Classic Records and EMI Music Group team up!

wolff

Man, Classic Records just keeps on rolling.

Mucic Angle article

Their catalog is just sick!!

5 more Blue Notes coming this month and more in the future.

26 Impulse titles in the works.

And now EMI titles from:

David Bowie

Rolling Stones

Jethro Tull

Roxy Music

Frank Sinatra

Nat King Cole

Radiohead

Queen

Brian Eno

James Taylor

and the Beatles!!! From everything I've read being able to reissue the Beatles

is an amazing accomplishment.

My occasional complaints about noisy vinyl aside, Classic Records is an amazing reissue label.

In these days of reissue labels not leasing titles, Classic is in a league of their own.

My last Classic purchase was Neil Young's "Prarie Wind", and it's a beauty in every respect.

In addition, IMO Classic Records does a better job reissuing Blue Notes than Blue Note.

Edited by wolff

Yes, I want clicks and pops on that one. The "premium" pressing plants these days deliver goods equal to "decent" plants in the old days. Spend your money on worn originals or cds. -_-

Chuck, does that go for that reissued Fanfare for the Warriors on vinyl that I've seen around?

Yes, I want clicks and pops on that one. The "premium" pressing plants these days deliver goods equal to "decent" plants in the old days. Spend your money on worn originals or cds. -_-

Chuck, does that go for that reissued Fanfare for the Warriors on vinyl that I've seen around?

Don't have a clue. I gave up.

I have about 90 Classic Records titles and easily another 150 titles pressed at RTI. All are dead quiet and flat.

I have returned about 10 for replacement or my money back due to defects. The latest being

the Monk/Coltrane.

The records pressed at this plant hold up very well over the years.

CD's seem so cheap and worthless compared to

what Classic Records is doing. I guess that's a given in

most vinyl vs. CD comparisons.

The fact that Classic Records gets a shot at the Beatles catalog speaks volumes

for how well they are thought of.

Edited by wolff

did they do the Coltrane at the Half-Note from last year? I'm curious about the sound of that one

I finally pulled the trigger on that one a week and a half ago...I was apprehensive as Side 1 is 29+ minutes long!!!

But it was just so beautiful there in the store...smiling at me...

Have no fear. It's a keeper. Just great, great music. And great sound too, for what it is. It is a stereo recording, but there are quite a few dropouts that I'm sure are in the master tape they used. (Ravi's personal copy; it was his dad's, given to him by the producer of the broadcasts.)

Go for it. :tup

Chuck, I know exactly what you mean. I just go nuts when the $4 record sound as good or better than the $30 record. :o:huh::ph34r:

I have a feeling money was not as big a factor as other intangibles

associated with Classic Records. AFAIK this will be the first time the

most coveted catalog in the world will be done out of house.

Classic Records has amassed quite a track record when it comes to

prestigious catalogs. Dylan, Hendrix. RCA Living Stereos. The Who,

Neil Young and Blue Note to name just a few. I think their stellar reputation

was as important as their money.

Edited by wolff

I am probably the only one here who's manufactured lps for 30+ years. I've dealt with most of the classic mastering studios (RVG, RCA, Masterdisk, Sterling, etc) and pressing plants (Columbia, RCA, Capitol, All Disc, Wakefield, etc). Gee, I didn't mention plating plants. Where does pre-echo come from? Is it a tape problem? Could it be a plating problem? Is the source of the "clicks" a pressing problem, a plating problem or a bad batch of lacquer discs? Which lacquer supplier has the best product this month? Which resin formulator has the purest solution at the moment? How many of you have rejected 14 sets of plates? How many of you have rejected numerous mastering "tests"?

There are precious few operations delivering the services mentioned above and to think they are of the "highest quality" is a joke. Competition in the marketplace does make a big difference.

Please do not tell me about vinyl.

I am probably the only one here who's manufactured lps for 30+ years. I've dealt with most of the classic mastering studios (RVG, RCA, Masterdisk, Sterling, etc) and pressing plants (Columbia, RCA, Capitol, All Disc, Wakefield, etc). Gee, I didn't mention plating plants. Where does pre-echo come from? Is it a tape problem? Could it be a plating problem? Is the source of the "clicks" a pressing problem, a plating problem or a bad batch of lacquer discs? Which lacquer supplier has the best product this month? Which resin formulator has the purest solution at the moment? How many of you have rejected 14 sets of plates? How many of you have rejected numerous mastering "tests"?

There are precious few operations delivering the services mentioned above and to think they are of the "highest quality" is a joke. Competition in the marketplace does make a big difference.

:rofl:

I understand your POW, because it was exactly the same with analog and digital shooting. I worked, and still work ;) as film editor for movies, commercials, documentaries, you named it., I owned a film company (and I lost a lot of money), and digital shooting and editing is an huge step forward from every point of view. For example yesterday I got the speaker's voice as numbered tracks on a cd instead a lousy Scotch tape, I putted the cd in my Avid editing station and in half an hour I did the job.

Some of this vinyl revival may have to do with naive desire to get back to 'good old days' when we were younger, without white hair, or with hair, and our trouser's size was the same of our teenagers sons.

BUT, when I see good film copy of ' The Searchers' in a theater, I can see the difference with every DVD copy on every HT money could get. Yes, you can see some hairs on the copy, drops, but...

When I listen to a original good mastered vinyl, compared to the today's habits to pump up frequencies in remastered cds, I agree with Wolff.

Anyway I have a DVD copy of 'Rio Bravo', I can make a copy for you. :P

Edited by porcy62

When they came out earlier this year with the pre-surprise surprise announcement about some special box they were hard at work on, alot of folks thought it was a Beatles package. The formal Led Zeppelin $700 'road case' announcement was a big room deflater, so maybe they'll take another shot at it and go Beatles?

• 11 months later...

Where does pre-echo come from? Is it a tape problem? Could it be a plating problem?

I have ALWAYS wondered about this! I assume, Chuck, you're talking about when you hear the opening bar or phrase of a track faintly just before the actual track starts.

Where _does_ it come from?

Always wondered about that myself.