Tile flooring...

Hey Jim-

In your first picture of the bathroom- was that lathing (sp?) on the wall to be used for plaster......did you place the drywall over that or rip it out??

My wife and I own a farmhouse built 1907......we are constantly surprised by all the little work that needs to be done- and it seems like I can't apply prior knowledge to the new jobs due to the uniqueness of the house.

We also have a clawfoot tub with a modified shower head installed- we have one bathroom.....your clawfoot tub looks great- I really like mine!

vajerzy,

Yes, the lathe boards were underneath the plaster, which I tore down because it was old and had too many layers of wallpaper on it to make it worthwhile. I kept the lathe boards and just put the backerboard (like drywall, but for tiling) right on top. We're going to tile the walls up to about 5 feet and then I have drywall above that, placed right on top of the lathe. It makes the whole thing really really strong.

The main issue with our house is fixing what the previous owners attempted. They were either really cheap or really stupid or both. They messed a lot of things up completely and did things really half-assed. For instance, I'm tearing down all the drop ceilings in the house... there are five of them... one in our bedroom, one in the bathroom (already gone!), one in the kitchen (already gone!), one in my music studio, and one in my office/soon-to-be nursery. After tearing two of them down I found out why they put them up in the first place: To cover their shitty plumbing jobs. Every drop ceiling in this house is hiding some cheap, half-assed plumbing work that needs to be re-done. Thankfully I can do it all myself.

We got some really nice restoration hardware for our clawfoot with a big shower head and porcelin (sp?) knobs. Beautiful stuff. I can't wait to get everything in that bathroom... it's going to be gorgeous!!! :)

Thanks Jim! That was my thought of what you did.

I'm the only one amongst my friends who has an older home so they're no help.

I tend to learn things on my own, do a lot of research, know my limitations, and hope for the best. Right now I'm learning about our water system (we have a 225 foot well) and trying to figure out the wiring. I'd like to install a connection for a generator to run the well pump and other devices in case the power goes out.

Unlike you, the previous owners did a lot of work on our house and they did it right, so I'm real happy about that.

I wonder who has the oldest home amongst the members?

Mine is a simple farmhouse built in 1907.

Edited by vajerzy

Your home looks beautiful! :) Our looks real ugly on the outside right now. It's painted barn red. The blue color yours has is one color I'm thinking about. I also need to open up the front porch again. The previous owners enclosed it, including building boxes around the beautiful 10 foot solid oak columns (four of them!) that frame the porch. Idiots.

So you have a 1907. I have a 1909. Who's next in line?

1852!

Our house was one of 26 (thirteen on each side) build in Philadelphia between 1850 and 1856; one of the few east coast houses that was actually being build at that time due to material shortages because of the Civil War (they could keep building because they already bought the bricks!). There are a lot of secrets behind those walls! Previous owners have done some neat things (great slate/radiant heat floor in kitchen/dining room), some okay things (raised top floor roof to make it a cathedral ceiling); and some crappy things (cheaped out on the kitchen cabinets). I need to redo one full bathroom; Jim, your shots are giving me some confidence I could tackle the job myself! Here's a picture of the outside front from the listing when we bought it.

Wow! Now that's an old house. How about some of our European members? Everything is old over there! :)

Peter, tiling is pretty easy. It helps to have someone who's done it before, but if you don't know anyone, practice on a small sheet of plywood first. If you do it once, you'll realize how simple it is. My biggest hint? If you're doing it by yourself, do a dry-run first and cut everything you need to cut before-hand. Then you can just lay the whole deal at once.

Thanks Jim!! My wife likes the blue but wants to eventually paint it a brick/colonial red and paint the area above the second floor a khaki color. Its wood shingled and very distinct and she wants it to stand out. You have 10 foot solid oak columns?? That's wonderful!! I like columns on a porch.....I would like to see an exterior shot of your house.

Peter- Are you in Old City Philly, around Locust or Walnut?? Your house looks like the setting from Trading Places, where Dan Ackroyd lived. I think those homes are wonderful and I would love to see the interior of them.

My wife and I like old homes and would like to see the interior of both of them- we think they're fascinating!!

Close, vajerzy--we actually live about 2.5 blocks South of Rittenhouse Square on Waverly Street! Funny that you mention Trading Places. Akroyd's house was actually on Delancey Street, a street that we've always loved, but you can't buy there for much less than a mil these days! We liked our street because it was like a "mini Delancey Street!" I'll see if I can scare up some interior photos. Our house was first remodeled in 1920 to add bathrooms (that's what the patio had been for) and electricity (replacing interior gaslights)!

Jazzmoose- I think your home is real solid- I grew up in a home built in the 50s and it's very durable- I'm amazed at the quality of construction. Those homes built post WWII were made very well!

Peter- I know your area- it's a great place! Remove the cars and replace them with carriages and be transported back in time......any gas lamps or other period furnishings on the street? I like Philadelphia alot- my Mom/Dad grew up there and still have an aunt and cousins in Havertown/Upper Darby. :)

I'm trying to find out who built our home- it has a nice story with it- we're the 4th owners since 1907. :tup

I too would be interested to see interiors or any home photos anyone might want to share. I'm always looking for ideas to steal! Our house was built in the 50s too- it's very nice and spacious and functional, just not as "artsy" as some of y'alls. All the older neat looking places we checked out needed tons of work. There are a lot of homes in the KC area with some great stone walls and stone porches. Most of them go for mucho dinero, though, and we're not quite financially well-off enough to take on a mega-fixer-upper.

BTW, Rooster's place is pretty cool I must say. You should post a pic, bro!