The Great Black Way

Subtitle: LA in the 1940s and the Lost African American Renassaisance

Now that I made you look.... :g

For some reason my addled brain read mention of this book on these pages (tried in vain to find the thread) and I purchased it thinking it was about the cats on Central Ave. in the 40s. It is decidedly not, though mention is made of people like Art Farmer, Dexter and Wardell, Bird, Tatum, etc.

It is a well-written and researched cultural history of black communities in LA in the 40s. It offers nicely rendered fleshings-out of Eddie Anderson, Pigmeat Markham, the NAACP's John Kinloch, the war effort, and even the Late Hadda Brooks (who I had the pleasure of working with). I've enjoyed what I read, the prose is not heavy-handed and moves at a nice clip, but not enough to keep it because it's not primarily about the music scene.

Here's the deal: I have this book less than one day and barely cracked it. I bought it at a local bookstore because I wanted to support a small local business and the owner I thought was a mensch. Because it was a special order they are refusing to to give me a refund or even store credit. (Very smart to be penny-wise and lose a customer). So the cover price is $26.95. I paid almost $30 all told. If anyone is interested in this brand spanking new book PM me and make me an offer (money only, no books, records or marriage proposals unless you can afford to keep me in the style to which I'll make sure to get accustomed to). Postage much be paid at your end. I want to get as close as possible to the dough I'm out. If not, the hell with it, I'll keep it as it's a fine book.

Edited by fasstrack

Since I had no takers I kept it (not unlike a person who can't get laid and cuts losses by declaring celibacy).

The good news: It's a wonderful book. R.J. Smith is a conversational writer, a rare gift for a historian. This book is full of love for its subject and fleshes it out in little vignettes, oral histories, and themes developed and enlarged over its expanse. I could not recommend it more highly.

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by fasstrack