ode to phil

By Ken Klavon, USGA

Mamaroneck, N.Y. – Should Phil Mickelson grab his first U.S. Open title Sunday, his swing coach has a prediction.

"I guarantee if he wins this one," said Rick Smith after his protégé shot one of the only two sub-par rounds on Saturday, "we’ll be on a plane to the British Open."

Smith laughed, yet he wasn’t joking.

The convergence between Smith, putting instructor Dave Pelz and Mickelson could be called a masterful trio. A few years ago, prior to his 2004 Masters victory, ‘The Plan’ was implemented, mostly because Mickelson was tired of his dopey go-for-broke reputation. That’s when he made the timely transition, at 33, to shed the dopey go-for-it Phil to a committed artisan.

Phil Mickelson posted one of two sub-par rounds in Saturday's third round at the U.S. Open. (John Mummert/USGA)

The transformation was assiduous, like learning how to drive a stick shift for the first time. But now the results are starting to pay dividends. After the second round, Pelz downplayed his role, saying Mickelson’s the one who has to execute. Smith saw this execution Saturday and struggled for the right words to describe the renovation.

"Jack Nicklaus was always very consistent from tee to green," he said, adding that Mickelson has always carried the same traits. Smith went on to describe Arnold Palmer’s uncanny ability to scramble, which had been missing in Mickelson’s game before.

"Don’t get me wrong, Palmer hit great shots too, like Jack," he said. "That’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is, it’s like having Palmer and Nicklaus in the same body. [Phil] has the ability to recover."

He did so out of the gate, on the 453-yard, par-4 second hole. He stood in the deep rough 30 yards right of the hole and made a miraculous chip to a foot to save par. He played much of the front side out of the thick stuff because he couldn’t find a fairway even if he could hand-place the ball. In fact, he hit just two of his first 12 fairways. And he implausibly shot just one over during that stretch.

Upon further review, it’s really not that implausible. Believe it or not, it’s all part of ‘The Plan.’ The old Phil would have missed fairways and left himself in thorny positions. When he missed Saturday, he missed conservatively, in places that still gave him a chance to make par. But it also helps to have talent, as he demonstrated on ‘The Pulpit,’ Winged Foot’s signature 10th hole that deceives with its false front.

Mickelson’s ball kissed the green but bounded down the hill, on the short-side of the flagstick. Another paranormal shot, this time a dazzling flop, came to rest a couple feet next to the hole. After tapping it for par, longtime caddie Jim "Bones" Mackay strolled by and light-heartedly uttered, "Gotta keep it below the hole."

On the sixth hole, Smith saw the first balanced swing of the round. It continued through nine, when everything finally clicked. Mickelson didn’t miss a fairway over his final eight holes, absorbing two birdies in the process. It’s a key statistic because players in contention under U.S. Open pressure must save as many strokes as possible.

"To me, he’s such a good iron player," said Smith. "It makes it easier to control the round."

It does when you know what you’re up against. It might be said that Mickelson is revolutionizing the way players prepare for majors or any other important tournaments. Before last year’s Open, he arrived early at Pinehurst to study nuances of the course. He did the same for the British Open at St. Andrews and for the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, which he won. He arrived at Winged Foot piecemeal starting in April, going so far to get in practice time during the morning of the final round of last week’s Barclays Classic.

Smith said the preparation was analogous to a member who might have played the course 100 or more times. There’s always something new to learn.

"This golf course has a lot of nuances, a lot of idiosyncrasies, and what I’ve been doing is trying to find out ways to makes pars from the rough because I’m not going to hit every fairway," said Mickelson.

Of course, it helps to make some putts too. Even difficult ones like at 16, which presented a harsh back-right hole location. The 8-footer continued through a downhill break and somehow disappeared for a birdie.

The putt caught Mike Davis, USGA Senior Director of Rules and Competitions, by surprise. He’s the one who set up the course, calling No. 16 "a par and half."

By the time he made it off the course, Mickelson wrestled Winged Foot to an impressive 69 that left him tied with Kenneth Ferrie at 2-over 212. Now a final faceoff awaits Sunday when he’ll get one more chance. This time he’ll go off last, tied with the unheralded Englishman Ferrie. It’s the first time he’s been tied for a U.S. Open lead entering the final round.

"I’d love to actually have a lead rather than be tied, but it’s certainly better than trailing," said Mickelson. "I don’t know either way, which way is best. But I know being in the last group can be difficult at times if you fall back, or it can be very beneficial knowing what other guys are doing and being patient."

Now Mickelson will find out whether his astuteness was worth the effort. The Phil of old probably would have buckled under the pressure. Now he cherishes it, calling it "fun."

Smith saw it another way.

"It’s about his belief system. He believes," said Smith. "This is what his life is about."

Or, all about executing ‘The Plan.’

Ken Klavon is the USGA’s Web Editor. E-mail him with questions or comments at kklavon@usga.org.