Happy 23rd Anniversary, Brenda

We had our romantic getaway over the weekend, but today is our actual anniversary, so let me tell you (and the world, because I can't keep this to myself) once more what is in my heart. The way our love continues to unfold and surprise us both is the biggest thrill I have in life. Like our mutual inspiration Monday sang, "I've been given a chance to love you". Sometimes we've taken that chance for granted, and nothing good has come from that.

But more often than not (and never more than now), we've seized that chance and ran with it. Never have I felt such a passion and lust for life as I do now, and you are the source of it (and the reward for it). And I know that you feel the same - there's no other explanation for what's been going on between us lately. Why else can we look at each other for an instant and suddenly bust out laughing like a couple of schoolkids other than the sheer delerious joy of being totally in love?

We're at the age when so many of our peers talk about passion like it's a game for young folks. I think they've just given up. Or out. Or both. Because we're not even remotely "young" any more, at least not in terms of the calendar, and our passion burns stronger now than ever. Stronger and wiser.

Is there any doubt that our life together has been a gift, a blessing, a thing that we could have easily lost to carelessness, apathy, or just plain deadness of the soul?

We have been given a chance (many chances, actually, more than we probably have deserved), and now more than ever, the life-affirming joy that comes from surrendering without question to the all-consuming, all-inspiring power of love is apparent to us both.

I carry you in my heart everywhere I go, in everything I do. I live with you, by you, and for you. I might be "me" by myself, but I could never be me without us. Two have indeed become one.

I have been given a chance to love you, and I pray that I take that chance with every drop of life in me until death us do part.

I'd be a damned fool not to.

Jim, Brenda, the best of all possible realities to you both! I'm in a happy and challenging and fulfililng relationship myself that gets stronger the more it breathes. . . and I wouldn't want to be otherwise. Congratulations and keep on keepin' on!