Bill Charlap Trio

fasstrack

Heard 'em tonight.

Smokin', dudes and dudettes. Bill really played his ass off (meaning he played out, balls out) and the trio is a well-oiled machine, something on the order of Ahmad's famous trio. I mean to say not that this is the second coming of the Ahmad Jamal trio, but they absolutely loom large as a model with these guys. And they're pretty close in the mantle among cats out there now. Kenny Washington is a MF, he's so alert. I don't want to leave Peter out, he's the real strength in a way because there's so much close interaction between Bill and Kenny that someone has to 'keep the furnace burning', as Red Mitchell used to like to say. The dynamics as a trio just turn on the dime with these guys, too. Having a working group is the answer to everything.

Songs, not necessarily in order: Israel (that was the first tune); Godchild; Blues in the Night; Rocker; Bon Ami (Jim Hall); A Harry Warren ballad which I didn't know and can't recall the title of now; Blue Skies; and they closed with The Best Thing for You Would be Me (which, if you followed Ahmad's group, that was one of his mainstays).

I wanted very much to mention that I had thought the scene at JALC was a little stiff and perhaps overly 'corporate', but a guy named Desmond who's usually at the door took really good care of me and treated me with the respect everyone deserves and then some.

It was a perfect closer to a very beautiful day for me here in NY. I'm still smiling.

• 2 months later...

Digressing slightly from the thread title, I just got "You Taught My Heart To Sing" on HighNote, by Houston Person and Bill Charlap. This is a beautiful duet album that is well worth getting. In fact, you would be a fool not to get it. Mostly ballads, some mid-tempo pieces, all played like champagne and candlelight. Person plays with such modest authority, and so jaw-droppingly well. This is a keeper.

To my knowledge, Charlap has never released a solo album. It's time! What a fantastic pianist. In the meanwhile this has become my favorite Charlap record.

Digressing slightly from the thread title, I just got "You Taught My Heart To Sing" on HighNote, by Houston Person and Bill Charlap. This is a beautiful duet album that is well worth getting. In fact, you would be a fool not to get it. Mostly ballads, some mid-tempo pieces, all played like champagne and candlelight. Person plays with such modest authority, and so jaw-droppingly well. This is a keeper.

Tom, thanks for the review. I found out about this just a few days ago, in perfect timing to my upcoming B-day. I've got my brother ordering this and the new Scott Hamilton ballads album. I'm figuring that between the two, I'll have the soundtrack ready for my anniversary, which comes 8 days after my birthday. :D

Tom, thanks for the review. I found out about this just a few days ago, in perfect timing to my upcoming B-day. I've got my brother ordering this and the new Scott Hamilton ballads album. I'm figuring that between the two, I'll have the soundtrack ready for my anniversary, which comes 8 days after my birthday. :D

The Person/Charlap is perfect for an anniversary. Well judged!

Although... I guess it all depends on your wife. Dylan Thomas wrote a blurb for a novel by the Irish humorist Flann O'Brien that said, "This is just the sort of book you should buy for your sister--if your sister is a loud, dirty, boozy sort of girl." But I'm assuming champagne, candelight and jazz ballads are just thing for your wife, whom I naturally assume to be beautiful, charming and demure. :)

Edited by Tom Storer

The Person/Charlap is perfect for an anniversary. Well judged!

Although... I guess it all depends on your wife. Dylan Thomas wrote a blurb for a novel by the Irish humorist Flann O'Brien that said, "This is just the sort of book you should buy for your sister--if your sister is a loud, dirty, boozy sort of girl." But I'm assuming champagne, candelight and jazz ballads are just thing for your wife, who I assume is beautiful, charming and demure. :)

Well, truth be told, she'd prefer Def Leppard so maybe the "loud, dirty, boozy sort of girl" is a better description. But I also know she's enjoyed each of the earlier Person High Notes I've played ... and after five years of marriage, I know she can do beautiful, charming and demure like it was second nature. :P

How do the Venus discs compare to the Blue Notes? I have the Hoagy Carmichael set (love theses tunes very much!) and the one with guests (incl. Shirley Horn and Frank Wess).

Bought both in a sale and like them quite well, but if I read the above comments, I think they're a bit more restrained?

How do the Venus discs compare to the Blue Notes? I have the Hoagy Carmichael set (love theses tunes very much!) and the one with guests (incl. Shirley Horn and Frank Wess).

Bought both in a sale and like them quite well, but if I read the above comments, I think they're a bit more restrained?

I like the Venus trio CDs better.

in my mind there is no comparison whatsoever. the venus dates are far more cohesive and present the trio as a well-oiled machine in contrast to the blue notes, which while good, have something that weighs them down or keeps them from fully realizing their potential. also, the venus dates (released under the banner of the new york trio name) aren't thematic (a la carmichael and bernstein). then there's that venus mastering...

do yourself a favor and check them out,

-e-

the blue notes, which while good, have something that weighs them down or keeps them from fully realizing their potential.

I call it "major label syndrome" (even thought Blue Note is kind of small to be called a "major label," it's the same syndrome). It rarely fails--there's something glossy and a little unreal and hollow about major label releases.

Edited by Tom Storer

Is there a good websource (non-japanese, favourably european) to get Venus discs from? I have one or two I found in sales bins, but usually they are not distributed here or if, sold for astronomic prizes, which I'm not prepared to pay. :-(

They aren't European, but Cadence has always been the best option I've found for Venus discs. About $22 per disc - if you get enough, maybe shipping won't up that number by too much.

Edited by Dan Gould

Is there a good websource (non-japanese, favourably european) to get Venus discs from? I have one or two I found in sales bins, but usually they are not distributed here or if, sold for astronomic prizes, which I'm not prepared to pay. :-(

They aren't European, but Cadence has always been the best option I've found for Venus discs. About $22 per disc - if you get enough, maybe shipping won't up that number by too much.

Thanks! I may try them some day (I know they got a good reputation and all, but I think I only used them once or twice so far...). Still pretty steep 22$ a disc! (Is that US$ or Canadian$?)

Thanks! I may try them some day (I know they got a good reputation and all, but I think I only used them once or twice so far...). Still pretty steep 22$ a disc! (Is that US$ or Canadian$?)

that's $US. They are located in upstate NY, probably not far from the Canadian border, but still in the US.

Nobody mentioned the 3 Charlap trio Criss Cross CDs. I like them better than the Blue Note's and they are as good if not better than the ones on Venus. My favorite Charlap Trio CD is:

All Through The Night - Criss Cross 1153

I agree! For some reason, I got hooked when I heard "Pure Imagination" (the tune from the Willy Wonka film) on the radio. Before Criss Cross, Charlap also did some other nice CD's on Chiaroscuro and Progressive.

• 8 months later...

I hope Charlap is doing something other than standards on this one.

1. Rocker

2. Autumn In New York

3. Godchild

4. The Lady Is a Tramp

5. It's Only a Paper Moon

6. My Shining Hour

7. All Across the City

8. While We're Young

9. Last Night When We Were Young

Looks good to me. :cool:

All standards and jazz tunes, Matthew, so if you're looking for the cutting edge of audacious innovation, you'll be disappointed. But as mainstream piano trios playing standards go, this is way up there. I hear Charlap's model as the Tommy Flanagan trio--those crisp arrangements, and the basic distribution of roles. None of that Scott Lafaro stuff for Peter Washington, he's one of the great contemporary walking bassists (and his rare solos with this trio are very impressive). And Kenny Washington is extraordinary. This trio is all about swing and melody, elegant lines and cohesion whether at a snail's pace or a gallop. It's nothing groundbreaking but their joyful exercise of their craft is pure pleasure for me.

Digressing a little, I recently learned that Reggie Washington, whom I've usually heard playing bass guitar with Steve Coleman, is Kenny's brother. Who'd have guessed?