young and played them to death! I memorized every Bill Cosby routine off of those great 60s LPs. I also loved the Tom Lehrer he had (and I now have). He also had some Bob Newhart, Smothers Brothers, and Mel Brooks LPs (the 2000 year-old-man material with Carl Reiner). Hilarous!

Funny how comedy used to really well represented on LP. I know they still sell comedy on CD, but do people buy them? I know my daughter thinks it's a little odd when I sit down to listen to a Monty Python album ("Matching Tie and Hankerchief," which I have on CD)...

Yeah! I got into my dad's comedy albums when I was young and played them to death! I memorized every Bill Cosby routine off of those great 60s LPs. I also loved the Tom Lehrer he had (and I now have). He also had some Bob Newhart, Smothers Brothers, and Mel Brooks LPs (the 2000 year-old-man material with Carl Reiner). Hilarous!

Cosby's "The Chicken Heart". I think it was on his LP, "Wonderfulness". I loved the way it was funny but it also brough back all those scary memories from when you were a kid. Great stuff.

Up over and out.

I got a lot of my musical education from my father. He's the one who introduced me to the Beatles, Dylan, Paul Simon, and others when I was a kid. To this day, the music that I heard around the house (especially rock) continues to have repercussions through my own musical interests.

Which brings me to his questionable taste in jazz. A few years ago, I inherited my father's LP collection (he's still alive and everything, he just doesn't have a record player any more and I do have one). Aside from the rock LPs I grew up loving (most of which I now own on CD anyway), he had several jazz LPs that well...kind of suck. Even the ones by artists like Bobby Hutcherson or George Benson, who are generally reliable, are pretty much the worst albums these artists have cut. I've looked them up. Most of them are out of print on CD, and listening to them you can really see why. These are minor, minor efforts. Most of them are a kind of weak brand of fusion (my dad was into Spyro Gyra when they were a local band in Buffalo). I just don't understand what was going through his head when he bought them. I seems as though he was just buying things at random. I don't know. He rarely has more than one album by a given artist, and when he does its just embayourassing (LOTS of Grover Washington). I dunno. Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy. I do plan on listening to all of these LPs one of these days, but the ones I've heard so far are just so...bad. I'm hoping I'll find a gem or two to sort of rehabilitate my musical opinion of the guy. I mean, some of these albums are really BAD. Where's all the Monk? The Miles? The Trane? He was alive when these guys were releasing new stuff! Why wasn't he buying it?

In addition, the sole Chicago album in my dad's collection was "Hot Streets." Not "Chicago Transit Authority" or "Chicago II," or even "Chicago V." No, just "Hot Streets." I shake my head in befuddled wonder...

My old man was a Brubeck and Stan Getz guy. After that, lots and lots of Hank Jr., Lefty Frizell, George Jones, Conway Twitty, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash and Elvis. And when comedy, Newhart.