No More Verve LPRs?

Mitchell Duval

According to a print version of the catalogue I have, the two new series, Classics and Originals, will 'gradually replace' the VME, VBR and LPR.

I'd love to know what the difference is between "Classics" and "Originals". :wacko:

Sounds like the marketing department just couldn't make up their minds.

According to a print version of the catalogue I have, the two new series, Classics and Originals, will 'gradually replace' the VME, VBR and LPR.

I'd love to know what the difference is between "Classics" and "Originals". :wacko:

Apparently the original classics were to have been classified as originals to avoid any confusion with the classic originals originally classified as classics. The original classic sleeves have been retained in their classic original form for the classics, vice versa for the originals.

Apparently the original classics were to have been classified as originals to avoid any confusion with the classic originals originally classified as classics. The original classic sleeves have been retained in their classic original form for the classics, vice versa for the originals.

Classic! And quite original too!

Changing the series seems to be part of the game - or lack of knowledge on the side of the new people in charge. It doesn't all matter that much as long as they keep reissuing stuff - some LPRs were digipaks, anyway. I only wish they would add bonus material, which they rarely did in recent years.

The change took place somewhat earlier in Yurope... the Lateef, Ayler, White, Sanders "LPRs" were already packed in jewel cases...

As for the difference: the packaging is different: the classic originals (or original classics, I always mix them up) are packed in jewel cases (replacing the LPRs which turned into classic originals or vice versa in late 2005 over here, I think), while the original classics or vice versa (classic originals) are packed in rather ugly digipacks, similar to the Anniversary series released last year (and of which a third batch seems to have been just released by Universal France, who have much more class and originality than the original class act Vivendi USA), but not glossy and shining, and with an ugly red vertical strip on the left side of the front cover... class act!

Many of the VMEs have already appeared over here as ugly classyriginals or origiclassics and cost the same ridiclassicicafragilistic exorbitant spacey price that already distinguished the VME releases.

The other ones (LPR replacements) are cheaper (LPR prize, more or less).

The big advantage for Verve is that so far, they have only upgraded (price-wise) releases, since the 'riginils only included LPR releases, while the classicists also included albums previously available as VBRs or old releases, making those one third more expensive (but no more expansive) than they were before.

Class act, Verve, huh? :crazy:

Confusing as Verve's reissue series have been, I hope that they'll continue in some form. The Elite and LRP series, especially, have been very helpful for me in discovering new artists and new recordings. It would be nice if there was some consistency in releases, but I'll take what I can get. When I first got into jazz, all I listened to was Verve, so I have a special place in my heart for Verve. :wub:

Thanks, David Ayers and everyone, for the interesting, if confounding, bits of information. Now where does everyone weigh in on on the pellet with the poison issue? Is it in the vessel with the pestle or the chalice from the palace?

No .. it is the flagon with dragon that has the pellet with the poison ... Let's hope that the new folks at Verve continue to reissue the important catalog in a decent CD format, and not just as downloads...

Garth,

Houston.

Whatever the series title (like they really need one) all their recent reissues are straight reprints of lps - no alternates or interesting session leftovers. These issues are comparitively inexpensive since they don't need "producers", liner writers and/or vault researchers.

I've really enjoyed their recent Jimmy Raney & Herb Ellis releases. Now are these parts of what was originally the mini-LP series? Or are they a separate series? It seems that Verve would do a lot better to just stick with one series and put them out in jewel cases. Greater chance of eliciting some loyalty and trust from customers that way. Their offerings seem a mess to me. At least 3 or 4 series with confusingly similar names.