Jack Wilson

Son-of-a-Weizen

This is a very nice album; I was listening to it a few days ago. The others mentioned are VG+ as well. But in my view the best Jack Wilson piano album is "The Jack Wilson Quartet" - that one has a young Roy Ayers playing beautiful stuff.

It originally looked like this

jack-willson-quartet.jpg

That's a bit small, so here's a drawing of the cover

jazz2113.jpg

Then it was reissued on LP in this sleeve (title was changed to "Corcovado")

JA07826.jpg

and Collectibles has reissued it on CD like this

090431662625.jpg

coupled with an LP by Frances Wayne.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Something Personal (one of the BNs)--grooves like hell (in an unhurried, WC sort of way). Ayers is on that one, too. The group tackles (among other things) Ornette's 'The Sphinx'--and, although nothing really inventive comes of it, the gesture remains notable (one of the bonus tracks is a version of Coltrane's 'Mr. Day'--so I guess Wilson was at least looking into more advanced idioms). Also worth mention is the cello work of Ray Brown--vaguely guitar-like, adding some fine coloration.

I've got Easterly Winds, which is also not "change-your-life good" but certainly "damn-nice-sounding-CD good." Never seen Two Sides, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

"Two sides" is on Collectibles - available

MG

Yeah, Bruce......and if you hit that Collectibles site soon, you'll also be able to pick up this 'priceless' one for a paltry $5.97!!

090431810125.jpg;)

MG, Not familiar with that Wilson/Ayers quartet Lp.....guess I'll have to raid Collectibles for a copy and some Don Ho as well! Did notice a somewhat pricey LP copy over on eBay. Wonder who that "former Director of Publicity & Marketing for Blue Note in the USA" might have been?

I have to admit I find the Wilson/Ayers collaborations I have (three or four of them) much nicer than the "Two Sides" LP. It sounds excellent (no wonder with Howard Holzer engineering), and makes Leroy Vinegar and Philly Joe Jones sit right in your living room, but I find Wilson somewhat unfocused - he has a lot of chops, but I miss some direction or truly personal touch, as if he was still searching. With Ayers there is much more melodic substance.

I've got Easterly Winds, which is also not "change-your-life good" but certainly "damn-nice-sounding-CD good." Never seen Two Sides, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

"Two sides" is on Collectibles - available

MG

Yeah, Bruce......and if you hit that Collectibles site soon, you'll also be able to pick up this 'priceless' one for a paltry $5.97!!

090431810125.jpg;)

Be still, my heart. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

This is a very nice one, much more recent (listing from Downtown Music Gallery):

JACK WILSON TRIO - In New York (DIW 615; Japan) Jack Wilson (p), Leon Maleson (b), James Chirillo (g), Jimmy Cobb (ds). Recorded at Sound On Sound, NYC on June 4, 1993. Jack Wilson is an underrated and vastly talented pianist who made some beautiful recordings for the Blue Note label in the 1960s. Like his label-mate Big John Patton, his 90s re-emergence should introduce his talents to a whole new generation of jazz fans. This date from 1993 has never been available in the U.S. It is a crisply recorded set of mostly standards played by a sensitive and swinging trio. The tunes include Jerome Kern's Long Ago And Far Away, the Cahn-Van Heusen chestnut The Second Time Around (made famous by Sinatra) and the gentle ballad Sandie, My Love, penned by Wilson.

Even though it says trio, the guitar appears on several tracks.

Now wouldn't that be a major league steal for .99 ? :cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACK-WILSON-The-Two-Si...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, I agree 100% with Mike Weill. This is a good album, but not a patch on the two I've heard with Roy Ayers.

If you can get it for a dollar, though, OK. But don't build your hopes up too high.

MG

Well, I agree 100% with Mike Weill. This is a good album, but not a patch on the two I've heard with Roy Ayers.

If you can get it for a dollar, though, OK. But don't build your hopes up too high.

MG

Postage is $10. It will not be had for a buck...

MG

Postage is $10. It will not be had for a buck...

Effin' incredible!

MG

The 1963 Quartet date with Ayers on Atlantic smokes. But Collectables screwed it up when they reissued it. They buried it at the end of the CD with another artist in front. Also the remastering engineer used heavy no-noise digital hiss reduction (which sounds like it was transferred from vinyl) and you can hear swirling digital artifacts during the fade outs of each track.

A superb album given substandard treatment on CD.