Children may not be sent by parcel post

A site I read frequently recently posted the following snippet of information, which also pops up on many of the "Today in History" sites:

June 13, 1920: “In response to separate incidents, the Post Office Department issues a regulation stating that children may not be sent by parcel post.”

Does anyone actually have any background information on this?

I couldn't find anything but the above fact online.

My interest perked up when I read the above.

Edit: This would be the US Post Office Department, as far as I can tell.

Edited by neveronfriday

A site I read frequently recently posted the following snippet of information, which also pops up on many of the "Today in History" sites:

June 13, 1920: “In response to separate incidents, the Post Office Department issues a regulation stating that children may not be sent by parcel post.”

All the websites I have found omit the “In response to separate incidents" part. I suppose that is the part you want background information for.

Yes, it is.

Everybody interprets the domestic mail manual differently. No kiddin'.

What idiots they were back then! Who would think to use parcel post anyway? A simple upgrade to Priority would ensure that the 7 ventilation holes poked in the steamer trunk were plenty sufficient to enable the

8-year old to emerge all rested and refreshed for his first day on the job at the shoe mill up in Lawrence, Mass or wherever?

What idiots they were back then! Who would think to use parcel post anyway? A simple upgrade to Priority would ensure that the 7 ventilation holes poked in the steamer trunk were plenty sufficient to enable the

8-year old to emerge all rested and refreshed for his first day on the job at the shoe mill up in Lawrence, Mass or wherever?

Exactly. :lol:

What this reminds me of is a Girls Behaving Badly prank where the girl who got her start on The Real World was packed into a shipping box and delivered to an office by a deliveryman. They'd be left in the room as noises would be heard from inside the box, and then the girl would pop out, in full wedding dress, like some sort of zombie.

The prank was called "Mail Order Bride" and the reactions of the poor deliverymen were priceless. :g

Wasn't there a guy a few years back who mailed himself in a crate to his folks place in Texas or Oklahoma and freaked everyone out when he popped out of the thing on the front steps?

Waldo Jeffers did that too:

http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/V/velvetund...egiftlyrics.htm

I just got back from the post office. Shipped off a crate 'parcel post' to the White House to test this all out. Can you imagine their surprise over in the East Wing when he pops out? chris1119.jpg