Wish me luck on my debut leader CD

fasstrack

A bit late, but I hope all went well, Joel.

Hey, Paul. Yes, it went beautifully, with a cast of troupers. I'm about a little more than half finished but some nice things are in the can. We didn't miss a beat and took care of business. More later, when I finish. Thanks everyone.

A bit late, but I hope all went well, Joel.

Hey, Paul. Yes, it went beautifully, with a cast of troupers. I'm about a little more than half finished but some nice things are in the can. We didn't miss a beat and took care of business. More later, when I finish. Thanks everyone.

Very exciting!!! :tup

"Singer" tell me to stay away. Rely on your playing. "Singers" also spell "lame debut" to me. Count your blessings.

Too many times an "artist" tries too many things on a debut release. Rely on "your" talent.

I hear you but disagree, Chuck, because I write songs and this one is a ballad with a lyric I wrote (with good suggestions from my friend Frank Reilly which I used). It's gotten a positive reaction from musicians and singers far older and wiser than me, non-musical people who heard the demo, and audiences. Ultimately I like it, and I'll live with the consequences regardless.

I also have a piece I want to do that's completely composed, not a note of jazz in it, and in 4/8. I have a wide range of interests and know some terrific musicians who are willing to go along for the ride, so why not? The unifying theme in the artists I most admire and my own playing and writing such as they are is a love of melody, human feeling, and storytelling. I also like music that makes me move my body. Some people call that swing. :g If something doesn't seem like it fits in on one project I'll leave it in the can til it does. The mistake people make is not recording music. It's putting it all together on any release, 1st or 100th, in a way where it makes no musical, dramatic, or logical sense. But I've found that the Boy Scouts were right: be prepared. Bring more than you need and get it down. You can always use it later.

Finally, I love good songs and good singers as much as good players. My attitude playing before the public is not "check out my far-out version of this song. Ain't I a creative MF?", it's "Isn't this a great song? I want to play it for you."

Edited by fasstrack

"Singer" tell me to stay away. Rely on your playing. "Singers" also spell "lame debut" to me. Count your blessings.

Too many times an "artist" tries too many things on a debut release. Rely on "your" talent.

I hear you but disagree, Chuck, because I write songs and this one is a ballad with a lyric I wrote (with good suggestions from my friend Frank Reilly which I used). It's gotten a positive reaction from musicians and singers far older and wiser than me, non-musical people who heard the demo, and audiences. Ultimately I like it, and I'll live with the consequences regardless.

I also have a piece I want to do that's completely composed, not a note of jazz in it, and in 4/8. I have a wide range of interests and know some terrific musicians who are willing to go along for the ride, so why not? The unifying theme in the artists I most admire and my own playing and writing such as they are is a love of melody, human feeling, and storytelling. I also like music that makes me move my body. Some people call that swing. :g If something doesn't seem like it fits in on one project I'll leave it in the can til it does. The mistake people make is not recording music. It's putting it all together on any release, 1st or 100th, in a way where it makes no musical, dramatic, or logical sense. But I've found that the Boy Scouts were right: be prepared. Bring more than you need and get it down. You can always use it later.

Finally, I love good songs and good singers as much as good players. My attitude playing before the public is not "check out my far-out version of this song. Ain't I a creative MF?", it's "Isn't this a great song? I want to play it for you."

Good on ya.

MG