Mission: Impossible III

I went to see the latest Mission Impossible movie yesterday. Haven't seen MI II, but I saw the first movie when it appeared. I'm quite fond of the original TV series, which despite the varying degrees of low budgetness managed to establish a certain kind of atmosphere. The recent movie is more like any other contemporary action film. But I admit I found it entertaining.

I'm still not sure how much I like Tom Cruise as an actor, though. To me, it's often too obvious that he's acting.

Anybody else seen it?

I saw it on Thursday night. I went in with really low expectations (MI-2 really sucked, IMO), but I really enjoyed this one. There were some really intense moments, and I actually wanted to sit and wait to see how everything would finish. I would have liked more of Philip Seymour Hoffman in the movie, as I really enjoy his acting, but his contribution was still good nonetheless. All in all, I think I still like the first one better, but MI-3 is a close second. I'm sure I'll buy this when it comes out on DVD.

I haven't seen any of these. I'd be sort of interested to see the director's first big screen effort. . . but I've stayed away from all of these because I just don't like to see Tom C on the screen. He gives me the creeps. It's a personal aversion I know.

Same here, Lon. Seeing Tom Cruise on the screen just breaks the illusion for me; all of a sudden I'm not seeing the movie, I'm seeing the idiot...

I'm not spending a dime on Cruise. Not that he needs it. I'm just sick of him and all of his bullshit.

Edited by chris olivarez

Same here, Lon. Seeing Tom Cruise on the screen just breaks the illusion for me; all of a sudden I'm not seeing the movie, I'm seeing the idiot...

I'm not spending a dime on Cruise. Not that he needs it. I'm just sick of him and all of his bullshit.

What he said. :tup

I'm still not sure how much I like Tom Cruise as an actor, though. To me, it's often too obvious that he's acting.

You hit the nail on the head. I've long had a similar reaction to him.

Of course, with all the bullshit he's been tossing lately, it's hard to see him and not think of all that.

(But I was a big fan of the old TV series; guess I still am. One of the all-time best "action/spy" musical themes, courtesy of Lalo Schiffrin. The main thing about the series was that the group accomplished it's 'impossible' missions through complex teamwork; the movies dispense with that in favor of Cruise's character, Ethan Hunt, being the big hero. Yawn.)

I saw it on Thursday night. I went in with really low expectations (MI-2 really sucked, IMO), but I really enjoyed this one. There were some really intense moments, and I actually wanted to sit and wait to see how everything would finish. I would have liked more of Philip Seymour Hoffman in the movie, as I really enjoy his acting, but his contribution was still good nonetheless. All in all, I think I still like the first one better, but MI-3 is a close second. I'm sure I'll buy this when it comes out on DVD.

Agree. Forget the 'story' and overlook TC's manic screen hogging and you are left with a surprisingly intense almost non stop action adrenaline rush film.

I was in NYC this past week and was heading back to the hotel to drop off some things and came across a bunch of people hanging around the back of the Ed Sullivan Theater where they film the David Letterman show; I asked what was going on....apparently TC was filming the Letterman show that day and he was suppose to be coming out soon. I hung out for a few minutes and out comes Jamey Oliver (the naked chef with clothes on) and then TC comes through the door.......people screaming "Tom, we love you" and shit like that......creepy~

I managed to get off a few shots before getting the hell out of there. Hundreds of people, blocking the street......going crazy.....Tom working the crowd with that million dollar smile, signing autographs and posing for pictures! Feel free to print this picture off to use as a litter box liner or cover for you dart boards!

m~

If I want to see Mission Impossible I'll Look for dvd's of the TV show.

From what I know the TV series has not been out on DVD. Already a few years ago I heard from somewhere that there would be releases in connection with the third MI movie. We'll see...