Hutcherson 'Live at Montreux'

Guest akanalog

really?

i never liked this one.

granted, i was dumb to sell my CD of it for like 15 bucks, but it never did it for me.

i think i wasn't feeling the rhythm section. didn't seem to bring the heat.

certainly like many other hutchersons more....

Guest akanalog

thank you, chuck.

i guess.

but in all seriousness, maybe it is just the live recording doesn't do bernard, drummond and hancock justice. though bernard does screw up on one of the tunes, doesn't he? loses the form? don't remember.

but on blue note-i would say i like stick up, spiral, medina, patterns, oblique, total eclipse, linger lane, cirrus, waiting and knucklebean...off the top of my head...better than this guy. dialogue too. i would rank montreux with happenings and components and head on as not doing it for me like the other albums and san francisco as ok if i am in the mood for it but not comprable to the other albums.

I think this is my favourite Hutcherson

MG

I tend to agree.

For my taste, start with Dialogue (and sideman dates at the time) and my interest drops as the years go by. He became a generic "note spinner" very quickly. This date is about the end of the line for me. Nice technique though.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

To answer your question, from one of the various on-line instances of "A Critical Discography of Woody Shaw"...

Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival; July 5, 1973

Bobby Hutcherson - vbs; Cecil Bernard - p; WS - tp; Ray Drummond - b; Larry Hancock - d.

1. Anton's Bail (Hutcherson) 12:34

2. The Moontrane (WS) 10:42

3. Farallone (Hutcherson) 13:11

4. Song of Songs (WS) 13:50

Bobby Hutcherson -- Live At Montreux (CD)

Bobby Hutcherson - Live At Montreux: tracks 1,2,4 (LP)

Probably more worthwhile from the standpoint of a Hutcherson fan, but WS has some very good moments. Unfortunately, Bernard drops the form of "Moontrane" during Woody's solo, and keeps playing the A section with the first ending -- and throws Woody off. The band in general sounds a little underrehearsed on the first two tracks. The previously unreleased track "Farallone" is very good.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Hmmmmm

Never looked at it that way before

I must admit I bought the cd years ago when it first came out and loved it ever since. Thought it was a cracking set in all......Moontrane in particular.......maybe it because I liked bum A notes :D

Edited by andybleaden