Gerald Wilson Mosaic

Sorry if there is already another discussion about this box....I have been "away" from the forums for a while and can't seem to get the search function to work today.

I have had this box for some time but am really just getting around to listening to it in earnest.

What a GAS!

I've been checking out Disc III today, and I love even the short, pop-influenced arrangements. Maybe I'm getting jaded but seldom do I feel compelled to get up and dance while sitting in my listening room, a la Thelonious Monk, but this stuff WILL do it every time.

Here's to the joy of uncomplicated FUNKINESS awash in a "good bath of overtones!" SCREW the liner note writer who has faint praise for those pop covers...Ok so it's not stuff to change the future of jazz, but it's FUN - something this guy apparently hasn't had in many years. Some of the most convincing pop covers by a jazz artist ever, for sure. Tons of great moments too - like Dennis Budimir's oddball chord extensions in "I Got You (I Feel Good)," you can HEAR the man smiling.

And then you come to Teddy Edwards' reading of "I Concentrate on You" and you realize that there is maybe nothing quite so beautiful as this reading of that hoary old tune.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. That, and Malcom Addey is a friggin' wizard.

Edited by DrJ

I agree that Malcolm has made what must be great sounding masters sing.

Also, though I haven't been wallowing in this set for a while (and due to my personal situation away from home for hopefully only a few more months won't be grabbing it out and revisiting it) but I like this set just fine. You're right, "fun" is a big element in the listening and I have to believe the creation of these sides. I've been able to watch an old 25 minute or so TV show that showcased Gerald Wilson's Orchestra and to watch him directing the band reinforces this. He's intent and he's very detail concious and getting all he can out of the band, but his very posture and gestures and expressions show that this is what he LOVES to do, and all the band members are responding with an eagerness and attention that lets you know they're also digging themselve big time.

There is another thread around here but the search function hasn't been working for me and my iBook lately so I'll just agree that we could talk about this set again.

Edited by jazzbo

I bought "You better believe it", "On stage" and "Feelin' kinda blues" between '65 and '67 and I've loved that stuff ever since. I STILL don't think there are better examples of organ/big band than the first two of those LPs. And Teddy Edwards playing! I hadn't heard him until I heard these LPs and I became an immediate fan; he's so extremely funky and meaty and wailing - even on the ballads.

And I'm still sorry that Mosaic didn't include the LP Gerald made with Les McCann. That's another example of pure fun.

No one need be surprised at how well Gerald was orchestrating these pop songs. The first time I encountered his name was backing singers like Sam Cooke - if you never heard Sam sing "Cool train" with the GW orch wailing behind him (Sam could sing the blues very, very, poignantly) you're missing a great sound. Unfortunately, so am I 'cos I got rid of the single in the '60s (I think the A side was "Frankie & Johnny" also with GW). My memory insists, perhaps foolishly, that GW also arranged "Little red rooster" for Sam. He also, I think, backed up Lou Rawls and Nancy Wilson, as well as others.

MG

It's not often that I pre-order a Mosaic set but I did with this one (mine is about no. 50-ish). Have loved it ever since first listen and it fills in nicely when I can't be bothered with the hassle of getting the Pacific Jazz vinyls out. Saw Gerald live quite recently and he's still an absolute phenomenon !

I agree that this box is pure gold. I also agree that Wilson's use of Groove Holmes as part of the big band is second to none. I like those Jimmy Smith Verve records, but they always sound like "here's the big band... and now here's Jimmy Smith!" which was probably the point. Groove is much more integrated in the band. And I think it's the only example of an organist kickin' bass with a big band!!!

:excited:

Probably THE "modern" (post-1955) big band for me. I never tire of this set and yeah, I even dig the pop covers and play them from time to time on the air. Incredible array of musicians that Wilson assembled for his orchestra in the 1960s... and yet I still feel this band doesn't get as much love & respect as it should. For anybody who doesn't want to spring for the entire Mosaic, Wilson's recent entry in Blue Note's "Artist Select" series gives a tasty one-disc rendering.

The GW sessions of Johnny Hartman's "Unforgettable" are pretty impressive, too.

Heads up: At the end of July, Yoshi's is having a 5-day Kenny Burrell 75th birthday bash featuring Joey DeFrancesco & Hubert Laws. The last day of that run - 7/31 - they are joined by the Gerald Wilson Jazz Orchestra. Definitely a show NOT to miss.

Heads up: At the end of July, Yoshi's is having a 5-day Kenny Burrell 75th birthday bash featuring Joey DeFrancesco & Hubert Laws. The last day of that run - 7/31 - they are joined by the Gerald Wilson Jazz Orchestra. Definitely a show NOT to miss.

Oh man, I'm in the Bay Area on vacation at that time!

Oh man, I'm in the Bay Area on vacation at that time!

GOOD timing!

Hi!

Just put in my order for this set after listening to the samples at Mosaicrecords. They were really good. I hope the rest does not disappoint? I've had some great moments with the Nelson set as well :D

/Shaft

PS. Thanks guys for letting me in on this......

Well, here is the bad news. I bought this set (albeit from Ebay with no box and booklet) and was rather disapointed all round.

I love Groove Holmes playing but even that failed to inspire.....Its one of the MOsaics (maybe one other) that I never , ever listen to anymore...in fact I have thought about selling it as it needs a better home than I can give it

Shame I know but its the truth

:(:tdown

Edited by andybleaden