WEIRD Dreams?? Recurring or one of a kind??

Once had a dream where I saw Art Blakey and Ornette Coleman doing a tenor/drum duet on a sidewalk. Blakey was playing the opening drum part to Zappa’s “Return of the Son of Monster Magnet” (complete with yell) while Ornette riffed over the beat.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreamed this the other night:

Driving in Oklahoma, I discover a tiny hamburger stand owned and operated by Andrew Hill. I could see him behind the counter, looking exactly as he looked when I saw him in concert last year.

I'd already eaten, so I wasn't in the mood for a hamburger. But I stopped to thank him for his music anyway.

My mom was in the car, and she wasn't happy with me for stopping.

(The hamburger stand looked an awful lot like the Dixie Dog in Ponca City. Anybody know the place?)

• 4 months later...

My dream is that I find out that I never really finished high school and I have to go back for a semester. But the bad part is that I have to go back at my age now (35). I hate that dream. I always wake up feeling so old.

You and I must be in the same class! I think that's a subconscious "unfinished business" thing working itself out. I have had that one a couple of times a year, for the past 15 years (since I was 25). The strange thing is, I always end up back in the same high school, except it looks nothing like any high school I have ever attended or visited - I guess it's my personal image of "HIGH SCHOOL". College however, looks like the college I went to - except it's always dark and and there's one classroom filled with homeless people. Which, now that I think of it, is kinda like the college I attended.

Funny you should mention dreams. I dreamt last night that my wife and I were visiting an old friend of ours and her husband. Her father used to be a high-level officer of the CIA. At some point I needed to return to our parked automobile to fetch something and discovered the former CIA Director, George H.W. Bush, working to conceal a microphone in our glove compartment. :angry:

Funny you should mention dreams. I dreamt last night that my wife and I were visiting an old friend of ours and her husband. Her father used to be a high-level officer of the CIA. At some point I needed to return to our parked automobile to fetch something and discovered the former CIA Director, George H.W. Bush, working to conceal a microphone in our glove compartment. :angry:

You weren't dreaming - you were sleepwalking! :lol:

I've thought about this thread lately, as I keep dreaming about all these epic battles against the forces of nature, and last night, of a force of evil. :ph34r:

One recent dream had me and Jim driving in his van (the one we always take to gigs), only down a snow-covered trail, like in the woods behind my house. It was already rough sledding, and then, to make matters worse, it seemed we were being hunted by a lioness. We got stuck and got out of the van, and then the lion attacked. My only weapon was a wooden chair (don't know where I got that from, and it didn't come with a whip, unfortunately ^_^ ). It worked pretty well for a while; everytime the lion would leap at me, I would crouch low, use the chair to redirect the lion's momentum, and send her right over the top of me. As the dream ended, it looked like she was hip to that trick, and it wasn't going to work this time...

Otherwise, it's been volcanoes, rivers, rodents, and I can't remember what else!

• 1 year later...

I've been having lots of weird dreams lately as well. Dreams about living in NYC, dreams about Joe taking over an organissimo gig by playing and singing classic rock tunes (YEAAAAAHHH!), dreams about alien invasions, dreams about ridiculous keyboard rigs, dreams about my brother moving in with Alison and I and having a HUGE dog and a bear (not cool). All sorts of crazy stuff.

I do a lot of public speaking, and so the one dream I have all the time is this: I'm in front of a crowd and I've lost my place during my talk, so I'm just stumbling around trying to find something to say, or I'm flipping through the pages of a book trying to find my words. I understand this is a common dream for people who are in front of people a lot.

I have had a recurring dream in which I am in college and I suddenly realize that I have to take a final exam that day in a class that I completely forgot about, never attended and know nothing about. I always feel very anxious and try very hard to figure out how I could have forgotten to go to the class, what happened to cause me to neglect it. I usually wake up in the middle of that tense analysis of the situation.

I have had a recurring dream in which I am in college and I suddenly realize that I have to take a final exam that day in a class that I completely forgot about, never attended and know nothing about. I always feel very anxious and try very hard to figure out how I could have forgotten to go to the class, what happened to cause me to neglect it. I usually wake up in the middle of that tense analysis of the situation.

I have that exact dream frequently, and it's usually a situation where I won't graduate if I don't pass the course. I think it's a very common dream. Sometimes there will be variations, such as I'm in a play, in full costume, about to go on stage and realize I have NO idea what any of my lines are or even what the play is about!

Another anxiety-related dream is that I'm trying to get somewhere but I'm constantly getting sidetracked- can't find my clothes, keys, car etc.

Everything seems to move in S L O W MO T I O N.

Occasionally I have good dreams- my favorite is when I dream about playing my horn and everything is working perfectly- no obstacles between my imagination and the music. I like those dreams, and they give me hope that attaining such a high level of zen-like musical consciousness is possible.

Then again, I also sometimes dream about picking up my horn and having it basically disintegrate in my hands. :huh:

EDIT: I just noticed I already posted something similar on this thread a couple years ago. Oh well. Up for redundancy. :wacko:

Edited by Free For All

Anyone else my age (36) have STAR WARS-themed dreams on a recurring basis? :rhappy:

heck yeah! :P

titeleia_padme06.JPGamidala.jpg

My little boy, aged 5, was telling me about some character he'd seen on Return Of The Jedi. After quizzing him about where and when he'd seen this alien/man he told me that he appears on the bit where, " you know Jabba The Hut? Well, you know where Leah is sitting down in that nice gold suit?" (Yeah, I know it well son.....)

Funny how children pick up on this sort of thing and also how many fond memories re-appear in later life either as dreams or fantasy :ph34r:

I have that exact dream frequently, and it's usually a situation where I won't graduate if I don't pass the course. I think it's a very common dream. Sometimes there will be variations, such as I'm in a play, in full costume, about to go on stage and realize I have NO idea what any of my lines are or even what the play is about!

Haven't had them lately, but my dream is very similar, only it's not an exam but an unfinished dissertation. In other words, I've finished all the PhD classwork, and still have an outstanding dissertation to complete. Usually, it's been a few years since the classwork was fully completed in the dream, and I've got to start and finish the dissertation by this year, etc. Very disturbing; it seems so realistic.

I have that one too, though thankfully not for several years.

It almost always is a botany class which I did manage to attend in real life. That class's professor looked a lot like Zira from the original Planet of the Apes. She even sounded a little like her. I can't remember how the Kreb's cycle works but I still recall her saying during a lecture "While I have not reproduced..." which I had no problem believing.

I have a variation on this dream which involves sitting a whole load of crucial exams for graduation in 1-2 weeks time for which I have missed the recent lectures and not done any revision for. Nobody reminds me or says anything about it so it just sort of drifts by in the dream until I wake up sweating. Things like jazz usually interfere and stop me doing the revision. :lol:

In fact I had forgotten about this dream (which recurs a lot) until I saw the thread.

I put this down to all those years of pre-Uni and Uni Engineering exams and associated panics. :alien:

Edited by sidewinder