Tile flooring...

So my wife and I are closing on our first home this Thursday. It's a beautiful home built in 1909 in one of Lansing's historical districts. The sellers have owned it for 30+ years and have not re-decorated since they first bought the home with the exception of some really butt-ugly linolium they crappily installed in the downstairs kitchen and bathroom.

We want to tile the kitchen floor, the bathroom floor, the kitchen counter top, and about 3 feet up the bathroom wall since we will be installing a clawfoot tub (a home that old has to have a clawfoot tub!)

My question is has anyone in Organissimo-Forum-Land done tiling before? Any suggestions? I've bought a book and I'm studying it. We also found some tile that we really like but it seems a little pricey. I've searched the web, but I can't seem to find any good deals. Are there any places we should look?

The tile we like is an Italian import called Casa Dolce Casa (home sweet home!) and they use really beauitful earth-tone colors and each tile is different from the next. The shading is really subtle and beautiful and the line we like has that wire-cut edge (ie, not a perfect edge in any sense of the word) which adds a nice rustic-ness to the tile.

Just looking for some hints or suggestions. Thanks!

:party:

Congratulations, Jim!

My wife and I bought a house just over a year ago--sounds similar, built in 1865 and in a historic area of Philadelphia. We've been having a blast with it--painting, floors, etc.

BUT, I have no experience with tile. :o

Sooooooo, this post is of NO HELP WHATSOEVER, but sincere congrats, and I look forward to hearing what you do with the place!

most of the home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, Etc.) have weekend classes on things like laying tile, decorative wall painting, and the like. i haven't done my floors yet, (gotta paint first), but i have done some mosaic-ing, and it's not that difficult. best to start with a little used room or closet to gain skill and confidence. if you have a big job buy one of these, other wise rent.

045.jpg

Edited by jacman

I have a good amount of experience with tile. I would not recommend that manual tile cutter. With the amount of work that you have ahead of you Jim, it is going to make more sense to purchase a wet saw than to rent one. You may be able to find a used wet saw around town. Odds are someone in your neighborhood was in the same situation as you. They aren't terribley expensive either.

I have a list of supplies that are necessary for a tile job somewhere, but I'd have to dig it up. I was always forgetting something. Multiple trips to the local improvement store became a pain in the ass.

Once you have completed the demolition phase, start with a chalkline. Work out the grid you will be working on. Keep the width of your grout lines in mind. This way you will know approximately what kinds of cuts you will be making. Mark the tile that needs cuts with a pencil. Are you going to be using a border of any sort?

Once this is done, do a dry run. Lay out the tile without the mastik. Make your cuts one by one. You are going to have to do some trimming here an there until you get it right. Just don't cut to much! Always cut conservatively!

As far as laying tile vertically, you will need to first install backer board. This serves as insulation and the mastik really adheres well.

My advice is to take your time. Especially when making cuts. It can get tricky. Not all of your cuts are going to be level, straight lines. This isn't a Saturday afternoon project. Be patient. The reward is a nice, stout floor.

Thanks, everyone! I think my mother-in-law has a tile cutter, although I don't know if it's the one jacman posted or a wet-saw. I've been reading books and soaking up information. I realize this isn't going to be a one day project.

I think we're going to have a lot of fun and work ahead of us but I'm excited at the prospect of finally making the bathroom and kitchen that we want!!!

Thanks, everyone! I think my mother-in-law has a tile cutter, although I don't know if it's the one jacman posted or a wet-saw. I've been reading books and soaking up information. I realize this isn't going to be a one day project.

I think we're going to have a lot of fun and work ahead of us but I'm excited at the prospect of finally making the bathroom and kitchen that we want!!!

That's what its all about. You'll have a real sense of accomplishment once its all said and done.

• 6 months later...

Wow. I can't believe I originally posted this in July and here it is almost friggin' MARCH and I finally got the floor tiled. Next week I move on to the walls.

Here's the bathroom before, with my new plywood subfloor. I had to tear the original floor out all the way to the crossbeams because the dumb-shits that owned the house before us let a toilet leak for God knows how long. And it's not like you wouldn't know the toilet is leaking. Number one, it rocked back and forth when you sat on it and number two whenever you flushed it you'd have a puddle in the basement. DUH!

floor_2.jpg

Anyway, that's our clawfoot tub. I'm getting the feet chrome plated and I painted the outside white. We also had the inside professionally re-glazed. It looks magnificent.

That's Herman on the inside. We had just moved the tub into the bathroom and of course he had to see what it was. That was about two months ago, at least.

But VOILA, our new floor (not yet grouted)....

floor_1.jpg

I wanted to get the 1" hexgonal mosaic tiles to go for that real "turn of the 20th century" look, since the house was built in 1909. But that stuff was almost $7 per sq. ft!!!! The 2" octagon/1"square stuff you see was only $2.49 per sq ft at the local Home Depot. Can't beat that.

On the walls we originally wanted to do subway tile but again, it's expensive as all hell (why, I don't know. White tile should be cheap.) So we're going with white squares and we're trying to come up with an interesting pattern.

WOO HOO! So anyway, that's what I was doing Tuesday while the board was down! :)

"What a difference some grout makes..."

Did the grout today. That was the most enjoyable part! We chose a nice "pewter" shade of grout. I am very proud of my floor and this gives me confidence to tackle the walls and then the kitchen floor and counter-top (in due time of course!).

I think the house appreciates it too! :) Everything needs to be loved.

Say hi to Hermie!

floor3.jpg