Why not more Kenny Burrell RVGs?

monkboughtlunch

Freedom would seem to be a natural for reissue, it has Stan The Man on it, Herbie Hancock, etc. Plus it's a 60's session which evidently makes a big difference in the Blue Note sales figures.

I really don't understand why Burrell doesn't sell that well, other than people not knowing who he is. I've played Kenny for people that "hate" jazz and they even dug it. Plus guitarists are such an easy starting point for "non-jazz" fans, especially if they like the blues...some Kenny, some Grant, some Wes...next thing you know, they have culture thrust upon them and they don't even know it!

HA!

:g

Freedom would seem to be a natural for reissue, it has Stan The Man on it, Herbie Hancock, etc. Plus it's a 60's session which evidently makes a big difference in the Blue Note sales figures.

I really don't understand why Burrell doesn't sell that well, other than people not knowing who he is. I've played Kenny for people that "hate" jazz and they even dug it. Plus guitarists are such an easy starting point for "non-jazz" fans, especially if they like the blues...some Kenny, some Grant, some Wes...next thing you know, they have culture thrust upon them and they don't even know it!

HA!

:g

Dead right. I'm really surprised that Kenny doesn't sell well, particularly compared to Grant Green. Back in the 60s, no one would have envisaged a scenario in which almost all of Green's own albums would be available and so few of Kenny's. If anyone had given thought to the future in that way, I'm sure they (and I) would have expected quite the reverse to be true.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that Kenny made lots of records for companies like Cadet/Argo, CTI, Verve, Muse, Concord, which are not in very "reissue-friendly" hands. Could one imagine that, now Concord's owner has acquired Fantasy, some Concord releases will be issued on OJC?

MG

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that Kenny made lots of records for companies like Cadet/Argo, CTI, Verve, Muse, Concord, which are not in very "reissue-friendly" hands. Could one imagine that, now Concord's owner has acquired Fantasy, some Concord releases will be issued on OJC?

Huh? I don't know what is in print at this moment, but KB recorded 5 CDs for Concord after BN dropped them, and I'm pretty sure they stayed in print for quite some time. I wouldn't say that Concord has dropped the ball on what they have in catalog. And the Muse recordings got packaged by 32 Jazz and aren't impossible to find either.

I think its pretty obvious that because Burrell didn't have an overtly funky period like Grant, he couldn't get rediscovered by the Acid Jazz movement which meant he couldn't get marketed like Grant was, and that is the reason why so much of Green's work is reissued and so much of KB's isn't.

Having said that, I'd be real surprised if Freedom doesn't come out as a Conn. one of these years. Considering it was a Japan only release and very hard to find, its perfect for that series.

I think its pretty obvious that because Burrell didn't have an overtly funky period like Grant, he couldn't get rediscovered by the Acid Jazz movement which meant he couldn't get marketed like Grant was, and that is the reason why so much of Green's work is reissued and so much of KB's isn't.

It seems to me that Green's relative popularity with jazz buyers began to flourish long before the "acid jazz" marketing thing (at least long before I was aware of it). I don't have any sales statistics, but as a jazz guitar networking nut, I had a front row seat in terms of watching Grant's popularity surge back in the early 80's. Grant's later, funkier recordings got significant attention as well, but it was the LT series stuff (and the elusive Japan-only related material) that really got the ball rolling and had people scrambling to keep up. Then came the Mosaic set, and more and more U.S. BN releases, and the momentum just carried on.

To some extent, I think MG is right about the OOP problem for Burrell. I don't have any statistics, but just from observing the brick & mortar availability of a lot of KB's recordings for various labels over the years, I wonder if some of them went OOP too quickly, or whether there were distribution problems. Quite a few of my copies of things are imports (German Verves; French Cadets; British Muse; ...I've even seen quite a few foreign issues of Concord CD's, although I'm blanking on where they came from). At any rate, I don't doubt Chuck's observation. I just wonder how much worse KB's sales totals would look if I hadn't been born. ^_^

It seems to me that Green's relative popularity with jazz buyers began to flourish long before the "acid jazz" marketing thing (at least long before I was aware of it). I don't have any sales statistics, but as a jazz guitar networking nut, I had a front row seat in terms of watching Grant's popularity surge back in the early 80's. Grant's later, funkier recordings got significant attention as well, but it was the LT series stuff (and the elusive Japan-only related material) that really got the ball rolling and had people scrambling to keep up. Then came the Mosaic set, and more and more U.S. BN releases, and the momentum just carried on.

You may very well be right, Jim. Jazz wasn't on my radar in the early 80s, so I wasn't aware of that surge you describe. I was really only aware of how he was marketed and the extent of the reissues from the late 80s on.

Sorry I missed his 1959 Village Vanguard trio record with Roy Haynes re-issued on Chess in 1992. All Music has a shopping cart icon next to the title, but when you click to the album there's no link to B&N. What I've heard of that recording matches up with some of the Blue Note material. http://tinyurl.com/qvzut

A couple of years ago Blue Note reissued "Introducing" Kenny Burrell in a nice double CD. Always owned, in one form or another, Blue Lights. Here's to Louis Smith and Andy Warhol :)