Warpage

Got a couple of LPs mailed to me in the Texas summer and they're now warped pretty good. The playing surfaces are fine (not heat-chewed) so I'd like to salvage them if possible. Any ideas?

People must continue record commerce in Texas during the summer, but even a PO Box hasn't helped the hot semi trailer syndrome that these two Gunter Christmann titles must've encountered...

Got two grand? :)

I have heard of some people having success with two panes of tempered glass and an oven at very low temp (150-200) with a long cool down but others who say that just warps them more and distorts the groove. It's worth a shot if they're un-playable.

You'd think somebody would have done a thorough study on this by now. I mean, I've been hearing about that oven idea for decades. I never tried it, mainly because I'm too cheap and lazy to go out and get the tempered glass. ^_^ At any rate, if I was going to try it, I would certainly experiment first with a ________ (enter your idea of the cheapest, most laughable and worthless piece of crap vinyl here) LP, not the LP you're trying to save.

You'd think somebody would have done a thorough study on this by now. I mean, I've been hearing about that oven idea for decades. I never tried it, mainly because I'm too cheap and lazy to go out and get the tempered glass. ^_^ At any rate, if I was going to try it, I would certainly experiment first with a ________ (enter your idea of the cheapest, most laughable and worthless piece of crap vinyl here) LP, not the LP you're trying to save.

I think that two thousand dollar machine is probably the result of several oven experiments. :)

I thought someone here tried it. Was it Lon? Deep? Someone I know has definitely tried it.

I've also heard of, rather than an oven, leaving it in between the glass pieces out on the patio.

How long should one leave it, and does one keep it in its paper sleeve while doing this or not?

THe patio method has worked for me. I saved a couple of really nice Lester Young Norgrans that way. I used THICK glass, 3/8" thick (I have a glass shop at work), UNtempered. All I did was put the record between the two sheets of glass and sit it in the sun for about 40 min. I then took the glass/record into the house and let it cool to room temp. The warps were 90% fixed on the Norgans and they play GREAT now. I also tried this method on a REALLY nastily warped Lee Morgan vol. 3 --a deep groove 47 W 63rd copy and it went from UNplayable to playable with some thumps in the first 30 sec or so. I was then able to SELL this record as "warped buy playable"--probably added $50 to it's value (ebay, crica 1999).

I have heard of some people having success with two panes of tempered glass and an oven at very low temp (150-200) with a long cool down but others who say that just warps them more and distorts the groove. It's worth a shot if they're un-playable.

Just small addition to this method - to my experience it works for 78s made of shelac and not on vinyl pressings. When vinyl is distorted it can not be safely return to its original state withour distoration of the geometry of the disc.

Edited by mmilovan

Just small addition to this method - to my experience it works for 78s made of shelac and not on vinyl pressings. When vinyl is distorted it can not be safely return to its original state withour distoration of the geometry of the disc.

I haven't tried it w/78s but I have experimented with LPs and this been my experience as well. We had a long thread going about this way back on BNBB (think it was about one of my Hubbard W. 63rds?) and I proceeded to go to work on a couple of crappy records. Blazing Virginia sun, glass plates, ovens, incendiary bombs, etc ...tried it all and the end result was always groove distortion central!